Kittery, ME Mini-Meet Impressions

en480c4

The meet's still in progress, so no real impressions to speak of. I just figured I'd check in. I'm hosting, and there's a lot to be said for not having to break down and set up my rig somewhere else! The group here is myself, Vince (n_maher), Dave (drp) and Haj (Salt Peanuts). I'm sure we'll get to the equipment present, impressions and pics later. For now? Back to listening!

O0

Yeah, having a good time despite the 4" of snow this morning that threatened the meet. Pictures are incoming for the impatient.

Only impressions so far:

1. Holy crap the pico is good. I don't know what all the belly-aching over at Head-Fi is about with respect to issues using it with IEMs and volume control. It was fine with my ER4Ps and tracked evenly down to nearly inaudible levels. I honestly wish that Justin would make one that's about twice as big so it wouldn't get tugged around on my desktop, that's one of the few things holding me back right now since I don't need a portable amp, but a desktop version sure would be slick.

2. God damn I love the HE60s. :'(

A few quick pictures, more later...

The famous accent wall!!! call me Vince, eh?

92202762.jpg

Vince's craptacular rigs

92202620.jpg

Haj's Rockhopper Beta22 (sounding fantastic out if its now-wired 4-pin jack)

92202625.jpg

Dave's Rockhopper KGSS (soon to have a new knob)

92202628.jpg

Pico (holy hell this thing is small and makes big sound)

92202763.jpg

The world's most absurd MS-1s?

92202624.jpg

Ian's rig (should have made him move it since the rest of us all schlepped gear here)

92202622.jpg

There were a few Grados in attendance (across the top - HF-1, HF-1, HF-1, botom SR225, RS-1, MS-1)

92203519.jpg

Thanks guys...

Quick impressions:

Pico

Because I knew I was buying my new place, I made a big effort to avoid the Pico at the last Boston and NYC meets. Nate had already let me know that it was damn impressive, and as much as I wanted to check it out, I didn't want to test my (lack of) will power. Well, after getting it hooked up to my HTPC, I couldn't avoid it any more. I don't want to spout of hyperbole, so I'll summarize it as follows: I could live with this as my only rig. It drove Senns and Grados equally well. Detail, soundstage, PRaT, impact, texture, instrument separation, all top notch. Wow. Just... Wow! And to top it all off, the size and overall presentation is just stunning.

Rockhopper 3-channel Beta22

I had listened to Nate's 3-channel Beta before, so I knew what to expect. This is an amp that is still on my list of DIY projects, and will definitely build one at some point. This thing handled everything we threw at it... HD-650, RS-1, HF-1, K-1000... And everything sounded great. It just has an effortless presentation, where you don't ever think you're making it work.

Rockhopper KGSS / Sennheiser HE-60

This was another combo I had had intentially avoided, but Dave lugged it all the way up here so listening was the least I could do! Well, thankfully this is well out of my price range because this could be real trouble. The only thing I found it lacking in was impact. But the resolution it had, as well as amazing treble detail with no harshness, was to die for. The only thing that surprised me at all was that they were a little more forward than I expected. They weren't bright at all, but the upper mids were more prominant than I would have expected.

I'll let Dave get into the details on the KGSS, but my understanding is that it was Stephen's personal amp which he ended up selling to Dave. That's probably why nobody's seen a RH KGSS before.

New buttonless RS-1

These were a pleasant surprise. I don't know what changes may have been made, but they are definitely a different beast than the last non-vintage RS-1s I tried. They sounded good with both bowls and flats, and didn't have any of the brightness or grating sound that always jumped right out at me with RS-1s previously. I don't think I liked them as much as the non-serial number, brown headband ones I heard at the NYC meet, but they are definitely a headphone I could see myself owning if anything were to happen to my HF-1s.

K-1000

Time for yet another product I had made every effort to avoid... These sounded great. My listening with these was limited to acoustic music where it sounded well-balanced with a great presentation. I didn't get around to listening to them with anything that would've tested their low end. But the Beta22 drove them very well, and I can see why people seek them out.

Woodied 225

I had heard these before Nate modded them, and they already sounded worlds better than any 225 I had listened to. I don't know if it was just product variation, the squished bowls, or what, but they sounded great in stock form. But as is usually the case with the woody mods, the increase in chamber depth seems to do a nice job letting them open up a bit. Highs seemed a little smoother and bass extension seemed improved. Whenever people have recommended 225s in the past, I always wondered why... They had never done anything for me. But these strike me as 90-95% of the HF-1 for a lot less money.

I'm sure as others post impressions I'll remember things I forgot, but I'd have to say the meet was great success. Good music, good gear, good people and my cats didn't damage anyone's stuff! Big thanks to Nate, Haj and Dave for making the trip in less-than-ideal weather.

As far as I know this was a one-off build that started and the head penguin's personal amp.

I wonder if he's interested in a selling a few more one offs? I think the right amount of alcohol next week will be all it takes. Either that or I will get someone to kick his ass in darts or fusball winner decides the fate of the RH KGSS.

which grado sounded the best?

I'm still partial to my woodied HF-1. The new RS-1 was very impressive. But flats still strike me as slightly congested, and bowls end up skewing the presentation a little too far to the high end. There's definitely better resolution, with improved bass and treble detail. But the trade-off isn't worth it to my ears... I just love the overall sound signature of my HF-1 with bowls. The 225s definitley were nice, and my MS-1s were a pleasant surprise. With the comfies, the MS-1s strike me as pretty well balanced, though they do lack a little resolution at both ends of the sprectrum. This was also the first chance I had to listen to them after putting the wood cups on them. My new leather headband for my HF-1 arrived as well, so the MS-1s now have a 325i leather headband. Overkill? Yup, but I wouldn't have it any other way!