Sony PS-X800 (vinyl cheap and easy)

yes, Brooks is supposedly the place to go.

if i can get the table dialed in, then i'll think about needledrops. i would greatly appreciated some pointers when i get to that point. ;)

right now, the tt is tilted to the higher register. the treble is still hot and sibilant after 15 hours of play on this new cart and going from a ss phono not set to the exact load to a tube phono set to a proper load. yet it is better. i am not familiar enough with the tt to know if it's partly responsible for the brightness or the cart. either way listening fatigue sets in rather quick.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, Brooks is supposedly the place to go.

if i can get the table dialed in, then i'll think about needledrops. i would greatly appreciated some pointers when i get to that point. ;)

right now, the tt is tilted to the higher register. the treble is still hot and sibilant after 15 hours of play on this new cart and going from a ss phono not set to the exact load to a tube phono set to a proper load. yet it is a better. i am not familiar enough with the tt to know if it's partly responsible for the brightness or the cart. either way listening fatigue sets -in, in rather quick order.

Might be that impedance mismatch. I'm always quick to blame the cart though. ;) I'm too impatient to wait for a cart to break in.

i don't know enough, but believe the new tube phono stage i am using is set-up to match this cart. though, there's a large adjustment field to play within. it is better, but still fatiguing to my sensitive ears. i think it's the cart.

David,

Heads up. Brooks Berdan is hosting a LA/OC Audio Society meet on May 17th 1-4PM. Dave Wilson of Wilson Audio will be there with his new best friend the Alexandria X-2. A big two for one in my mind, see y'all there.

David,

You are using the Moth Cicada full range speakers yes? How is the bass response with the TT?

haven't used the cicadas with the table yet as i am still experiencing issues and not pleased with the sound. my patience is weaning and can't say if it's the table, cart, set-up, or mating components. without question the reimyo has far better bass response and overall is far, far superior.

David,

Heads up. Brooks Berdan is hosting a LA/OC Audio Society meet on May 17th 1-4PM. Dave Wilson of Wilson Audio will be there with his new best friend the Alexandria X-2. A big two for one in my mind, see y'all there.

well when i see Brooks within the week i'll mention it to him. if i am free and it's an open invite, i'll try to make it.

• 2 weeks later...

See you there.

going to Brooks? i have to go back.

David,

Congrats on the TT, although I hope you get your cartridge sorted out.

thanks, Steve. yeah, i am at my wits' end. yesterday i received the denon dl-110 and shure M97xE so time will tell...

we need to have a tt shootout! Glad to hear your tt is making sweet music.

i had been pretty close to throwing in the towel with this little vinyl venture. after going through four different carts, i found one that i really like--the denon dl-110. i picked it up on amazon for $140 (including free shipping) and have been pleasantly pleased ever since.

we need to have a tt shootout! Glad to hear your tt is making sweet music.

i had been pretty close to throwing in the towel with this little vinyl venture. after going through four different carts, i found one that i really like--the denon dl-110. i picked it up on amazon for $140 (including free shipping) and have been pleasantly pleased ever since.

Didn't like the Shure huh?

i am still debating whether i should open the M97xE or return it. after finally finding something pleasing to my ears and my experience with those other carts i am not ready to swap out the dl-110 since i just mounted it three days ago. i've about 25 days left to decide.

Damn! So now we are talking cart, phonostage and even tone arm matching to get the components to work together, and at $150 to $600 a pop for cartridges this can get very expensive real fast. This is the very reason I am hesitant to take the leap in vinyl goodness right now I am having a tough enough time finding speakers that work well with my different amps, now complicate that with the whole TT chain and I just might switch from Pinots to heroin.

David, where how did you decide on these cartridges to audition was it BB?

