Sony PS-X800 (vinyl cheap and easy)

thanks for the suggestion. any modification has to wait until i get help because i don't have the skill to pull this off. no, i don't own a multimeter.

909:

no DIY nescessary. my guess is that you can use multiple switches to effectively parallel resistors. what's the target value you'd like to reach?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

909:

no DIY nescessary. my guess is that you can use multiple switches to effectively parallel resistors. what's the target value you'd like to reach?

5K load

dude. buy a Fluke. i inherited mine from my late father (it's my most prized item that belonged to my father, right after the Rolex GMT Master that i wear), and i'm not exactly the worlds best DIY'er, but i use the thing all the time and it's amazing.

thanks, Reks. i'll take a close look at the fluke.

• 2 months later...

Are you guys still enjoying your Biotracers? I have the opportunity to get a PS-X75 (not sure how this one compares with the others?) locally, that I might look into more.

I still need to sell my MMF-5, though I've been using it a lot more recently.

edit: headphones are brutal with surface noise though.

Edited by deepak

Are you guys still enjoying your Biotracers? I have the opportunity to get a PS-X75 (not sure how this one compares with the others?) locally, that I might look into more.

I still need to sell my MMF-5, though I've been using it a lot more recently.

edit: headphones are brutal with surface noise though.

yes, i am still very pleased with my biotracer especially after getting things dialed. in fact, i haven't touched my digital source in weeks. here's a little info on the PS-X75. yeah, i've a few records i'd like to clean to see if that reduces the dirty noise, but i have many more that are exceedingly quiet and most are just primarily negligible where it doesn't really bother. a stylus that digs deeper in the groove is likely to reduce such noises too.

local pick is ideal -- and if it is in good condition and a good deal, go for it! i seriously doubt, you'll be disappointed.

• 2 months later...
AudiogoN ForSale: Sony PS-X800 Biotracer

Is this a good deal for the X800?

It really depends on condition and where it is sold.

In Europe, the Sony PS-X800 Tangential-Biotracer Turntable commands a much higher price than here, but such units that I've seen at dealers overseas have been throughly checked and cosmetically look near perfect.

Now this person has been trying to sell his for months HiFiClassifieds :: High end audio components and hifi audio equipment for sale in free classifieds: Turntables, SONY PS-X800 Turntable, I guess he is patient.

The seller on Audiogon first asked $1295 then lowered it to $895. Now he's knocked off another $100. One recently sold on eBay in the high $500, but to my eye it wasn't in as good condition and didn't have the original head shell. The seller didn't even mention that fact and never took a close up of it. An original head shell sold for nearly $150 on eBay.

I got my table for a deal, but it doesn't work perfectly, though, I know how to get it to working. Most of these have or develop issues with the servo in the arm not working right -- so it can be temperamental at times and especially the first time you want it to work.

I would be hesitant to have it shipped, but if the seller is being forthright and it is fully functional and in near perfect condition with a dust cover, I'd say his price isn't unreasonable. But it certainly isn't a great deal. Probably another $100 off would be decent deal, $200 off would be a great deal and anything more than $300 off, I might bite.

the most critical thing with shipping a table is does he have the original box and all the styrofoam as well as transport screws. If the answer is no then stay away, I would not care what he said about his shipping prowess. I am 1 for 3 on turntables arriving intact with no original packing materials.

the most critical thing with shipping a table is does he have the original box and all the styrofoam as well as transport screws. If the answer is no then stay away, I would not care what he said about his shipping prowess. I am 1 for 3 on turntables arriving intact with no original packing materials.

Are you still using the Zyx cart on your Sony?

I didn't get the X75 I posted about due to just being too busy at the time, but I'm still keeping my eyes open if I find one locally.

i am a crazy packer -- i bet i could pack it well enough to survive shipping, but finding that screw or something that would achieve the same end would be ideal.

Are you still using the Zyx cart on your Sony?

I didn't get the X75 I posted about due to just being too busy at the time, but I'm still keeping my eyes open if I find one locally.

yes, the ZYX Bloom is still my favorite cart under a grand. Although at .24 output I have to get a phono pre with 60db gain or better to get it good volume.

i am a crazy packer -- i bet i could pack it well enough to survive shipping, but finding that screw or something that would achieve the same end would be ideal.

provided you pack the cover separate, pull the platter and sub platter (if it has a removable one) off and wrap that separate, secure the tonearm well (remove if possible, remove the feet if they come off. Not saying it can't be done but most packers approach it like it is a cd player or something and at a minimum trash the cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

first off I'm the person with the PS-X- 800 for sell on AGon So to address some of the questions that were brought up.....(FS: Tubes -- 6SN7) My original listing price of $1295.00 was a mistake based on a different item I was offering at the same time, hence the speedy correction! Secondly the $895.00 I thought to be more than fair based on the tables overall condition, it's rarity, plus the fact it's also inclusive of the Ortofon ($300.00+ )cartridge. After carefully reviewing the market place as it stands for now, I have decided to get much more aggressive with the offer and reduce it to it's current firm selling price of $749.00.

As for shipping of the table....I concur with member jp11801 that as a rule this could pose a major problem "IF" the person that's doing the packaging is less than confident with the necessary procedures to complete it.

I for one have shipped all over the world without any incident of damage. i.e. An SME 20 to Spain, Verdier La Plantine to London, Zanden 9000 series Mono Blocks to New York, and so on. Without the aid of the original manufactures packaging as can be documented by way of my AGon Feedback.

So if this helps address any of the questions that were brought up...it was my intent to help answer them for you.

cheers

Craig

• 3 weeks later...