Closed Phone for $100??

tkam

I'm looking to get a pair of closed phones for around $100. I prefer full-sized phones and in terms of importance I'd say sound quality #1, isolation #2 and everything else pretty much irrelevant. Two that have caught my eye so far are the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 and the Equation RP-21. Any other suggestions or thoughts on those two?

If you haven't chosen by then, I'll probably have some impression on RP-21's. I just need to burn them in some more and get a some decent listening time in with them.

And I've got a pair of RP-22X's (EXTREME!) that I'll be putting through the paces over the next couple of weeks. I hope my rig is worth of their eXtremeness.

Thanks guys I'll look forward to your impressions on the RP-21 and RP-22 ;).

Initial impression (straight out of the box) of the RP-22X are, uh, not so good. :-X I've got them burning in now and will check back as time goes on but for anyone that thinks the Senn's have a veil these cans have a tablecloth draped over the highs.

While not truely full-sized, I really like the K81DJ with the addition of the Senn HD-25 velour pads. The bass is overpowering when stock, but they sound realtively balanced with the pad change. I'm sure there are better options out there, but at the price point, I've been very happy with them. IEMs were just irritating my ears, so I went with these for the long bus trips I have when coaching, and they do a decent job of isolating.

I've tried the K81DJ and found them to be pretty uncomfortable for my ears. The Senn hd280 I should probably add to my list it's been a very long time since I've heard those. They would probably isolate better than my other possibilities.

Initial impression (straight out of the box) of the RP-22X are, uh, not so good. :-X I've got them burning in now and will check back as time goes on but for anyone that thinks the Senn's have a veil these cans have a tablecloth draped over the highs.

Mine with RP-21 has been okay so far. The bass is bit too prominent for my liking, but keep in mind I'm not exactly a basshead (My personal preference is tight, articulate bass. If that costs me in quantity and impact, so be it). Overall, they do sound decent, especially considering the price point. We'll see how they do after more break-in.