Wanted: Full size ATH-ES7

Agnostic

I know some people are going to want to burn me at the stake for this :stick:, but I have come to the conclusion that I really, really like the sound signature of the ATH-ES7. I have seen them described as having snarly mids, closed phone honk, and artificial unnatural sounding mids , and I have really, REALLY tried to NOT like them, but it's useless, I just can't help really enjoying them.

In fact I am enjoying them so much I have been wondering if there is a full size circumaural headphone that has a similar sound signature, especially when it comes to the mids, though I must say I also like the way the highs, mids and lows are balanced on the ES7. The reason for this is that I have a strong suspicion that I may prefer a full size headphone with such a sound signature taken up one level in refinement to any of the phones I currently own or have heard.

So everyone, go ahead, call me a deaf idiot completely devoid of good taste and then tell where I can find one. >:D

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will be able to convince myself to spend that amount of money on another headphone in the next few months, but I will start doing some research. ;D

Are the w5000 mids similar to the ATH-ES7? (Well fot that price they should be better! But I mean a similar type of sound)

the W5k doesn't have any bass. none, it can't produce frequencies below about 150 Hz.

I know I have heard at least a 120 Hz tone before...but I was using the

AT-HA5000 to get it... No I tested it at 35 Hz with good volume. I could begin to note a fall off below 35 though, 30 was still good volume while with a 25 Hz tone I was not getting much.

i was being facetious. i think the W5ks definitely lack bass response and definition, and it wasn't a seal issue, because i played around with the fit until i got it just right.

You know, you just tell it like you hear it...so when I say I have measured the tone at 30 with good volume and you don't hear the bass that is what you hear; nothing. I will never disagree with you that you don't hear it, but it certainty does set a bar as to what you do hear.

So no W5000. I need bass. Not lots of it but it needs to be there and it needs to be somewhat tactile, not just hearable. If that's what some people call bloated, then it's bloated that I want. ;D

I don't care about neutral, I don't care about accurate; musical experience and enjoyment is as personal and subjective as it gets; I just want the maximum phenomenal experience of enjoyment I can get. If that means I'm hearing music in a way it never sounded, and was never meant to sound: I couldn't care less. This does not mean that any crappy can will do though because I DO like refinement and detail.

You know, you just tell it like you hear it...so when I say I have measured the tone at 30 with good volume and you don't hear the bass that is what you hear; nothing. I will never disagree with you that you don't hear it, but it certainty does set a bar as to what you do hear.

I think EdipisReks was just being sarcastic?

I tried generating a 25Hz tone and it's clearly audible. At 20Hz it's barely audible and at 15Hz I don't hear anything.

I agree that generally the W5000's bass is rather quiet though. It's a toss up between the K701 on which one has less bass. ;D

The w5000 extends quite well but bass quantity is definitely negligible. That's good since you weren't sure you wanted to spend 550-700 on a headphone anyways. Fortunately there is another fullsized AT headphone with a good midrange and good bass quantity. They call it the L3000. (I hear the W11JPN might give you what you want as well).

The w5000 extends quite well but bass quantity is definitely negligible. That's good since you weren't sure you wanted to spend 550-700 on a headphone anyways. Fortunately there is another fullsized AT headphone with a good midrange and good bass quantity. They call it the L3000. (I hear the W11JPN might give you what you want as well).

Now that I think about it the better option is probably a W10VTG. Can also be had for ~$600 and is clearly better than the W5k in my book.

Now that I think about it the better option is probably a W10VTG. Can also be had for ~$600 and is clearly better than the W5k in my book.

The VTG's signature is not very close to the ES7, but it seems like its closer than the W5k. I have a feeling the new A900Ti (is that new one you got Dusty?) will be similar, but that is just based on some impressions I have read about it.

Why don't you get an A500, and have someone to a driver swap? I'd be interested to do it/hear the results.

Also I want my VTG back so badly.

So the new shortlist includes:

W11JPN

L3000

W10VTG

A900Ti

I'll look what info I can find on them. It's a pity the ATs are so difficult to find for auditioning here in Holland.

Anyone know if the ATs are cheaper in Japan? I'll probably be there again later this year.

And thanks for the advice!

check http://www.pricejapan.com, they'll ship to holland.

W11JPN

L3000

W10VTG

A900Ti

I'll look what info I can find on them. It's a pity the ATs are so difficult to find for auditioning here in Holland.

Anyone know if the ATs are cheaper in Japan? I'll probably be there again later this year.

W11JPN

L3000

W10VTG

A900Ti

They are definitely cheaper than PriceJapan and that sort. Be sure to check out Fujiya-Avic, as they have a selection of used items as well. (updated daily or something)

http://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/d-style/u-hp.html

...hearable...
[pedant]audible[/pedant]
I have a feeling the new A900Ti (is that new one you got Dusty?) will be similar, but that is just based on some impressions I have read about it.
No, I have the A950Ltd.
Why don't you get an A500, and have someone to a driver swap? I'd be interested to do it/hear the results.
Just curious -- why the A500, because it's the cheapest? I might do that with my PS-1's...

PS1 drivers sound good in CD3000 shells :)
That was the impetus, yes. But I'd rather use $100 shells than $400 shells. Although I'd probably be better off looking for someone else's leftover shells from something. I wonder what that headphone woodier guy does with his leftover shells...maybe I could use one of my Beyer shells...