August 25th NorCal Regional Meet

PFKMan23

Here are my impressions from our meet.

I had a great time at the meet, as well. I was able to see some old friends like robm, rhythmdevils and asr (who did a great job of organizing). I also got to meet some new people, and put faces to some names that I?ve seen around on the boards.

RSA Apache:

I heard this amp using the Ayre CX7e and it was a completely underwhelming experience. This was the first thing I listened to and I spent over 30 minutes on it. It simply did not engage me in any way shape or form when I was using my 580s and listening to some CDs I had brought with me. The sound was extremely dull and devoid of dynamics, especially with Eric Clapton Unplugged and the Eagle?s Hell Freezes Over albums. The mini cubed performance edition running out of kramer5150?s Sony PCDP was just a much more engaging experience with superior imaging, impact, soundstage and dynamics. I also feel that the Eddie Current Redtop and Zana Deux were much better performers in this regard over the Apache.

Eddie Current Redtop:

I was able to go into the K1000 room to listen to this amp on Craig?s JVC CDP with his Moth DAC. It was a very very good sounding amp with articulate bass, and imaging. It is definitely a contender at it?s pricepoint (~$600). As I said, above it definitely contends with the big boys. I also was able to have a brief chat with the man himself and he shares a definite enthusiasm for his work.

Headamp Pico:

This is definitely a winner. I listened to this out of Justin?s Mac Laptop and the sound was really nice. Very articulate and definitely comparable to some of the bigger set ups out there. The preciseness and imaging were phenomenal for something so small. I definitely will be looking to see how this progresses. This was something that seemed to attract a lot of attention and I?m glad I know why.

Xin Reference:

This was also a really good sounding amp. The soundstage was definitely much larger than what I?ve heard in the past from portables and from some home amps. Listening to kramer?s PCDP, my 580s with one of my favorites Eric Claton Unplugged, it was definitely a very bouncy combination with a good midrange and really nice imaging. Not yet sure I believe the hype of this amp, but it is definitely something to consider. If only the wait wasn?t so long?..

Amb Labs mini cubed:

This amp is a definite star. The soundstage was large, the imaging was precise, vocals were crisp and articulate with the bass being done really well. I had a great time listening to this amp using my headphones of choice and my music of choice. I was really surprised as this amp went toe to toe with some heavy weights. I thought I was done with portables, but this amp has me thinking twice as I feel it can definitely compete with other offerings and would definitely have a place in my system. As I told Ti at the meet, I also feel that the battery saver and performance editions do give off somewhat of a misleading vibe as I do feel that on performance alone that there are some who would easily prefer the battery saver version?s presentation.

Zana Deux:

I listened to this on the reel to reel system and it was very nice sounding. The resolution was fantastic with this set up. I did feel however that it was a tad bright and rough. But it was very good otherwise.

L3000:

I heard this with 909?s Reimyo and Moth 2a3. I felt it was overly lush and warm to a syrupy slow consistency. I can definitely see why some would like the combination, but it was definitely not suitable for my tastes. I also realized that the wingtip?s and my head do not have good synergy.

GS1000:

I heard this using amb?s mini cubed and it was bright. When I started cfranking up the volume, even before I hit what I feel is my normal listening volume, it was too bright for me.

The pico and the mini cubed were both very nice sounding. I didn't really compare them, so I can't say. It's also worthy of note that the pico was running as a DAC as well, so that's another variable. I think both are great options. I only spent a very small amount of time with the pico, so...

As far as the Xin Ref vs. Mini cubed goes, my answer is yes an no. I think both are good sounding amps. The Xin Ref has seemingly more bass. I could really be happy with either. Although speaking in real terms, with the wait time and the price difference between the two, it's a no brainer if I had to choose. I was actually thinknig about ordering one next month, although I will most likely get a mini cubed from somewhere at this point.

Honestly, I was pretty depressed that the Apache sounded so poor. I was expecting a fairly good sounding amp but to be bested by portables just is shocking to me. Knowing what I know now I don'tt know that I'd spend 1k for it, much less 3k.

isn't the apogee like $700 and the pico ($???)

Don't want to spend too much on a portable solution for work and car trips...

I don't think you'll really need to worry about the Apogee unless you have a use for non-USB digital inputs, or balanced outputs. I'm pretty sure that the Pico sounds at least as good (if not better) when both are used as DAC and amp. And as a trans/portable unit, the Pico has the advantage of an analog input for the headphone amp. I think Justin said it was going to be $300/500 (sans-DAC/with-DAC). The Apogee is ~$700 w/o USB/FW or $850+ w USB or FW.

(to more or less address your PM): I've not heard the 0404 USB before, as compared to the 0404 PCI, nor have I taken one apart, so I couldn't exactly say the modding possibilities. Even modded, if it sounds the same as the PCI version, it wouldn't be in the league of the other two as a source. I have no clue about the quality of the headphone amp. I'd just roll with the thing, and if it just really isn't cutting it for you, then you can ponder what to do next. Who knows, perhaps just getting away from that crappy onboard sound will be all you need for the situations in question.

sounds like the mini-cubed is going to be ordered soon >:D

need it for the emu 0404 usb ;)

I like the EMU 0404 usb myself. I use it with a Yamamoto HA-02 as an office rig with w5000s.. I probably will have the mini^3 I have coming to me (Maxed with all boutique parts still like 120 or less I forget but my builder is only charging me cost of parts).