Sony PFR-V1 Personal Field Speakers

postjack

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PFR-V1 summary of impressions, driven by AT-HA5000, source = DP-500 (not using battery pack):

1. Decent clarity and details. Leans toward a bright and thin type of sound (for my type of ears). There's some treble emphasis. Lacks refinement compared to most quality full-size headphones.

2. Bass quantity and impact are OK, but lacking compared to HD650, RS-1, SA5000, AD2000. Lacking in bass details and textures.

3. Unique soundstage presentation with a sense of 3D imaging. Not necessarily better than regular headphones, just different. And definitely not better than the K1000's soundstage or imaging.

4. Bass tube hooks that sit on the outside of ear canals can become irritating after wearing for some time. The unit is lightweight, but the hooks are hard plastic and not exactly shaped for comfort.

5. Ear size and shape is probably a significant determinant of sound quality. Pulling my ears outward, simulating Mickey Mouse-type ears, the sound becomes fuller-bodied, bassier and louder.

6. I paid about US$390, the Japan street price. Not a great value at this price, but it does offer a different listening experience.

7. Might be good for movies and gaming.

8. Requires a quiet environment, leaks sound.

003 doesn't seem quite happy with his, and definitely doesn't like the cable, but he says the presentation reminds him of nearfield speakers. What say you?

I've heard some small nearfield speakers, Dynaudio and some others, K-something? I forget the brands.

I dont think the PFR-V1's soundstage is as good as those nearfield speakers. The speakers had much more depth and width.

4. Bass tube hooks that sit on the outside of ear canals can become irritating after wearing for some time. The unit is lightweight, but the hooks are hard plastic and not exactly shaped for comfort.

I knew it. Bass tubes are Ear Rape Tubes.

7. Might be good for movies and gaming.

8. Requires a quiet environment, leaks sound.

K1000 already has this covered. I use my K1000's for gaming all the time. I can even fit an over the ear headset under the earspeaker for XBox Live gaming.

-Ed

003 posted on OCN about them all bragging and claiming they were going to be a k1000 killer. I said I'd believe it when I saw (heard) it. But anywho, I think it's hilarious that when he got them he posted on Head-Fi, but didn't even bother to update his thread on OCN bc he knew we'd rip him a new one when he said they weren't that great :D

• 2 weeks later...

Non-factory repairs on (mostly discontinued) headphones (esp. driver repairs), aftermarket audio equipment modification and upgrades, headphone recables/refurbishment, and occasionally some custom interconnect cables (which I'm trying to move away from due to the low margins). :-\

C'mon Alex, they're not that bad. You can compare them against the R10 I'm sending you. They might have more bass!

OK, they're not that great either. I wonder why I haven't been listening to them.

Fitz, I would give them to you free, but you're Team Vintage AKG, so I can't.

I'll take them on behalf of Team AT :)