Denon AH-D2000--big disappointment.

boomana

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean, rimshot. I like rimshot.gif more than rimshot.gif.

(When I'm looking for a smiley, I usually search for "smilies rimshot" and then whatever else I'm looking for, because that usually puts me in to forums that have silly emoticons.)

Yes, rimshot is what I meant. I prefer the first one too. Thanks for the pointer to finding silly emoticons.

• 3 weeks later...

I went from the Sony MDR-7605s to these, and hated the switch at first. Later, I realized I apparently need to EQ every single song, whereas I never had to do that with the Sonys. I don't have an amp yet, either, and I heard those EQ the best? (I'm on a laptop.) Also, I find it weird that no one mentioned EQing in this thread. I wonder if people listen to these things flat?? They're absolutely terrible without EQ. TERRIBLE.

And to conclude, is there a good amp for these 'phones under $100?

/someone entering into an audiophilic universe

Audity from VJA?

And no, you're best off putting that extra $100 into better headphones. Chances are anything that price is going to make the sound worse unless you can find something like the EMU 0404 USB for that cheap, and even then you'd be best off getting some better headphones (that aren't picky like the HD650). The ESW9 sounds great out of a lot of stuff including lower end sources. Pretty popular but some don't like it (see the DC meet impressions thread).

Interesting.... Off topic: I have modded 5000s, HD650s and SA5000s and to be honest the 5000s are my favorite by a large margin. I really can not understand anyone saying they prefer the 650s, they have no where near the detail or impact of the 5000s (after mod, before that they had way to much bass and it washed out everything else). I've also done a lot of frequency sweeps with all my pairs of phones and too my ears the d5000 is noticeably flatter than the 650s. On the other hand if you have crappily recorded music you're screwed with the 5000s while with the 650s you can still have a good time. To each their own I guess.

Audity from VJA?

And no, you're best off putting that extra $100 into better headphones. Chances are anything that price is going to make the sound worse unless you can find something like the EMU 0404 USB for that cheap, and even then you'd be best off getting some better headphones (that aren't picky like the HD650). The ESW9 sounds great out of a lot of stuff including lower end sources. Pretty popular but some don't like it (see the DC meet impressions thread).

The ESW9s sound fine without an amp. If later, you'd want to try them with one, they do improve, but an amp's not necessary.

Isn't he using the headphone out from a laptop? Do you guys seriously believe that the headphones are the problem for him?

Isn't he using the headphone out from a laptop? Do you guys seriously believe that the headphones are the problem for him?

I used the ESW9 out of my T61 for a while and didn't find it bad at all. I'm sure it really depends on the laptop, but based on what's been said in this topic I think the D2000 isn't going to become amazing when amped (and a DAC is more necessary in this case).

I used the ESW9 out of my T61 for a while and didn't find it bad at all. I'm sure it really depends on the laptop, but based on what's been said in this topic I think the D2000 isn't going to become amazing when amped (and a DAC is more necessary in this case).

The DAC is possibly even more of a problem than the amp, but my point is that impressions of a headphone from an unknown laptop headphone out is not reliable at all. I've heard some truly horrible laptop headphone outs that bottleneck the performance of $5 headphones.

Yeah my laptop is bad with sound (HP Pavilion dv6000). Having its Wave Volume at max causes tons of clipping for songs with high resonance (loud reverby pianos and such). Also, on its speakers...I don't even want to go into detail of how horrible that is (though I wonder how much of that is attributed to the speakers just being blown out on the right side or something weird). I bought one of these sound cards: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/audio-advantage-srm/home.aspx , so that should help with headphones...and external speakers should I ever power-rape my laptop with those.

I don't listen to CDs. So I assume I don't need a DAC.

The DAC is possibly even more of a problem than the amp, but my point is that impressions of a headphone from an unknown laptop headphone out is not reliable at all. I've heard some truly horrible laptop headphone outs that bottleneck the performance of $5 headphones.

True, but he did say he did prefer the 7506 so it can't have been that bad.

There's just so many possible places to fix and I shouldn't have assumed it was just one of them.

Yeah my laptop is bad with sound (HP Pavilion dv6000). Having its Wave Volume at max causes tons of clipping for songs with high resonance (loud reverby pianos and such). Also, on its speakers...I don't even want to go into detail of how horrible that is (though I wonder how much of that is attributed to the speakers just being blown out on the right side or something weird). I bought one of these sound cards: External USB Sound Card with Surround Sound , so that should help with headphones...and external speakers should I ever power-rape my laptop with those.

I don't listen to CDs. So I assume I don't need a DAC.

Sound cards are DACs. A DAC just refers to anything that converts digital to audio, and the TBAAM is one.