Me and my Zana Deux (+ pics)...

mulveling

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i quite prefered the Zana to my nicely upgraded (though not maxed) MPX3, regardless of what tubes i used in my MPX, which was quite a variety.

Yes, I distinctly remember someone saying "I'm buying one of those" after listening to my Zana, but then he got caught up in all that speaker hocus pocus...

I'll keep my Zana. Though I've not heard a lot of Singlepower amps, I feel the Zana is giving me great sound for the money.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm back in action, I think :P

In my online absence, I've gone back and forth on the SDS vs Zana Deux thing. One the one hand, the Zana Deux sounds more neutral and tonally accurate, over the SDS. I really respect that, and for a while that really did it for me. On the other hand, the SDS is a more dynamic sound at the expense of a bit of coloration - BUT a very euphonic (warm, wet, lush, liquid) coloration at that, one which I don't want to get away from, in the long run. You know, I think I'm coming to a similar conclusion in power amps - going for a slightly "dirty" euphonic sound on my Tannoys with vintage amps (Heathkit W4A, McIntosh MC2100) over the state-of-the-art neutral sound (Parasound JC1, VAC Auricle Monoblocks).

I do feel the Zana Deux is more powerful in that it can go LOUDER on the hard-to-drive cans before noticeable distortion sets in. Though I don't have the HP2 or R10 anymore, those were what I'd consider the hardest to drive high-end headphones, and my un-upgraded SDS ran out of gas at loud (but well before ear-splitting) volumes. Heavy bass passages, especially orchestral, would distort noticeably. On the other hand, the distortion was very pleasing and not at all objectionable until extreme breakup. The 5687 output tubes in the SDS largely mitigates this issue vs the crappy 6sn7's, but it's not completely gone. The higher voltage option (which mine doesn't have) cures its completely, without losing the euphonic "magic" so to speak. So, I've just recently been thinking of selling the Zana Deux to pick up a voltage-upgraded Supra :D

I'll miss the preamp functionality of the Zana, for which it's probably better suited than the SDS/Supra, being tonally neutral and all. Still thinking about keeping it...but about 80% decided at this point.

I've been splitting listening time between the L3000 and HD650 - the 650 just comes into a league of its own, for certain records, on my vinyl rig (which I'm proud to say has remained unchanged since I got it in May).

So, how've you all been? :D

Hey guys,

I'm back in action, I think :P

In my online absence, I've gone back and forth on the SDS vs Zana Deux thing. One the one hand, the Zana Deux sounds more neutral and tonally accurate, over the SDS. I really respect that, and for a while that really did it for me. On the other hand, the SDS is a more dynamic sound at the expense of a bit of coloration - BUT a very euphonic (warm, wet, lush, liquid) coloration at that, one which I don't want to get away from, in the long run. You know, I think I'm coming to a similar conclusion in power amps - going for a slightly "dirty" euphonic sound on my Tannoys with vintage amps (Heathkit W4A, McIntosh MC2100) over the state-of-the-art neutral sound (Parasound JC1, VAC Auricle Monoblocks).

I do feel the Zana Deux is more powerful in that it can go LOUDER on the hard-to-drive cans before noticeable distortion sets in. Though I don't have the HP2 or R10 anymore, those were what I'd consider the hardest to drive high-end headphones, and my un-upgraded SDS ran out of gas at loud (but well before ear-splitting) volumes. Heavy bass passages, especially orchestral, would distort noticeably. On the other hand, the distortion was very pleasing and not at all objectionable until extreme breakup. The 5687 output tubes in the SDS largely mitigates this issue vs the crappy 6sn7's, but it's not completely gone. The higher voltage option (which mine doesn't have) cures its completely, without losing the euphonic "magic" so to speak. So, I've just recently been thinking of selling the Zana Deux to pick up a voltage-upgraded Supra :D

I'll miss the preamp functionality of the Zana, for which it's probably better suited than the SDS/Supra, being tonally neutral and all. Still thinking about keeping it...but about 80% decided at this point.

I've been splitting listening time between the L3000 and HD650 - the 650 just comes into a league of its own, for certain records, on my vinyl rig (which I'm proud to say has remained unchanged since I got it in May).

So, how've you all been? :D

We have been wondering where our L3000's No. 1 fanboy goes!

Welcome back to civilization Mike! Get Purk to loan you that newer model Supra he has with the high voltage upgrade and see if it will work for you. If not, why not just wait the few months and have your SDS upgraded by Mikhail? Just use the ZD until it gets back. Its going to be hard to find as nice as sounding amp as your toaster SDS. I would have it upgraded.

Hey Mike, glad to see you back!

Why would you ever change anything on that gorgeous Sota?

I still have my K340, but my rig has improved drastically, and even I can't believe it but I now own some Sennheisers. HD 580s w/600 grills and balanced cables.

Oh, every since you bought your Sota, and commented on the vinyl sound I've been keeping my eyes open. About a month ago I bought a Mitsubishi LT-30. I used to own one in the 80's, and I'm in the process of sprucing this one up with a new wooden plinth and other goodies.

Thanks for bringing me back to vinyl.

Steve & Tom,

Great to see you guys hanging out here now! With all the people on board here, there's really no reason to even bother with head-fi anymore :D

Tom - yep, I'm gonna nab that high voltage Supra from purk. "It's just for a few days man - then I'll bring it right back". Yeah, that's the ticket. Damn, he does have my Qualias for collateral though >:(

Steve, hope you get a vinyl rig running soon. It's worth it just to be able to grab a stack of excellent music on the cheap, then it's really worth it when you clean 'em up and realize how glorious they sound (except for the occasional dud).

Ryan & Mike,

Great to see you guys still here!

Ryan, congrats on the Zana Deux! It's a fantastic piece of art & engineering. I really do feel it hits perfect neutrality better than anything else I've ever heard. I was in love with it too, but in the end I can't get away from my craving for that lush, punchy Singlepower house sound (with the appropriate tube complement). Kind of like my intense craving for alcohol, which I am attempting to put a stop to :-\ I do think the Zana is a better preamp than my SDS, and I'll probably regret letting go of it for that very reason.