Totable hard-drive based system

Dusty Chalk

So...I've been thinking. I need to stop dragging all my CD's around with me everywhere. Especially to meets, and to friends' places, when I need a very specific subset of my CD's -- the ones with which I'm most familiar and like. My "test" CD's. So what's the best recourse? I'm thinking: laptop->DAC, perhaps external hard drive->laptop->dac. I was thinking about something like a hard-drive-based digital media player (basically, an external hard drive with a play button):

5156434a.JPG

...or perhaps even:

MS300_large.0.jpg

(Obviously, there are more entry-level-priced equivalents.)

But I haven't heard anything really about the hard-drive based ones, anyone heard any of these that they could recommend? Or do you think laptop + DAC + external hard drive would be the way to go?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you want to send the drive to to 'play'.

I dont personally have any drives with all the one-touch type stuff installed, and if I do, I dont use them. I just move folders manually. Its the only way I've ever really liked doing. So nothing like the mac 'time machine' etc.

Also, I think alot of the one-touch stuff is geared towards folks who need their C Drive, or OS drive backed up. Frankly, alot of those people have nothing on their computer more important than the latest rounds of email jokes and computer games.

For people needing significant backups of audio and whatnot (i.e. anyone reading this thread) I dont personally think the one-touch stuff is necessary. Just my opinion though.

A few things to consider; price, noise and physical storage space. Physical space meaning how much room on your desk for external drives. The economical way to go would be smaller drives, and add more as you need them. The downside would be noise (multiple drives = more noise) and less desk room. The pricey way to go would be larger drives, which yeilds less noise (typically) and more desk room, since you would need fewer HD cases.

My personal pref. is the largest drives possible in the smallest enclosures possible, price be damned. All I know is I have no intention of ever stopping musical purchases, and will always be adding material to my drives (save for occasions of saving $ for speakers >:D)

Yeah, the McIntosh was just an example, I have no intention of getting it. But basically, any of the higher-end self-ripping standalone media players. Perhaps an Olive Opus or Symphony would've been a better example -- basically, a player I could bring that already had some subset of my library.

And that's a good point about meets -- nowadays, I could easily fit 48 or however many CD's onto the hard-drive space. So the externals would stay at home.

So...I've been thinking. I need to stop dragging all my CD's around with me everywhere. Especially to meets, and to friends' places, when I need a very specific subset of my CD's -- the ones with which I'm most familiar and like. My "test" CD's. So what's the best recourse? I'm thinking: laptop->DAC, perhaps external hard drive->laptop->dac. I was thinking about something like a hard-drive-based digital media player (basically, an external hard drive with a play button):

5156434a.JPG

...or perhaps even:

MS300_large.0.jpg

(Obviously, there are more entry-level-priced equivalents.)

But I haven't heard anything really about the hard-drive based ones, anyone heard any of these that they could recommend? Or do you think laptop + DAC + external hard drive would be the way to go?

mac mini + either internal drive upgrade (500gb will be possible soon) or external drives + dac :)

I'm thinking that that might be a better idea than randomly clicking. It also might not take as long. Yeah, there are lots of options. Lugging around a small (cheap, in case it gets busted) LCD wouldn't be so bad, neither.

The nokia 770 or ipod touch or iphone + signal works well.

Portable dvd player w/ ipod dock and video in is a good alternative, and relatively cheap, too

I like the signal option best because I also have a vnc client on it when I need to control the system, but otherwise, it works just like a great little remote.

If you are likly to carry around a laptop (or Mactop) anyway, I would recommend that since it is a flexible solution. At work I use an 2,5" external drive and a Pico for amp/dac and I am very satisifed with that. Some headphones might need a "stronger" amp than the Pico, I somehow feel that the Pico handle my DT770 better than DT880, even if I think DT880 is by far a better phone.

You also can use a Squezebox/Transporter as (wireless) dac. After getting both the Pico and a Stello DA100 at the end of last year I regret I didn't pay up for a Transporter (I my defence the Transporter is quite a lot more expensive, and I can use the DA100 as a DAC, but a one box solution would be much prefered). I don't think the Squeezebox can match the Pico or the DA100.

2,5" external drives normally won't need external power so I strongly would recommend them instead of a 3,5" drive (which in it self is *much* larger, (its more than an inch)).

I just moved into my new 'space' in the office, and have been looking into what to getting for audio.

Its ever-evolving, but here is the current idea I have:

2298484688_2713b989ce.jpg?v=02298484672_e521151f4d.jpg?v=0

2298484664_44776248a3.jpg?v=02297689081_462b7b1ec8.jpg?v=0

2298484658_b885494e07.jpg?v=0

The HD is 2TB. I have used one previously, and it is whisper quiet and cool. The one I used didnt have the black stripe, but that is probably just a recent cosmetic change.

That'll definitely one of the most absurd office amps ever. But if you're going with the mini it might make more sense to use a Duet for DAC duty.

I agree with Nate. I love the Pico and use it as the dac for my office rig which is speaker based. However, at home I use a mac mini and duet. It is the best choice, imo if going with a stationary rig.