Damn! So now we are talking cart, phonostage and even tone arm matching to get the components to work together, and at $150 to $600 a pop for cartridges this can get very expensive real fast. This is the very reason I am hesitant to take the leap in vinyl goodness right now I am having a tough enough time finding speakers that work well with my different amps, now complicate that with the whole TT chain and I just might switch from Pinots to heroin.

yeah vinyl can be a fickle little bitch especially while attempting to please finicky ears.

the PS-X800 came with a p-mount Ortofon cart, which sounded better on the sellers system than my own. i had originally intended to purchase the denon dl-180, but got sidetrack after speaking with Brooks' son Brian. They both highly suggested I get the Benz MC20E2 and it was even more appealing because they had old stock pricing ($200 vs. $250). Yet that cart was sibilant and hot, hot, though, otherwise not bad sounding. When I told Brooks my woes, he said he made the recommendation and would take care of me. Upon my return, Brooks thought the Grado Gold would be a good alternate choice. In his shop, we also did some listening and comparing with a Sumiko Blue Point special, which not only was more than I was willing to spend, but didn't tickle me right upon first listen. After spending a few hours with the Gold in the comfort of my own home, I thought it wasn't as hot as the Benz, but still it got too bright and a bit harsh at times in the top. further, it just wasn't a very coherent cart and veiled to boot. I had to make a third trip back, but he kindly refunded my money.

Now I am sitting pretty and my ears are happy with the DL-110 and looking at this sealed Shure M97xE box, both I ordered from Amazon and wondering how the latter would fare.

ok, after comparing my ps-x800 against the HK st-7 my table still sounds bright in the upper register and lite in the bottom, but overall substantially better than before. i am pulling my hair out over this thing and it's making me more nuts than usual. there are a few possible variables as i see it--the dl-110, installation/set-up, the turntable, or something is amiss with this particular table.

i am so ready to swap in the M97xE. but before i go through with it, i need to compare my table against another with the same cart, a sumiko blue point special, since this might resolve whether it's the cart or table.

Damn, I must have gotten lucky that my first foray into vinyl was jackpot and a total win over CD/SACD. I contribute a lot of that to the TT expert at Audio Atlanta that set up my table. That and the previous owner of this table/arm was obviously very serious about sound & taking care of gear (the vintage FR arm is a splendid match). That and I did drop a big brick of money on it all :P Phono stage is a Benz just like my cart, so no matching issues there. I did choose the nude Glider model over the cheaper acrylic body Ace and more expensive wood body L2 because its lower mass seemed a better match for my heavy-ish tonearm.

After 1 year of use there's been no need for maintenance, no degradation in sound quality on the cart or my records :) Though, the Benz Glider cart I use just went up in price by another $200 that I'll get hit with when it's time to replace :(

i hate you! :P HATE :rant: YOU! :laugh:

i didn't have success with my first vinyl rig--scout plus about $2K in accessories and whatnot.

well it turns out my cart wasn't dialed in right. the denon overhang gauge didn't jive with my sony headshell (as my tt didn't come with the original overhang). we used a digital caliper and found the stylus to be a little more than 3 mm off. after a slight lengthening adjustment that highs recessed just a bit (more normal and tame) and the bottom appeared. ;D

i think that issue is put to rest, fingers crossed.

now i need to work at making my vinyl quieter (cheap cleaning or something) and my first few hours with the 640p hasn't been too good--i'll probably be looking for another phono stage, though, i am giving the 640 a few weeks and going to leave the thing on to see if that makes any improvement plus switching back and forth between the MM and MC inputs. right now i am borrowing a friend's tube phono because the 640p initially made me grit my teeth.

Benz has a very nice trade-in program, that you can benefit from.

I know, and I plan to take advantage of that :)

Especially nice that they ship a brand new cart for a Glider "re-tip". However, it seems the trade-in/re-tip prices have also gone up around $200 with the switch to the new S-versions :(

I've been 100% satisfied with the sound of the L2 Glider...hope the signature hasn't changed a bit on the new ones!

