Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Posted (edited)

All bookcases completed.

And the other project I alluded to... This Walnut cookie was cut from a tree on Al's Brother's property, where now stands his new house. This table will now sit on the covered veranda, not far from where the tree originally stood. 

Al found the base from a seller we've used before for table legs.

20240504_113347.jpg

20240504_113353.jpg

Hard to see from my poor photography skills, but there's lots of burl in this piece.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 11

Here's a better shot of the Walnut cookie table top that we delivered toady. Part of the top was in the sun this morning, and you can see the beautiful, crazy grain patterns.

20240508_082751.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Building the first headphone stand I've done in at least 10 years. Actually probably closer to 15.

I had a return customer contact me recently, and the timing was right. 

Got the hanger pieces milled up today from the same Walnut burl as the cookie table above.

This will be a wall hanging headphone holder, with 5 hanger pieces and a curly Maple back board. Pics to come after it's finished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the bench sander, but even hooked up to dust collection, most of it still collects on me.

ridgid-sheet-sanders-eb4424-64_600.jpg

I've had that sander since 2005. It's one of a few tools that I didn't lose in the hurricane. 

And as a bonus, I now know what tone to use should I ever run for President. 

10 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I love the bench sander, but even hooked up to dust collection, most of it still collects on me.

ridgid-sheet-sanders-eb4424-64_600.jpg

I've had that sander since 2005. It's one of a few tools that I didn't lose in the hurricane. 

My AI assistant refuses to generate a double entendre using the keywords "Steve", "Rigid Tool", "Hard Wood", " particulate emissions"

Saying "it's too easy"

Edited by Grahame
  • Haha 3

On 5/21/2024 at 1:21 PM, swt61 said:

Building the first headphone stand I've done in at least 10 years. Actually probably closer to 15.

I had a return customer contact me recently, and the timing was right. 

Got the hanger pieces milled up today from the same Walnut burl as the cookie table above.

This will be a wall hanging headphone holder, with 5 hanger pieces and a curly Maple back board. Pics to come after it's finished.

Did you at least ask Larry this time?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Also, I realize that this isn't the best place to seek out customers, but I just want to state that I am open to building stands, faceplate, amp cases, gear racks, what have you. I'm hoping to retire from the heavy lifting of construction work, but still want to keep busy building things I love.

Also open to small furniture pieces, cutting boards & the usual wood crafts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Also, I realize that this isn't the best place to seek out customers, but I just want to state that I am open to building stands, faceplate, amp cases, gear racks, what have you. I'm hoping to retire from the heavy lifting of construction work, but still want to keep busy building things I love.

Going to need a Swiss lathe to make AirPod holders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, naamanf said:

I hear The Donald is looking for work and he has tiny hands.

Edited by morphsci
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

Is hand delivery an option? :)

Steve is truly a master of marketing and promoting his work, but I thought I would try to get a few shots of this headphone rack that didn't contain his belly or fingers or our messy shop. It is not an easy thing to photograph but here are some shots that give a better flavor of this beautiful piece.

DSC01715.JPG

DSC01708.JPG

DSC01712.JPG

DSC01718.JPG

DSC01716.JPG

DSC01717.JPG

DSC01711.JPG

• Like 9

I just assumed that people would want to see how the belly was coming along as well. 

However, it is true that I do my best work on the other side of the camera.

8sdwcy.jpg

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I think a AirPod stand would be a ballsy move.

On 5/30/2024 at 3:39 PM, naamanf said:

Had to borrow a 3D printer, but challenge excepted, and your AirPod stand is complete.

s-l1600.jpg

Be sure to leave it on the street on Wednesday morning.

Edited by swt61
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I just watched a YouTube video on a newish product called Obsidian Ebony.

True Gabon Ebony is expensive and not that easy to come by, as it's also endangered. This product is designed as an alternative, though I haven't compared pricing yet.

This product is best suited for plugs, splines, decorative inlays and such. As in larger pieces it's not as passable due to it's lack of Brown streaks common in real Ebony.

Ebony is quite brittle and this product is similar, though not quite as brittle as real Ebony. It seems to polish up to the same dull glow as actual Ebony. It's just more uniformly Black than real Ebony. 

It's generally made from Maple, though some companies are also using Birch. I think Maple would be better suited, as it's a denser, harder wood than Birch.

It's made by thermally modifying Maple (or Birch) to a dark Black/Brown color throughout the entire thickness of the wood. This process is also known as torrefaction. After the heat modification, the wood is infused with colored resin under pressure. It not only gives a consistent color throughout the grain, but also stabilizes the wood to a large extent. 

I'm planning on building some game boards soon, and am thinking of trying this product out as an inlay strip. Hopefully more to follow.

https://sustainablebiz.ca/thermalwood-canada-sees-obsidian-as-sustainable-alternative-to-ebony#:~:text=Obsidian is produced by taking,and tonal characteristics of ebony.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...