Denon AH-D2000--big disappointment.

boomana

Unless you really like headphones the HP-2 and L3000 are over valued right now. Considering how easily you can sell any one of them, all of them are worth trying out.

Yeah. I will probably audition some someday. Though alot of them come balanced, which I cant use. But there was a long stretch where K1000s seldom popped up, now it seems we dont go one week without a pair available. Cyclical I guess.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are so harsh. :rofl:

The D2000 and D5000 are certainly not the best headphones ever made, but they sound pretty nice and balanced to me. Their combination of good sound, comfort, relative lack of leakage, and not-so-ridiculous looks is very hard to beat IMO. I think they are great headphones for office rigs.

My office rig:

Emu 0404 USB -> SFT M^3 -> D2000

Well they do keep more sound in than HD650s, I'll grant you that.

But the only way I can listen to them is if I completely stop listening to my HD650s, and slowly get accustomed to the sound. They're colored, plain and simple. I think they may be more colored than the PX100s.

Its not that bad if you dont have other phones to compare to though.

I don't even bother with neutral as a word that means much anymore. There are things that are certainly over-colored, but other than that, I like what I like and that's good enough for me.

I think the Denons would probably make a good office rig. Good closed headphones, in general, are difficult to find and system match, at least in my experience, limited as it is.

I don't even bother with neutral as a word that means much anymore.

To me there is a neutral, and it exists only in the HP1000. ;)

as for the D5000, I listened to it out of a Maxxed Headroom Desktop and just went apeshit over it. The next day out of Drew's Cary thing I wasn't as impressed. So it could've been the amp or it could've been me.

No, the HD650s definitely aren't neutral either, I just think they are more neutral than the Denons. The Denons have more midrange, but its too much. To me, its one phone that plays deep and clearly, vs another that plays fairly deep and very very punchy in the mids. I'd rather have the Senns. But ymmv.

I thought the common complaint against the Denons is that they don't have enough mids. ???

I see what you are saying though. The Denons do have a punchy sound that people may or may not like.

Driven with the right amps, I agree that the HD650 does offer better sound overall. Unfortunately, they are not as comfortable to me, and they leak way too much for office use.

I don't even bother with neutral as a word that means much anymore. There are things that are certainly over-colored, but other than that, I like what I like and that's good enough for me.

I think the Denons would probably make a good office rig. Good closed headphones, in general, are difficult to find and system match, at least in my experience, limited as it is.

I agree with everything you said here. ;D

as for the D5000, I listened to it out of a Maxxed Headroom Desktop and just went apeshit over it. The next day out of Drew's Cary thing I wasn't as impressed. So it could've been the amp or it could've been me.

I am using OPA627s in my M^3, and I think the synergy is pretty decent. If I remember correctly, the Maxxed Headroom Desktop also uses OPA627s.

Does anyone think there is one headphone that suits all styles of music?
Yeah, there's a whole "team" of us who don't believe in application-specific headphones at all. Now, matching headphones to amps and cables and sources and so on, that's something else entirely, but yeah, I believe that all music should sound good on my headphones, and they usually do.

Yeah, there's a whole "team" of us who don't believe in application-specific headphones at all. Now, matching headphones to amps and cables and sources and so on, that's something else entirely, but yeah, I believe that all music should sound good on my headphones, and they usually do.

Maybe I need to keep looking for the can that satisfies all of my tastes. The K701 powered by the Bijou is certainly getting close :)

BTW, I am starting to rethink my views on the D2000. After listening to the K701/ Bijou for the last week, I went back to my D2000/M

L3000.

or W3000 ;) I've been rockin' these at work lately, very nice...I think I'm finally starting to "get" these headphones. I know I've said that before, but I'm now to the point where parting with these would be difficult.