Concert dilemma -- please help!

Voltron

So, I have tickets to see jazz legend and really old guy Charles Lloyd tomorrow night. He is playing with Jason Moran, Eric Harland and Reuben Rogers, a killer quartet. He is not and all-time favorite of mine, but he is great and, as mentioned, really old. I have seen several jazz greats shortly before their deaths and I try to see the old guys when they are around for this reason in addition to their music.

The dilemma arose today because a buddy just sold his guitar to a guy who works on the Ray Davies tour. He offered him tickets and possibly back-stage passes for the Ray Davies show tomorrow night. Because my buddy cannot go, the guy said I could take the tickets. Ray Davies and the Kinks ARE among my all-time favorites. I've been liking Ray's recent solo work and the Kinks shows I saw were excellent. Ray isn't quite as likely to kick it before I have another chance to see him, but he is around less frequently.

My wife might pick either, and I haven't asked her yet. What do you folks think? I am stuck. :doghuh:

Go see your fav, though Ray is (or at least was) an ass in person.

That is why I mostly avoid getting to know artists who's work I respect, at this point. WAY too many of them are insufferable. Not all, by any stretch, but it's hard to continue to like someone's work once you find out he's a jerk.

I had to choose between seeing Ornette Coleman or Wayne Shorter tomorrow. In the end I picked Wayne Shorter because it was easier to get to, but still a hard choice.

You probably can't go wrong either way, so go to whoever you like more. (Eric Harland and Reuben Rogers are a great rhythm section live fwiw ;D)

I'm not even really big on back-stage, although my college roommate would kill me if I passed up the chance to meet Ray. :stick:

In my experience "back stage" passes are pretty worthless if you're trying to meet an artist. I know when I worked the back stage the artists were pretty secluded and it was definitely the exception when they did a meet-and-greet.

In my experience "back stage" passes are pretty worthless if you're trying to meet an artist. I know when I worked the back stage the artists were pretty secluded and it was definitely the exception when they did a meet-and-greet.

Sometimes there was free beer. :)

True, although there is a chance. I met Roger Daltry, Zack Starkey, and Pino Paladino after The Who show last year, and Roger actually spent a few minutes chatting with my buddy and me. He was very cool. Pete had bugged out the second the show was over so I didn't even see him backstage.

Oh yeah, and I drank the last remaining beer in the guests lounge. O0

I had to choose between seeing Ornette Coleman or Wayne Shorter tomorrow. In the end I picked Wayne Shorter because it was easier to get to, but still a hard choice.

You probably can't go wrong either way, so go to whoever you like more. (Eric Harland and Reuben Rogers are a great rhythm section live fwiw ;D)

I saw Ornette a couple years ago and he was awesome. SF Jazz is doing a Wayne Shorter tribute thing this season, so the Collective is doing his music and he is doing two different shows. I am going to one of them, which has a latin jazz twist, I think. I have also see Harland and Rogers before, and I agree they are hot.

I think you should go to the jazz concert and yell out old Kinks titles as requests.

Play "You Really Got Me"! Play "Lola"! Play "All Day and All of the Night"!

etc.

Funny you should say that, because I almost got thrown out of a concert for shouting out some shit when I was in college. The new wavy band Scandal, fronted by the cute new wavy chick Patty Smyth, was opening for somebody (it might even have been the Kinks but I cannot figure that part out) and I started shouting for Patty to lift up her short new wavy skirt. LIFT IT UP! LIFT IT UP! LIFT IT UP! I was a bit drunk and they were terrible so it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Not sure how that would translate to the Charles Lloyd show. 8)

I'm gonna see if I can get thrown out of canjam for that.

Funny you should say that, because I almost got thrown out of a concert for shouting out some shit when I was in college. The new wavy band Scandal, fronted by the cute new wavy chick Patty Smyth, was opening for somebody (it might even have been the Kinks but I cannot figure that part out) and I started shouting for Patty to lift up her short new wavy skirt. LIFT IT UP! LIFT IT UP! LIFT IT UP! I was a bit drunk and they were terrible so it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Not sure how that would translate to the Charles Lloyd show. 8)

There are too many ageing jazz greats to see them all, and a lot of the ones I saw somehow failed to meet expectations. The jazz line-up sounds great, but if I had to choose between Lloyd and my favourite c-pop star, I'd still go for the latter (backstage or not). Then again, if he pulls off a concert a la Lift Every Voice, I'd really kick myself for not going...