What vinyl are you spinning now?

swt61

10 hours ago, robm321 said:

I have that record. It's fantastic. 

The reissue?

Speaking of which, been trying to get this particular record sounding better. Been a combo of dial-a-vta on the Tri, cart loading (going from a 100 to 250 ohms on my 40 ohm resistance DL-S1 - the usual recommendation is 10x but I forgot to adjust it from my previous much lower Zyx ... ) but the kicker was needing to clean the record. Well, took the RCM out of the garage where it survived a few Michigan winters and Texas summers over a decade and the reservoir and associated tubing had disintegrated - discovered after of course topping it off with fluid, which meant a torrential downpour of a gentle vinegar smell on top of my record cabinet. 

So ordered a new reservoir assembly (awesome that vendors sell serviceable equipment with available parts) and got the Sibelius record cleaned last night and dialed in and I think we are a go. The surface noise is so much better now! The higher cart loading setting is still in judgment phase.

7C3C8870-A63F-439A-953C-E65D3CC2738F.jpeg

7D1EADD1-A3C4-45F3-99D3-88B021289F3C.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice!

I conducted the same experiment on a really dirty record I'd purchased from Goodwill. I was astonished at the job the VPI cleaner did.

BTW, I'm keeping my eye out for that ultra low Benz.

And I had no idea that Christina Ricci was a double threat?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Nice!

I conducted the same experiment on a really dirty record I'd purchased from Goodwill. I was astonished at the job the VPI cleaner did.

BTW, I'm keeping my eye out for that ultra low Benz.

And I had no idea that Christina Ricci was a double threat?

I know right? You should hear her version of Bach’s Air on the G String!

Yes, the reissue. I had a problem with my cartridge distorting during dense-complex passages with only this record. I tried adding weight, adjusting VTA, etc., and pretty much gave up on it. Years later after moving and setting up the same cartrige, I decided to try it again. It handled everything without issue. Still have no idea what the issue was before. I've always used a RCM.

Edited by robm321
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the reissue. I had a problem with my cartridge distorting during dense-complex passages with only this record. I tried adding weight, adjusting VTA, etc., and pretty much gave up on it. Years later after moving and setting up the same cartrige, I decided to try it again. It handled everything without issue. Still have no idea what the issue was before. I've always used a RCM.

Interesting - yeah it has a lot of dynamic range. Same phono stage as well?
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, robm321 said:

Yep same phone stage. It was likely something that I overlooked. 

I listened to the first side again this morning and cranked it up - I couldn’t get anything really to break down, it sounded great with huge dynamic swings.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

20210508_113144.jpg

20210508_113148.jpg

This is a very early re-release, and has more in common with his early days as Buddy Holley's bass player, than the Country star he became.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2