Sony PS-X800 (vinyl cheap and easy)

as many of you know, i sold my vinyl rig (& saturn) to sport the reimyo cdp-777. yet, even though i sold every bit, i could not part with my meager vinyl collection--particular the beatles, lennon, rush, miles, led zeppelin, coltrane etc... when i would read posts raving about the vinyl experience, i jealously longed for it and at the same time dreaded it because i never really achieved it, lack the knowhow to properly set-up a tt, and the whole process seemed overly involved.

so now and again, i had been thinking and researching how to do vinyl on the cheap and easy--vintage tables and rega were likely contenders. i wanted to keep it well under a grand and more or less just desired something to spin my 40 odd records and whatever i might buy.

this week, i discovered pretty much push and play linear turntables from the 80s--such as technics SL-7 and SL-10, Yamaha PX-2 and PX-3, and Sony PS-X600 and PS-X800. they had received praise with respect to sound quality and ease of use. though, dismissed to a certain degree by the audiophile community at large. these technics were limited to p-mount cartridges. i found a very nice Yamaha PX-3 (based on the PX-1 and then PX-2) on eBay, but the local seller never replied to my messages and did not provide any type of shipping quote. additionally as nice as the PX-3 is regarded, the PX-2 is better. Sony also produced some linear tables in the 80s with their biotracer tonearm. the ps-x800 is considered one of the best Sony ever made (up with the PX-2), but not in the same league as the PX-1. the Yamaha and Sony linear tables mentioned, i believe, take virtually any cartridge and installation is less involved and easier than the commonly used pivot arms. Sony's biotracer arm is far more complex, but mounting a cart is probably the simplest and easiest of all the tts mentioned.

when i found a local guy selling the ps-x800, i jumped. yes, there are risks involved because the tables are very complex and few people have the skill or parts to service them. i don't believe Sony even services or provides parts for them anymore.

here's what i bought in manhattan beach today for $280.

SNC11110-1.jpg

believe it or not, the seller had a hornet, hd600s, hd650s w/ cardas cable, and ci audio headphone amp besides what one would normally expect--a bedroom and living room speaker rig. after listening a bit with speakers, i moved on to the hd650s, ci audio amp and revolver lp, which sealed the deal. within the next few days i'll borrow a friend's phono stage until i get something permanent, yet i am going to keep it under $180 such as the cambridge 640p. possibly in the next few months, i'll upgrade from the included ortofon cart to the denon dl-160.

SNC11091-1.jpg

can't wait to hear it in my system and compare it against the reimyo and see what a $500 to $650 vinyl rig can do.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I like the linear trackers too for their ease of use. I recently purchased a Mitsubishi LT-30 (second one I've owned), and it works great. There is a bit of setup and adjustment, but nothing like a standard table. The Mitsu excepts standard mount cartridges as well.

I went to Austin today to hang out with luvdunhill, and he took me to a couple of great record shops. I stocked up on cheap vinyl!

Congrats on the TT, enjoy it!

Bugles rule!

i should already have it, but the post office messed up my PO Box, and the Bugle and a couple other items I'd had sent there were returned to the sellers. :rant::sadcat:

its all good now though, and Jim resent the Bugle last week. i might get it as soon as tomorrow. guess i need to buy some batteries!

Nice! I like the linear trackers too for their ease of use. I recently purchased a Mitsubishi LT-30 (second one I've owned), and it works great. There is a bit of setup and adjustment, but nothing like a standard table. The Mitsu excepts standard mount cartridges as well.

I went to Austin today to hang out with luvdunhill, and he took me to a couple of great record shops. I stocked up on cheap vinyl!

Congrats on the TT, enjoy it!

thanks. i've read very good things about lt-30 and it did get favorably comparison to the PX-2/3. what lps did you bag?

very nice! can't wait to hear your impressions. i heart vinyl on the cheap. when I get in my bugle my vinyl rig will total $700.

i am very excited. it's killing me not having a pre/phono stage. i only look and play without listening. but soon very soon...

Nice TT you got there David. You'd be surprised how good they can sound when properly set up.

As for the Bugle - I hear it is quite the phono stage. I hear it can beat out the Sutherland phono stages in terms of sound quality. :kitty:

I really want a Bugle but I don't have the DIY knowledge to build one. (I am too cheap to buy it made)

Nice TT you got there David. You'd be surprised how good they can sound when properly set up.