• 2 weeks later...
well it turns out my cart wasn't dialed in right. the denon overhang gauge didn't jive with my sony headshell (as my tt didn't come with the original overhang). we used a digital caliper and found the stylus to be a little more than 3 mm off. after a slight lengthening adjustment that highs recessed just a bit (more normal and tame) and the bottom appeared. ;D

i think that issue is put to rest, fingers crossed.

I have a PS-X800 as well. Scored a copy of the manual on another site (not sure if it's okay to mention or not, PM if you have trouble locating it in the engine). No guides needed, just an accurate metric ruler.

now i need to work at making my vinyl quieter (cheap cleaning or something)

Found a used Nitty Gritty Record Cleaning System Model 1.0 for about what that 'extra' cart cost you. Fix-up bits/supplies readily available, works far better than I ever imagined. Can't play without it anymore. Not optional, and great ROI.

and my first few hours with the 640p hasn't been too good--i'll probably be looking for another phono stage, though, i am giving the 640 a few weeks and going to leave the thing on to see if that makes any improvement plus switching back and forth between the MM and MC inputs. right now i am borrowing a friend's tube phono because the 640p initially made me grit my teeth.

Don't overlook the interconnect cables from the Sony. Removed mine and added teflon cored, gold RCA jacks to the back panel. PITA to do, but well worth the trouble. BTW: arm and internal wiring measured to be about 27pF, so if your using a MM cart that might be handy to know.

Gotta say; one-button cue-play-park sure is sweeeet. :popcorn:

Cheers,

cool, another ps-x800 owner! i can't tell you how hard i've been looking for the owner's manual. no worries about mentioning other sites or even whatever around here, just feel free to speak your mind we have zero moderation with that type of stuff. i found the service manual on the vinyl engine, but have yet to find the owner's. well, i almost bought one off a guy on eBay--but backed out.

yeah the nitty gritty 1.0 is a great bang for your buck unit. i got a steam cleaner. it's working pretty well and can't complaint considering i only paid $30 for it--better than nothing.

i've thought about upgrading not only the interconnects, but the power cord too. right now my main priority is finding a decent phono stage that i am happy with preferably under $400 (so going used). those pesky cables will have to wait just a bit before I get cracking on it.

so relieved that i got the cart squared away and now dialed in right and proper and the table is sounding really fantastic--completely balanced, articulate, and excellent PRAT. the denon dl-110 is really impressive especially considering it's a steal at $140 shipped. it's a moving coil, but it has a high output at 2.2mv or something around there.

cool, another ps-x800 owner! i can't tell you how hard i've been looking for the owner's manual.

HINT: the setup info is in the SM too

yeah the nitty gritty 1.0 is a great bang for your buck unit. i got a steam cleaner. it's working pretty well and can't complaint considering i only paid $30 for it--better than nothing.

Sounds like a good deal. I'm a real fan of the vacuum assembly - really does work wonders.

i've thought about upgrading not only the interconnects, but the power cord too. right now my main priority is finding a decent phono stage that i am happy with preferably under $400 (so going used). those pesky cables will have to wait just a bit before I get cracking on it.

I'll be curious to learn of your experiments with that part.

so relieved that i got the cart squared away and now dialed in right and proper and the table is sounding really fantastic--completely balanced, articulate, and excellent PRAT. the denon dl-110 is really impressive especially considering it's a steal at $140 shipped. it's a moving coil, but it has a high output at 2.2mv or something around there.

I'm about to push BUY for a DL-160, like the niftier stylus shape. Did some dig'n and it seems that these carts really like a 1k ohm load. Reportedly more balanced than the stock 47k load.

Cheers,

saw it on page 10 of the sm i believe. though, i wonder what other tidbits of information the owners manual holds. vacuums are great, but that's down the road. a friend loaned me another phono stage, a substantially better one, in fact, the best one i've heard in my system and my little vinyl rig has no right to sound as good as it does--so much detail and information it's utterly mind boggling. the 1k load is what i've read as well.