Me and my Zana Deux (+ pics)...

mulveling

I've had a Zana Deux for about a month. It is more versatile and better overall than the RSA Raptor, Lehmann Black Cube Linear and AT-HA5000, three amps I've owned for over a year.

The ZD drives the L3000, PS-1, HP-2, R10 and Qualia much better than the other three amps. With the HD650, HD600 or K701, the Raptor and Lehmann are more competitive but still out-classed by the ZD. The AT-HA5000 is competitive with the ZD and wins in some areas driving the W5000, but I still prefer the ZD. There are some headphones I haven't tried with the ZD yet, including the AD2000, W2002, W11JPN, HF-1 and SA5000. I expect the ZD to also perform very well.

I can probably sell the Raptor and AT-HA5000 now. The Lehmann is useful due to its small size and preamp functionality, and it was my first "real amp," so I'll keep it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's pretty amazing (and crazy) having three amps of this caliber simultaneously. The differences are quite striking.

Zana Deux

Strengths: Large sound stage, impeccably neutral tone and lack of coloration.

Weaknesses: Lacking punch & dynamics compared to the Singlepowers, however it's still better in this area than any other amp I've heard: Ray Samuels, Headroom, Melos, Berning, Woo, etc.

Stock toaster-style SDS w/ slam adaptors:

Strengths: Sound stage size, lush warm "tubey" tone, silky smoothness, musical coherence & euphony abound. Good dynamics.

Weaknesses: Just a tad more "fuzzy" than the Zana Deux and Supra SE, shows a slight weakness (higher distortion) in driving low impedance cans at high volumes (HP2, R10).

Supra SE (high voltage option for output tubes):

Strengths: Insane dynamics & slam, incredible bass control & power. Great tone. Amazing pairing with the L3000. Tight control over true whole spectrum; very forward and detailed. Not sure if this is over-emphasized detail, but it sounds good. Beautiful glossy black chassis ;D

Weaknesses: Sometimes I like the warm fuzzy sound of the SDS :) Stock SDS might be a better fit for the HD650; maybe the 650 wasn't meant to be this slammin' dynamic, and is in fact better served when its warmth and sound stage are fully fleshed out by the SDS. However, I'm told that I can get that warmer sound with other tube complements.

For some tube context: the Zana Deux is running a Tung-Sol round plate 6sl7, the SDS has Tung-Sol round plate 6sn7 & GE or Tung-Sol (D getter) 5687 outputs, the Supra has GE 6BL7GTA outputs and some weird Mullard European tube that Purk said was great for dynamics (away from home now so I can't check it). I don't have a large cache of tubes on hand for rolling :(

Still have yet to try the Qualias on the Supra. I generally don't like to do gear-comparison sessions. Prefer to enjoy music with one set of gear and then collect my averaged thoughts over time.

It's pretty amazing (and crazy) having three amps of this caliber simultaneously. The differences are quite striking.

Zana Deux

Weaknesses: Lacking punch & dynamics compared to the Singlepowers, however it's still better in this area than any other amp I've heard: Ray Samuels, Headroom, Melos, Berning, Woo, etc.

Strengths: Sound stage size, lush warm "tubey" tone, silky smoothness, musical coherence & euphony abound. Good dynamics.

Weaknesses: Just a tad more "fuzzy" than the Zana Deux and Supra SE, shows a slight weakness (higher distortion) in driving low impedance cans at high volumes (HP2, R10).

Strengths: Insane dynamics & slam, incredible bass control & power. Great tone. Amazing pairing with the L3000. Tight control over true whole spectrum; very forward and detailed. Not sure if this is over-emphasized detail, but it sounds good. Beautiful glossy black chassis ;D

Weaknesses: Sometimes I like the warm fuzzy sound of the SDS :) Stock SDS might be a better fit for the HD650; maybe the 650 wasn't meant to be this slammin' dynamic, and is in fact better served when its warmth and sound stage are fully fleshed out by the SDS. However, I'm told that I can get that warmer sound with other tube complements.

For some tube context: the Zana Deux is running a Tung-Sol round plate 6sl7, the SDS has Tung-Sol round plate 6sn7 & GE or Tung-Sol (D getter) 5687 outputs, the Supra has GE 6BL7GTA outputs and some weird Mullard European tube that Purk said was great for dynamics (away from home now so I can't check it). I don't have a large cache of tubes on hand for rolling :(

Still have yet to try the Qualias on the Supra. I generally don't like to do gear-comparison sessions. Prefer to enjoy music with one set of gear and then collect my averaged thoughts over time.

