COD4 is offically awsome

Chekhonte

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is old news now but I beat the single player yesterday and just played the multiplayer for the first time today and am even more blown to high heaven! This game is my clear choice for GOTY. This is the only FPS that I've enjoyed more than the first Halo although I haven't played Crysis yet. If you haven't played this game yet and are even a modest fan of first person shooters than please get yourself a copy and play!

This game is old news now but I beat the single player yesterday and just played the multiplayer for the first time today and am even more blown to high heaven! This game is my clear choice for GOTY. This is the only FPS that I've enjoyed more than the first Halo although I haven't played Crysis yet. If you haven't played this game yet and are even a modest fan of first person shooters than please get yourself a copy and play!

Did you play Bioshock? I preferred it to COD4.

I picked up COD4 for PC about a week ago and just yesterday completed the single player mission. Originally started on the easier level, and after one of the several initial system hangs, I restarted on what they call "Normal" mode. If a firefight in rookie mode lasted 2 minutes, in normal mode, it lasted more like 15 minutes. It was much more of a challenge and a lot more intense.

Having unlocked the mission selector, I played a few maps last night in Hardened mode. This made for the most realistic FPS war sim yet for me. Walk dumbly out in the open; you get head shot in a second. Don't stick with the team, boom; you're dead. Firefights lasted forever and you had to go about is systematically to survive. It was actually better practice for MP then any other game I've played.

I also played a bit of multiplayer last night. As others mentioned, feels a bit like MP maps from other FPS games but with a bit more realism. Took me a few deaths to realize you can't run and gun from a distance (like BHD) but have to look down the sights in all but the close encounters. This is all from a COD MP noob though. I did notice some of the stuff that plagued most of the Black Hawk Down servers; I got killed by a grenade launcher at time when a gun battle just seemed more appropriate. I got naded from 10' at one point; I just had to commend the player for a manly kill. This is just a peeve; entering a map where all you hear is thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk. Give me a gun or knife fight any day.

Source: 3 GHz Pentium

Amp: ATI 850 XL Limited Edition (AGP mobo)

ICs: Logitech MX18 Mouse, G15 keyboard, Gateway FHD2400 (new; trying out my first 24" LCD)

Headphones: Plantronics DSP500 for voice (or my regular headphone rig via Opus' digital in)

I'm running patch 1.3, which I believe is mostly for MP, but for what always seemed like a decent gamer rig, it just barely runs this game. I'd disabled hyperthreading for Comanche 4 but suspect I should try with this enabled. For resolution, even though 1900x1200 is offered, it's recommended to run at 800x600. The Support site actually recommends setting your monitor to 800x600 (and sound's hardware acceleration to Basic) prior to starting the game. This said, even with the occasional glitch, this is now my favorite FPS game, unseating F.E.A.R.

Well, HD DVD is cool since it lets you play your regular DVDs upsampled to HD resolutions. I'm probably going to get a player at some point. I think I remember seeing one that had inputs on it that then get upsampled? That could be cool for the Wii. :)

Well upscaling isn't exactly that big of a thing, it looks better sure but it's no where close to real HD material. Oh and blu-ray players including the PS3 do upscaling as well ;)

Well upscaling isn't exactly that big of a thing, it looks better sure but it's no where close to real HD material.
Not true -- it depends on the algorithm. Entry level gear will have generic algorithms, whereas I've seen some gear (one in particular) that upscales so well, that most everything -- other than direct-to-HD such as Leno and Sports Desk -- looks just as good as the upscaled counterpart. Just as the MSB upscaler might sound different than the dCS upscaler (for example) to some ears.

This one is supposed to be pretty good.

I believe the one I see pretty much every weekend (actually, it's more like every other weekend) is a Faroudja professional-level upscaler that looks pretty damn good, but is several years old technology at this point. It's probably comparable to the Faroudja upscaler that Masterlu mentions in his first post.

You may also want to look at the Lumagen HDP, as it's several hundred dollars cheaper (US$1199), and looks like it has been the recipient of trickle-down technology (though don't hold me to it, as I have not yet confirmed this) -- notice how it has "SD and HD per-pixel motion adaptive deinterlacing" listed as "newly added"?

Dew et -- it will revitalize you DVD collection, and render upgrading to HD moot.

Did you play Bioshock? I preferred it to COD4.

I did play bioshock but didn't really get that much into it. I think I would have liked it better if I hadn't read any reviews of it before I played it. It was billed as a piece of art but when I tried to play it in that light I looked more like a piece of shit. Its story is a crappier version of an already super shitty Ayn Rand novel. It game play is to me a watered down Deus Ex. The graphical design was the only thing I appreciated and that wore thin about half way though. Let me reiterate that I probably would have liked it if I hadn't has such high expectations and if I didn't hate ayn rand so much.

• 1 month later...

Game of the Year so far IMO.

OMG, NOO, I bet $20 (If I win, I get $40, i lose I give them $20 each -_-) with my friends that COD4 won't get game of the year.. lol.. thank god the magazine EGM didn't rate it at #1.... I think. and they forgot about it.

Anyways.. so many people keep telling me to go and buy it since my comp has 8800GTS 640mb/4gb corsair ram/3.4GHZ processor but I don't know if I should spend the time (I'm buying less games nowadays) so.. can someone give me a few reasons to justify a purchase?

I still care about COD 4. I played a few games of multiplayer today and had a blast.

If you like shooters then get it. The single player is amazing but not amazing enough to justify a purchase. It's the multiplayer that keeps this game fresh. There are a lot of game types and countermeasures to cover up online latency are as good as I've seen in a game. If you like to shoot at people the get it.

• 4 weeks later...

so I played two multiplayer games last night, and I am horrible. Finished dead last both times. I've never been any good at first person shooters, but I'd like to at least NOT finish dead last in a multiplayer match. :)

Here's hoping the singleplayer campaign will give me some more practice.