Thin skin?

Thelonious Monk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(d) someone can't read, and blames others for his ignorance
You used the word "acceptable", implying I was saying otherwise -- I was trying to explain how I was not calling his post "unacceptable", but rather just contradicting him and/or calling him names.

-10 reading comprehension points for you, -5 writing comprehensibly points for me.

And again, spin-doctoring to your own agenda (in this case, defending Aaron).

Dude the only one spinning here is you, as everyone takes a wack at you. I have no agenda. Certainly not one that includes defending Aaron. I did it because you were an ass and he wasn't. It is really very simple. I think you are moving past the ankle working your way towards your knee. We need an emoticon for someone swallowing themselves.

GoEnglish_com_1PutYourFootInYourMou.gif

Dude the only one spinning here is you, as everyone takes a wack at you. I have no agenda. Certainly not one that includes defending Aaron. I did it because you were an ass and he wasn't. It is really very simple. I think you are moving past the ankle working your way towards your knee. We need an emoticon for someone swallowing themselves.

GoEnglish_com_1PutYourFootInYourMou.gif

I like this one, but it's not quite the same thing...

head-up-ass.jpg

Click the picture for the nsfw version.

Dusty, I think you've gone a long way at proving who the ass is here. In case that's too subtle, it's not immtbiker. His use of hyperbole was perfectly appropriate to make the point he made. It was not inflammatory. It was to make a point that I seens to have been lost on you.
Okay, I think I finally got grawk's point -- I completely misunderstood. He was saying Aaron was not being subtle, I.E. using hyperbole. So in a sense, by my saying that what he was saying was inflammatory, I was agreeing with him. But with you, I'm still lost -- you're saying he was using hyperbole, but that it was not inflammatory -- so which is it? I think you accidentally followed my lead a little bit -- Dan was saying that it's perfectly acceptable to be inflammatory when subtlety doesn't work -- which in this case, was not being used at all (yes?).

I don't think I ever blamed anyone else for my ignorance, I just didn't understand what was going on. I take full responsibility for my mistake.

Oh, and Mike, you want to take a whack at me? Fuck off and die.

Okay, I think I finally got grawk's point -- I completely misunderstood. He was saying Aaron was not being subtle, I.E. using hyperbole. So in a sense, by my saying that what he was saying was inflammatory, I was agreeing with him. But with you, I'm still lost -- you're saying he was using hyperbole, but that it was not inflammatory -- so which is it? I think you accidentally followed my lead a little bit -- Dan was saying that it's perfectly acceptable to be inflammatory when subtlety doesn't work -- which in this case, was not being used at all (yes?).

I don't think I ever blamed anyone else for my ignorance, I just didn't understand what was going on. I take full responsibility for my mistake.

Bingo, I think. I was saying he was using hyperbole to make a point and that it wasn't inflammatory.

No, there was a question in there, about which is it? My point was that inflammatory ~= hyperbole.

hy?per?bo?le /haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-pur-buh-lee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?noun Rhetoric. 1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as ?to wait an eternity.?

hyperbole doesn't equal inflammatory.

The point is hyperbole isn't inflammatory, unless you're dense.
I disagree. Wikipedia says, "...It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression...", which sounds an awful lot like "inflame" to me. I thought you meant that it wasn't subtle. Let's just agree that hyperbole is a lot closer to inflammation than subtlety, 'kay?

(And yes, the next time someone uses hyperbole, I fully intend to use the line, "stop it, you're giving me an inflammation".)

Jeez, keep up, it was just hyperbole.
That was my one and only post relating to this little tiff you guys are having. If anyone is 'keeping it up', it's you. ::)
Well technically you can't call it rape when your wife consented.
I'd appreciate if you keep any sex games that my wife and I may or may not take part in out of this discussion. >:D

I disagree. Wikipedia says, "...It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression...", which sounds an awful lot like "inflame" to me. I thought you meant that it wasn't subtle.

You can evoke strong feelings or create a strong impresssion without being inflammatory.

in?flam?ma?to?ry /ɪnˈfl?məˌtɔri, -ˌtoʊri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-flam-uh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective 1. tending to arouse anger, hostility, passion, etc.: inflammatory speeches.

2. Pathology. of or caused by inflammation.

You weren't referring to something of Aaron's being inflamed, were you? (definition number 2)