Your Favorite Popcorn

postjack

My wife buys gourmet popcorn, like specific varietals and the like. But mostly I can't tell the difference. I just buy the largest kernels I can find, and pop them in olive oil. Coconut oil is better, but I'll be damned if I'm keeping that nasty stuff around. Then the real trick: super small salt grains. Popcorn or pickling salt.

takes all kinds, i guess.

Well, i think it's all about what one is used to.

Here in Germany Popcorn is nearly always sweet, so you grow up with it.

When i was in the States i bought a bag of honey butter popcorn, believing it was sweet. ( I mean honey and salt?...)

Imagine my suprise when i spit the first bite all over the floor....

< huge fan of popcorn. I use Orville Redenbacher popped in one of those big silver mixing bowls on the stove, using canola oil. I've read that peanut oil is even better, but that's expensive. I usually season it with garlic salt/powder, fine-grained salt like pickling salt, butter salt, and actual melted butter. Verah niiice.

Parmesan and Red Hot is nice for a change.

For microwave popcorn, I use cheap old Weavers, then I put a liberal amount of cheese powder my fiancee's mom gets from the Amish market in and shake it up...that's pretty damn good.

If you want to go deluxe with microwave popcorn, I like Orville Redenbacher's Pour Over series.