Me and my Zana Deux (+ pics)...

mulveling

There's a fan in the chassis?? I wonder if there's one in mine. I dunno my SDS with the tube complement i have now is really kickass. I've heard the Qualias out of a properly tube tuned Zana Deux and it was pretty damn good as well. I can't really cede a victory to it ;p

The Zana Deux definitely sounds better with w5000s so far but I haven't really looked for tubes to optimize that sound on the SDS ;p But the SDS definitely sounds better for me with L3Ks (Though this was with the kenrad/sylvania 6SN7 tube complement which isn't super duper optimal for anything).

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what little I've heard, purk's "SE" version is a sonically step up from mine, especially with the R10. The Zana Deux is competing with my SDS, so I'm guessing that the SDS SE would be a bit better than the ZD as a headphone amp, though perhaps not for all headphones (Qualia?). This is the first time I've had a headphone amp in house, where (after at least a week of listening) I felt it was at the level of the SDS, with multiple headphones - besides Purk's SDS, of course.

The noise floor is definitely higher on my SDS than the Zana, not sure about purk's, but the noise doesn't bother me. I'm a vinyl fan, remember? :D I think most of the noise floor is coming from the chassis fan's vibrations transported through the chassis to the tubes and exciting them micro phonically. Which bring me backs to the chassis - the big steel chassis looks awesome (IMO) and is a conversation starter for sure - but it's a terrible liability as a preamp because it's incapable of managing or dissipating vibrations.

The ZD is an excellent amp for the Qualia. The ZD is an excellent preamp. I used it with my F1 for speakers and K1000. The biggest issue I had was the heat generated by both amps. I simply couldn't tolerate it in the room I am using now.

fans in an amp especially a tube amp, he supposedly doesn't do it any more, but it seems so counterintuitive. i can't even think of one instance where i've seen or read about an amp having a fan in it--very strange.

A few big power amps that use tubes like KT88s have fans in them.

Yeah I can't even imagine using a ZD in a Cali summer. Let alone a florida summer. That is just... geh :/ I wish I had bought your ZD though Tyrion !

Your summer is like our winter. It felt like the temp in the room would go up about 10 degrees from the rest of the house. The WA5 doesn't get nearly as hot.

crazy, how could you stand the heat or sleep comfortably without pumping the a/c?

my folks always kept the temperature in our home around 68* during the warm or hot months and 78* during the cold ones. my wife and i like to keep out place pretty cool usually below 70* though not below 64* when it's cold.

crazy, how could you stand the heat or sleep comfortably without pumping the a/c?

my folks always kept the temperature in our home around 68* during the warm or hot months and 78* during the cold ones. my wife and i like to keep out place pretty cool usually below 70* though not below 64* when it's cold.

I know what you mean, I got too comfortable with central air in my apartment. So now if it gets over 75 in my room I usually just sleep in the basement's (fully furnished) guest bedroom which is always really cool.

I thought about moving my headphone setup to the basement lounge/game room just because it's so cool. But meh laziness ;D (I was only home a month).

I can't stand the cold, usually keep it at 78-80 :laugh:

Living where I live, every few years a hurricane comes through and knocks out the power for 1-3 weeks. You really do start to get used to falling asleep in a pool of your own sweat, but after you get used to it you get all crazy in your head. Like you sleep in sweat all night, get up and take a cold shower, and go to work and you're like, I don't know, crazy. I felt so insane in those weeks after Katrina, probably was the whole scene that contributed to it.

Modern houses aren't built to take advantage of breezes, and this becomes a painful fact in southern alabama with no power in september.

so far as temp I like it at around 74. :)

my apartment should be a constant 67* ;)

Haha, same here. Hot-running tube amps, no problem - just crank that AC.

So I like it pretty cold - but sophomore year college, I had one roommate in my on-campus apartment (4 bdr, 2 bath) that just seemed crazy. He's always turn the AC up to the point that I was fucking freezing, in the middle of a GA summer. He actually looked kinda like an eskimo, so we thought it was just in the blood...but one day we were in his bedroom and we saw he had all the air vents sealed shut with paper & tape (keep in mind HE was the one who always cranked the AC), so we all like had a major WTF moment right then.

Seriously, Willis....WTF????!!!