As for the Bugle - I hear it is quite the phono stage. I hear it can beat out the Sutherland phono stages in terms of sound quality. :kitty:

I really want a Bugle but I don't have the DIY knowledge to build one. (I am too cheap to buy it made)

thanks, Luis. i am happy with the tt so far. without question, proper set-up is of the utmost importance. i am relieved to have the biotracer arm to help with that part.

it's certainly nice having a tt again. i don't know if it's just nostalgia or something akin to comfort food, but there is a happy feeling i get having the player spinning and records out. i suppose what really got me into music was listening to vinyl way back when...

right now it's a somewhat mixed bag because i suspect the included cartridge is worn and needs to be replaced and my records could use a cleaning. i am wavering between a few carts--the DL-160 ($180), AT-OC9 ML II ($299), and the AT33PTG ($340), though, the latter two are more than i want to spend. so i am heavily leaning towards the DL-160. i would like to believe i can achieve good results manually wet cleaning, but wonder if something like the KAB-EV1 would yield better results. again, i don't want to sink more money than i have to at this point, though, i would like to reduce as much unnecessary noise as possible. also, i believe the cleaner the record the longer the needle should last plus since i am getting a new needle i would like to keep it as clean as possible. i am pretty set on the cambridge 640p since it should be a good starting point and based on my research seems well suited for the DL-160, however, i am not 100% certain since i am just relying on online opinions and what not.

thanks. i've read very good things about lt-30 and it did get favorably comparison to the PX-2/3. what lps did you bag?

Gregg Allman - I'm No Angel

ELO - Out Of The Blue

Elton John - Rock Of The Westies

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones

Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

Gordon Lightfoot - Summertime Dream

Joan Armatrading - The Key

The Dream Academy - The Dream Academy

& Dire Straits - Dire Straits

i would like to believe i can achieve good results manually wet cleaning, but wonder if something like the KAB-EV1 would yield better results.

Don't forget the Nitty Gritty Record Doctor III, an Audio Advisor exclusive. $140 more then the KAB, but you don't have to hook up your own vacuum. I use the Record Doctor III with Disc Doctor brushes and Quik Wash fluid with great results, though it worked well with the included brush and Nitty Gritty fluid as well.

went to Brooks Berdan ltd. today--really nice shop and great guy. instead of getting the dl-160, i listened to Brook's son Brian and a guy from needle doctor and got the MC20E2-H. unfortunately, it's proven so far to be treble hot and shows no indication of taming. most lps are slightly to seriously irritating since nearly every s, sh, z, is delivered with sibilance. the set-up instructions say a 20-hour "break-in" period, but i doubt it will change drastically within the next 15 hours. i hate having to call Brian tomorrow and tell him.

:sadcat:

went to Brooks Berdan ltd. today--really nice shop and great guy. instead of getting the dl-160, i listened to Brook's son Brian and a guy from needle doctor and got the MC20E2-H. unfortunately, it's proven so far to be treble hot and shows no indication of taming. most lps are slightly to seriously irritating since nearly every s, sh, z, is delivered with sibilance. the set-up instructions say a 20-hour "break-in" period, but i doubt it will change drastically within the next 15 hours. i hate having to call Brian tomorrow and tell him.

:sadcat:

I don't know anything about the cart in question, but is it possible you have an impedance mismatch with your phono stage? This could cause the excessive brightness you are hearing.

good call!

Craig & Brooks both said the same thing.

Brooks said the cart load is 47K, which I believe the phono is set at. he also mentioned gain, and said the output is 2.2mv. though, advised to give it at least 20 to 30 hours before making any changes as the cart should settle. Craig offered to change the load as some cartridges even sound better with different loading than the manufacture states. i'll spin and wait.

good call!

Craig & Brooks both said the same thing.

Brooks said the cart load is 47K, which I believe the phono is set at. he also mentioned gain, and said the output is 2.2mv. though, advised to give it at least 20 to 30 hours before making any changes as the cart should settle. Craig offered to change the load as some cartridges even sound better with different loading than the manufacture states. i'll spin and wait.

Nice. Makes me wish I had a kick ass local dealer like that. :-\

Keep us posted on how it goes. :)