Mike,

Just use the Tungsol 6SNGT or Kenrad VT231 blackglass as the input tube, and your Senn HD-650 should sound fantastic.

Ugh, this is too much. After a few more hours listening today, the last few on the Zana Deux, I don't think I'm going to be able to sell it. So damn musical where it counts, and I think it's a better preamp. Decisions, decisions.

I find decisions are much easier when you're broke. I decide I can't afford anything and continue with my day. Not a single post in the 'last thing you bought' thread. *sigh*

Ugh, this is too much. After a few more hours listening today, the last few on the Zana Deux, I don't think I'm going to be able to sell it. So damn musical where it counts, and I think it's a better preamp. Decisions, decisions.

If you sell the ZD, you will regret it as I did. I haven't compared to those other amps as a preamp but it is an outstanding preamp.

Nope I believe Craig was able to source them, I believe he is still planning and accepting deposits for the next run.

That's great! Wish the high end headphone legends were still in production too. :(

There's no way I can sell this amp now fellas. It's kind of like the feeling I got before selling the HP2, except worse. I'd be kicking myself, I know it. The stuff that doesn't stand out (unlike drum thwacks, etc), that's not impressive on first listen, the "musical glue" that's vital for long term listening enjoyment - the Zana Deux excels at this.

I've spent a lot of good times with this amp. We have history now :)

The stuff that doesn't stand out (unlike drum thwacks, etc), that's not impressive on first listen, the "musical glue" that's vital for long term listening enjoyment - the Zana Deux excels at this.

That's a perfect way of describing it. The amp is meant to impress over a long period of time, to get better with age. I like your term "musical glue" which explains very well the type of balance and cohesiveness the amp possesses that make it enjoyable for long term listening.

Hi Mike!

Was wondering where you've been all this time. You're finally back!

We have been wondering where our L3000's No. 1 fanboy goes!

Count me in too....I think the L3ks are the only headphones that survived the endless rotations in my collection! :angel:

Did I ever mention how rock solid the Zana Deux is?

Not a single issue or quibble with it all these months, and from what I understand the previous owner put quite a few hours on...using the same 6c33 and rectifier tubes I've got in there. Also sports a ridiculously low noise level for a tube amp.

Last night I just had the right ch heater go out on a Tung Sol 6sn7 in my SDS. This is the second time that's happened (same channel too), and on a different tube from a different seller (I hadn't put that many hours on either). Probably just bad luck with tubes, but it made me think about how reliable that Zana, and its tubes, have been.

Count me in too....I think the L3ks are the only headphones that survived the endless rotations in my collection! :angel:

Yep, L3000 4eva here :)

Guest sacd lover

You are comparing apples and oranges. A Tung Sol 6sn7gt is what 60 years old? ..... and handled in who knows what manner over the years. I have more trouble with old 6sn7's than I do anything; especially the TS round plates, Ken Rads and NU's. Plus, the 6sn7gt will be working a lot harder in the SP amps gain slot.

The 6C33's are barely turned on in the Zana @ 10% dissipation and 5.7 volts for the heaters. 6C33's now available were made when 1970 .... at the earliest? You likely have 6C33's from the 1980's.

The TS black glass 6su7gty's you have coming for the Zana's gain slot will be a much better comparison; although those TS's had incredible QC. All theie 6su7gty's were specially screened for noise and section matching and burnt in for 48 hours before they left the factory.

Not a single issue or quibble with it all these months, and from what I understand the previous owner put quite a few hours on...using the same 6c33 and rectifier tubes I've got in there. Also sports a ridiculously low noise level for a tube amp.

Last night I just had the right ch heater go out on a Tung Sol 6sn7 in my SDS. This is the second time that's happened (same channel too), and on a different tube from a different seller (I hadn't put that many hours on either). Probably just bad luck with tubes, but it made me think about how reliable that Zana, and its tubes, have been.

Looks like you should be keeping all three amps - you seem to like each of them for its special qualities! I'm thinking hard about tube amps nowadays but I'm not sure what to reach for, as I hardly had any experience with tubes in my life. ???

You are comparing apples and oranges. A Tung Sol 6sn7gt is what 60 years old? ..... and handled in who knows what manner over the years. I have more trouble with old 6sn7's than I do anything; especially the TS round plates, Ken Rads and NU's. Plus, the 6sn7gt will be working a lot harder in the SP amps gain slot.

The 6C33's are barely turned on in the Zana @ 10% dissipation and 5.7 volts for the heaters. 6C33's now available were made when 1970 .... at the earliest? You likely have 6C33's from the 1980's.

