What are my options for a really sweet single ended headphone amp?

deepak

I've pretty much settled on the L3000 as the headphones for me (other than the K1000) and I'd like to look into comissioning a high end custom built tube amp for them. The L3000 specs from their website:

Type Closed-back dynamic

Driver Diameter 53 mm

Magnet Neodymium

Case Cherry blossoms wood, CONNOLLY leather

Frequency Response 5 - 45,000Hz

Maximum Input Power 2,000mW

Output Sound Level 104 dB/mW

Impedance 48 Ω

Weight 380 g

Cable 3.0 m

Connector ?6.3 mm phone plug

Accessories Furnished BOX

So I'm probably looking for schematics that are available that I could have someone build the amp based on. Does not need to have a preamp. Headphone amp only.

I don't want to let a budget hold it back so I'll leave it open for the time being. I like a pretty linear sound but I'm definitely a tube guy. Thanks everyone.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, if a one-off custom were what I was looking for and money wasn't thought to be a big object I'd see if I could get in touch with Blackie Pagano. The Noise Duality amp that he built for tjkurita is beyond impressive both visually and sonically.
That was a great amp with the HD650's, but it sounded kinda weird with my K340's. Still, if Blackie can make a custom amp for the L3000, I think that jpak would be very happy. ;)

The Noise Duality looks good, but probably way more than I'm willing to pay. I suppose I should have specified that I'm looking for something that is high performance and good value for the dollar as well. Very low output impedance was something I was gunning for as I can hear the output impedance mismatch with Grado headphones and some tube amps.

More realistically maybe something employing a single 300B or 2A3 design might be more in my budget. But then again I have no idea how much good iron would cost to go along with that. The amp doesn't need to be ridiculously powerful or anything.

Anyway I wasn't planning on getting one of these super amps in the near future, I think I'm going to get the Lo-spressivo as soon as time permits.

I'll sell my AT-DHA3000 to you :-)

Even though it's solid state it has a very liquid and refined sound due in part to being made for the L3000.

PM me if interested - I'm currently looking for around $1600 for it.

Cheers!

I need my tubes!!!onetoo

Plus I have a wicked nice source already, I doubt the one in the DHA3000 could compare.

Deepak,

Are you seriously without an amp right now? I think you've answered this before but heck if I can remember what you've got on the way right now.

I have my old M^3 (which is now my friend's) but he doesn't really listen to headphones anymore, so it's sort of on long term loan with me.

I have my old M^3 (which is now my friend's) but he doesn't really listen to headphones anymore, so it's sort of on long term loan with me.

Aha, I suppose that'll get the job done in the interim.

You know, love of tubes aside you might give some serious thought about Stephen's beta22 group buy. For relatively short money you could have a nice amp for both sets of cans.

Aha, I suppose that'll get the job done in the interim.

You know, love of tubes aside you might give some serious thought about Stephen's beta22 group buy. For relatively short money you could have a nice amp for both sets of cans.

Thanks Nate I appreciate the feedback. But I'm really set on getting tubes for both the L3000 and K1000. I'm sure the B22 is a great amp but for my listening tastes I feel I can only get that "real in the room sound" with tubes. An all in one solution is also something that I don't really need, as the K1000 amp might be sharing the same amps as my speakers, so I'm not in any hurry to rush into that. When the time comes closer for me to get the speaker setup I'm going to take one final listen to my friend's Avantgarde system and hopefully hear the K1000 with his 300B blocks.

Thanks Nate I appreciate the feedback. But I'm really set on getting tubes for both the L3000 and K1000. I'm sure the B22 is a great amp but for my listening tastes I feel I can only get that "real in the room sound" with tubes.

I feel you here. The reason I'm going for the beta22 is a) the dynahi made me a believer in what solid state can do and B) there isn't a non-custom tube amp available that can properly power all my headphones. Which means I would have to do a custom job, and at this point in my headphone career I'm not willing to drop that kind of money. Also its a plus not having to deal with tube headaches like when they blow up your RS-1 ::), and not having to drop major cash on spendy nos tubes.

Like I said in my Dynahi impressions a little while back, dynahi ss is still ss, but its superb ss. I believe the beta22 will offer me even better performance then the Dynahi, plus I get to go balanced with it. :)

but hey, tubes are tubes, and I still love 'em. One day I'll make my way back...

P.S. The extreme isn't anything more than the Wheatfiled, which is nothing more than the VanWaarde (with a 6SN7 input tube)

Sort of, but the Wheatfield uses a tube rectified power supply, which I don't think any Extreme does and the Extreme runs parallel output tubes (as you know) so it drives low-ohm loads better but requires matched tubes. One more thing, the Wheatfield has enough current capacity to run some serious output tubes like the 6528A, I'm not sure the Extreme can handle that.

Sort of, but the Wheatfield uses a tube rectified power supply, which I don't think any Extreme does and the Extreme runs parallel output tubes (as you know) so it drives low-ohm loads better but requires matched tubes. One more thing, the Wheatfield has enough current capacity to run some serious output tubes like the 6528A, I'm not sure the Extreme can handle that.

Yes, but these are VERY small changes. Current capability can be increased wiht a different transformer (or multiple, as I recommend). Tube rectified means one mroe heater, and wire the tube instead of diodes.

As you know I'm a big fan of the L3000's peculiar signature; I'm also a fan of pairing it up with an amp of similar sonic inclinations - that is warm, tubey, tons of bass impact. Call me crazy, but I've been preferring the HD650 & Qualia with the Zana, and the L3000 with the prototype SDS. The HD650 and Qualia can take on a whole new, gorgeously neutral character with the Zana, but the L3000 seems a little like its fighting its natural tendencies there. That's not to say it sounds mediocre on the Zana - in fact it sounds very, very good. It's just that when I'm slapping on the heavy metal or hard rock records, which typically means L3000, the music just flows a bit more naturally out of the SDS. Other music genres typically invoke HD650 or Qualia usage, so I'm not so familiar with how the L3000 pairing would go there. The SDS probably has an output impedance around 32 ohms and the Zana is around 16, so I personally wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on getting an amp with super low output impedance and the best technical specs.

Of course your tastes may well be different from mine - but for me, L3000 with a top-notch tubey sounding amp is bliss. I think purk agrees with me there - we had our first mini-meet when I had the L3000 and he had the only SDS; when we put 'em together we instantly knew that was a killer combo and it's stood the test of time over 2 years later (to be fair the Slam adaptors were a pretty necessary upgrade).