New Cat

tkam

So I've been thinking about getting a cat for a few months now and I've started narrowing down the breeds I'm interested in. Here's the short list so far:

British Shorthair

Scottish Flop

Siberian

Any other suggestions from fellow head-case cat owners?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been thinking about getting a cat for a few months now and I've started narrowing down the breeds I'm interested in. Here's the short list so far:

British Shorthair

Scottish Flop

Siberian

Any other suggestions from fellow head-case cat owners?

foundling. I'd never get a cat based on breed, only based on the cat that picked me.

Maine Coons are fabulous cats. Size of small dogs (biggest domesticated cat breed I expect), intelligent, as good a personality as youll get out of a cat.

They do moult like nothing else though. Big fur droppers.

Oh, also I don't have a cat. Its against the terms of the lease. And dad is allergic so we never had one back home. But I'm very much a cat person.

I'd never get a cat based on breed, only based on the cat that picked me.

There's a lot to be said for that. One of my cats was found for me. She was the runt and was abandoned by the mother to die @ 2 weeks old. She stays 10-15' away from me almost all the time, and can be a real pain in the ass. I went to the SPCA a few years ago to get another cat, and there were a couple that seemed nice enough. But the one I got just wouldn't leave me alone. She followed me around the room, climbed up the cages to get me to pet her and couldn't get enough attention. I almost didn't get her because she was older (7 years) and had been hit by a car at some point, and as a result was down an eye and one of her canines, so her tongue keeps sticking out. Needless to say, she's a goofy looking cat. But after having cats (and dogs) my whole life, she is the most affectionate cat I've ever come across. She picked me and I'm glad she did.

Me too .... all of my animals are rescues.

Another vote for a shelter cat. We have three and the two greyhounds are rescues as well. But I'll also agree with Duggeh on the Maine Coon. The cat that owned us the longest was a Maine Coon. 20 lbs at his heaviest, he wasn't fat, just huge. And a great personality. He lived to be 18 and was one hell of a kitteh.

Deepak, a good friend of mine did a lot of research into Scottish Folds and was planning on getting one (intelligence, affable personalities, cute, etc) until her husband more or less put the stomp on that plan. Since he'd moved cross country and built a new house just so she could quit her high paying job and go to acupuncture school, she gave in on the cat. She almost had me convinced to get one instead. If you're set on getting a breed, they're pretty cool.

slightly off topic: my dirtyboy new cat is at the vet's getting a bath. I'll take pics when he gets home if he doesn't try to shred my face after sending him off to cat hell. He's already filled out quite a bit in the last week and is looking good. He's stopped trying to bump me back into the kitchen and is no longer eating like there isn't enough food in the world for him. He still doesn't have a name. Bumpers no longer fits, and nothing else has stuck yet.