The TS black glass 6su7gty's you have coming for the Zana's gain slot will be a much better comparison; although those TS's had incredible QC. All theie 6su7gty's were specially screened for noise and section matching and burnt in for 48 hours before they left the factory.

That's true, 6sn7's have seemed far more flakey than any other tube type. Many have micro-phonics (ranging from bad to ridiculous), I had one go nuts in a microZOTL, and now the heater issues. Nothing against my SDS; I love & cherish its absolutely unique/extraordinary sound quality and its quirks (like the internal fan ;D) are small in comparison to that.

Yep, my 6c33's are dated 76 and 80. BTW I just got your generous package of 6su7 tubes, popped the first one in and works great. Thanks for the great deal :)

• 3 weeks later...

Zana Deux

Thanks mulveling for your impressions on the 3 amps. That helps a lot since I haven't heard a Zana yet. It is one of the amps that I've always contemplating purchasing. I'm really, really happy with Todd's old amp "The Dragon" with my HD650. If I did have to buy another high end amp I would definitely go with the Zana. Glad you're keeping it.

Thanks mulveling for your impressions on the 3 amps. That helps a lot since I haven't heard a Zana yet. It is one of the amps that I've always contemplating purchasing. I'm really, really happy with Todd's old amp "The Dragon" with my HD650. If I did have to buy another high end amp I would definitely go with the Zana. Glad you're keeping it.

I doubt that you want to purchase the Zana when you already have the Dragon. If I'm not mistaken, the Dragon should be in same level as my SDS-SE. I gave the GE12AY7 to Mike recently for him to use as an input tube and he is even more impressed with the Supra SE now.

I doubt that you want to purchase the Zana when you already have the Dragon. If I'm not mistaken, the Dragon should be in same level as my SDS-SE. I gave the GE12AY7 to Mike recently for him to use as an input tube and he is even more impressed with the Supra SE now.

Thanks for your insight Purk. I was thinking about that, but since I never heard a SDS-SE I wouldn't know. One day I gotta fly up and join a meet with my amp. It would be interesting getting it from Hawaii over to the CONUS though. I gotta check the GE12AY7 tube as well. :)

Thanks for your insight Purk. I was thinking about that, but since I never heard a SDS-SE I wouldn't know. One day I gotta fly up and join a meet with my amp. It would be interesting getting it from Hawaii over to the CONUS though. I gotta check the GE12AY7 tube as well. :)

I still love the Zana...

In a few days I'll probably swap the Zana back into the headphone rig and see how it facilitates long-term musical enjoyment following up to the 12ay7/6bl7gta Supra SE. I kinda miss its sound, and the continuous volume pot is a plus, in my book - easy to dial in just the right volume. I agree with others that the Zana is an amp that becomes appreciated more with long term ownership.

But yeah, your Dragon is probably awesome as well. I often wonder what the hell I'm doing with 3 similar quality, expensive amps; still it's hard to choose 1 or 2 over the others. I should probably have just 1 balanced amp w/ pre outs, but that would involve a lot of work & worry - that and I don't want to have my L3000 cables modded.

I still love the Zana...

In a few days I'll probably swap the Zana back into the headphone rig and see how it facilitates long-term musical enjoyment following up to the 12ay7/6bl7gta Supra SE. I kinda miss its sound, and the continuous volume pot is a plus, in my book - easy to dial in just the right volume. I agree with others that the Zana is an amp that becomes appreciated more with long term ownership.

But yeah, your Dragon is probably awesome as well. I often wonder what the hell I'm doing with 3 similar quality, expensive amps; still it's hard to choose 1 or 2 over the others. I should probably have just 1 balanced amp w/ pre outs, but that would involve a lot of work & worry - that and I don't want to have my L3000 cables modded.

Good points for sure mulveling. The Dragon is great. I've been happy with it from day one. I'm not sure what is meant by a continuous volume pot, but I'm assuming it is like my SP SLAM PPX3. It doesn't have a stepped attenuator, but the Dragon does. I do like the fact that I can dial in to what I'm listening to on my SLAM, and once in a great while have some trouble dialing in just right with the Dragon, but it's a small thing for me, and the sound with the stepped attenuator installed is probably better than having it without one.

Sure wish you guys could come over and check out the Dragon... Just come to Hawaii :) and enjoy the sun and beaches.

BTW, what type of GE12AY7 am I looking for. I see some from 1950s and then some from 1960s? They vary in price from $50 for one to $20 on Ebay. I'm pretty much a tube noob :), so not sure where a good reliable place would be to purchase tubes. Any insight and help is much appreciated.