Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive

tkam

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I can't wait until one of the HD formats bites the dust. I really want older art movies to come out in high def and that isn't going to happen 'til one of the formats becomes ubiquitous.

One format dying doesn't make the other one ubiquitous. Having users give a shit is what that'll take. And right now, upscaled DVD is good enough that most people aren't changing, I think. Heck, most people don't even have HDTV yet.

I figure that my A3 will work good as an upconverting DVD player, to keep wear and tear off my PS3. Plus, I can hope for clearance HD-DVD's :)

I'm there for Clearance HD-DVDs. :dance: There were already 40 select HD-DVDs on Amazon for buy one get one free and the HD-DVDs were 19.99 a piece so around $20.00 for 2.

I managed to get one of those hd-dvd players at wallmart for $99.

Did not even have to wait in line. Just for chuckles i bought it. Filled

with software bugs like i've never seen before. Won't even play one

of the startrek remasters (which are glorious by the way) all the way

thru, you have to go back to the menu and play it title by title.

Think the blu-ray players are any better, think again. Go to avsforum and

look at all the titles that various players won't play, or do stupid things with.

Its not the price for me, i want something that works right out of the box

and not have to install firmware every week for the next year. Plus some of

the firmware fixes allow some disks to play, and then break others. So if

you want to watch disk A you need this rev of firmware, and this disk you need

a different rev... But evidently you can't go backwards in revisions on most

of the players. The only player that works perfectly is the PS3. Very sad.

By the middle of this year you will see lots of blu-ray players for $299 or less.

In fact you can buy a blu-ray computer drive for that now...

BTW, Todd, how is the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player?

It's likely I'll end up picking one up at some point, especially when more interesting games in Japan becomes available (I love that Blu-ray region coding is same for US and Japan).

I still think it's probably the best blu-ray player around. It has the benefit of having way more processing power than needed and a steady stream of updates if any bugs show up.

Yea, the PS3 I was looking at was $300 with an extra controller and 5 games. I decided not to get it because I don't have time to play, and I wasn't interested in the games he had and he wasn't willing to separate it.

See around me there isn't much market (out in the woods) so anyone that has one still thinks that it's worth more than it is and wants full value for any games included. One add I looked at today wanted $750 for a PS3 + 8 or 9 games and looked thrashed. I think I'll stick to the waiting game for now.