Denon AH-D2000--big disappointment.

boomana

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to clarify about the 7605s, I like them 'cuz, when un-EQ'd/un-amp'd, they're not muddy, unlike un-EQ'd/un-amp'd Denons (sounds like the mids are taking over the world, with no highs in sight). Direct comparison does show, however, that the Denons are WAY more deep. And all those other words audiophiles use.

People loved my modded D2000 at the recent Head-Fi Chicago meet. I get the feeling that there was a shitload of placebo stemming from the wood cups I added. I still think they are kind of "meh", despite having dropped $400 for the pair after all has been said and done.

If I can get $500 for them I'll say that the annoying woody was a worthwhile endeavor.

Interesting.... Off topic: I have modded 5000s, HD650s and SA5000s and to be honest the 5000s are my favorite by a large margin. I really can not understand anyone saying they prefer the 650s, they have no where near the detail or impact of the 5000s (after mod, before that they had way to much bass and it washed out everything else). I've also done a lot of frequency sweeps with all my pairs of phones and too my ears the d5000 is noticeably flatter than the 650s. On the other hand if you have crappily recorded music you're screwed with the 5000s while with the 650s you can still have a good time. To each their own I guess.

I listened to your setup with the modded d5000 at the Baltimore/DC meet last weekend. Nice to meet you BTW. To me, they sounded really slow. In fact, I would use the word plodding. I'm definititely a PRAT fan and for me the d5000 didn't have it. Sorry. Of course, your mileage obviously varies and that's OK.

Yes, I am. Sorry, Monday was a lost day for me (slept many hours) and I didn't get to it yesterday. My Dad ended up in the hospital again today (he's 89) so I've been there all day. I'm typing this on his computer in Thousand Oaks. Once I get back to SB, I'll post the pictures and a few impressions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this Vicki. Not that I was hoping for better impressions, cos never had that Denon hype kind of feeling, but just interesting how ATH- ESW9 compare to D2k or D5k?

Bit out of topic, sorry...

Also, after you sold your MiniBox E+, which I didnt buy from you:rolleyes:, how is your Pico holds up using with ESW9?

THX:cool:

Thanks for sharing this Vicki. Not that I was hoping for better impressions, cos never had that Denon hype kind of feeling, but just interesting how ATH- ESW9 compare to D2k or D5k?

Bit out of topic, sorry...

Also, after you sold your MiniBox E+, which I didnt buy from you:rolleyes:, how is your Pico holds up using with ESW9?

THX:cool:

I've heard none of the above headphones for awhile, so I don't want to comment on what I really don't remember, except to say that the D5000 is probably the better choice if those were your only three choices in the world, and you were talking sound quality only. It's not a bad headphone at all, but for the price, I felt it didn't measure up to others. I've pretty well stated my opinions on the D2000. As for the ESW9s, if you're comparing them to good full-sized headphones, they, too, don't measure up to the really good ones, but they are really enjoyable headphones, and I'm still amazed that for their function (closed, portable) they sound as good as they do.

The ESW9s did sound great with the Minibox E+, but right after I sold that, I sent them to grawk for an extended visit. He's still has them, but no pico. I'm in no rush to get them back, so won't be able to answer your question for a least a few months.

The D2000 is one of the worst closed cans for its price IMO. I'd rather take the ESW9 over it, which I didn't like much either (but I found it better and more versatile), or the AKG K271S (w/ velour pads of course).

I also heard the D5000 at a meet earlier this year (San Mateo in June) and came away with the same opinion of it. Very overrated on Head-Fi, I don't know why it's gotten so much raving over there. I also incidentally heard the Ultrasone HFI-780 at the same meet and thought the same of it - extremely overrated. I can see all these overrated-on-HF closed cans being fine for gaming maybe, but for music I think they're crap.

The best high-priced closed cans I've heard so far are the W5000, W2002, and L3000 (even though I don't personally like the L3000 much, but I've come to appreciate its qualities).

The D2000 is one of the worst closed cans for its price IMO. I'd rather take the ESW9 over it, which I didn't like much either (but I found it better and more versatile), or the AKG K271S (w/ velour pads of course).

I also heard the D5000 at a meet earlier this year (San Mateo in June) and came away with the same opinion of it. Very overrated on Head-Fi, I don't know why it's gotten so much raving over there. I also incidentally heard the Ultrasone HFI-780 at the same meet and thought the same of it - extremely overrated. I can see all these overrated-on-HF closed cans being fine for gaming maybe, but for music I think they're crap.

The best high-priced closed cans I've heard so far are the W5000, W2002, and L3000 (even though I don't personally like the L3000 much, but I've come to appreciate its qualities).

Yup, yup to everything, though I'm not so sure about the W5000s, and would definitely put R10s on that best closed cans list.

Re HFI-780s, they are possibly the worst headphones I've heard. I did get the chance to hear the ALO modded pair at CanJam, and though the highs were smoothed out a bit from the stock pair I heard, and they did sound better out of whatever Rudistor amp I was listening to at the time than with other amps I tried, I still think they are a horrible way to spend money unless you hate music. Here's an old wreck of a thread that has a few impressions tossed in: http://www.head-case.org/forums/headphones/3153-ultrasone-hfi-780-a.html

A further note on the ESW9s- It got my recabled by Alex at APureSound. Really improved overall. Cleaned up some of the congestion in the mids. The bass got much tigther. Everything sounds crisper and more defined. My pair seems to have a high end shimmer. I know some folks have heard differences among various individual pairs. RE: ESW9s in general: I really like their size, construction, and overall chic (wood is nice) and SQ for a portable phone.

Yes, but I found the initial cable too easily prone to pilling and pulls (if it touched the velcro in the case it could catch). I asked Alex if he could put on the Super Nylon outer sleeve from the V3 cables as protection ($50 or $60, don't remember exactly). I absolutely love it. Holds up much better. Looks like a CABLE kind of cable. Works for me. Alex and Heli are always willing to work with you.

I had an instant aversion to the D5000. A bottom with loose bowels syndrome. I was a dissatisfied owner for about twenty minutes and they were boxed and on the route back to Amazon in the Morning. The phone physically felt flimsy in the hand and were not well put together.