Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive

tkam

Thats nothing; I own a blu ray player, and in one circumstance (Live Free or Die Hard) I still cant even play Blu-Ray :rant:

Yup, everything that I've read leads me to believe that the only Blu-Ray player worth buying right now is a PS-3 and that's not going to happen for me any time soon. Hopefully, low-cost, standard configuration, reliable players will be in the near future or both formats could die.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blame Samsung not the blu-ray format. The Samsung blu-ray players are notoriously shitty. I've had zero issues playing blu-ray discs with my PS3.

Ironically enough, lately I've had a bunch of problems with my toshiba hd-a35 and hd-dvd's.

Yeah, I meant to pass my anger towards the player. All the other movies have been flawless. I'm done with Samsung. Im trying to pawn it off on my parents, and get a PS3 for when I move out (hopefully after an update)

Hopefully now we will start getting a decent amount of movies released. Especially old movies, like Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park, etc.

Those are my thoughts exactly but I was thinking more on the lines of art movies that had shitty DVD transfers. Herzog's library in particular but also Andrei Tarkovsky's and Elem Klimov's movies. I know we're still years off from any of those movies from making it to blu-ray but it was certainly not going to happen while there was a format war brewing.

Movies that didn't rate a good dvd transfer probably won't get a good bluray transfer.

I know that they won't be as good as, let's say, kubrik's collection but transferring movies to digital is a lot easier and cheaper to do than when those movies were transfered to DVD. I'm not expecting a lot but herzog's movies look like VHS quality on DVD. They deserve better not just for posterity but because they are wonderfully atmospheric and look great when I've seen them on 16 and 32mm.

Alright, this is turning into a diatribe - I'm going to shut up now.

Wow, so the PS3 is the only decent Bluray player? I was considering buying a player now that the "war" is over, and figured I'd head to this thread first for recommendations. I guess the fact that the PS3 can update itself through its internet capabilities is a big plus.

$400 seems crazy for a game system I might never use, but for a game system I might never use AND a bluray player, it doesn't seem so bad. :)

Wow, so the PS3 is the only decent Bluray player? I was considering buying a player now that the "war" is over, and figured I'd head to this thread first for recommendations. I guess the fact that the PS3 can update itself through its internet capabilities is a big plus.

$400 seems crazy for a game system I might never use, but for a game system I might never use AND a bluray player, it doesn't seem so bad. :)

Well yeah. Along with the Bluray it's also a DVD, SACD player, media center, web browser, video player, Wi-Fi etc. And it can update itself. Much better value than any stand alone player plus digital and optical audio out. Slap a bluetooth keyboard/mouse on it and you have a pretty powerful media computer with a decent amount of storage. What's not to like. Even without Bluray it's pretty damn good IMO.

Well yeah. Along with the Bluray it's also a DVD, SACD player, media center, web browser, video player, Wi-Fi etc. And it can update itself. Much better value than any stand alone player plus digital and optical audio out. Slap a bluetooth keyboard/mouse on it and you have a pretty powerful media computer with a decent amount of storage. What's not to like. Even without Bluray it's pretty damn good IMO.

Give this guy a Sony MoT tag :kitty:

motmotmotmotmotmot