The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

The HE-5LE was really unimpressive. Cramped, slow. I did like the HE-6, however. If the amplification requirements are not extreme, it seems like a winner at around $1300. I'd certainly take it over the T1 and probably the HD-800.

How did it sound vs the LCD2? I understand there were two HE6 versions there right.

HE-5LE was really a letdown at the show and didn't really do much for me even on a great Eric Clapton unplugged recording. I was quite excited about the HE-6 until I saw them at the show and felt they were kind of a let down too. The look exactly the same as the HE-5LE except they have a pseudo leather coating on the plastic cups and the diaphragm is different. In other words, it doesn't really feel like a 1300-1600 headphone in the least bit to me. The amplification worried me too since he had it running off a 100W amp and I even asked fang about my 10W Woo 5 amp and he wasn't sure if it was enough!! Listening to the same Eric Clapton album fared better on the HE-6 than HE-5LE and they seemed to have quite good imaging and highs, but nowhere near the detail retrieval of the LCD-2. The LCD-2 felt a whole lot more linear and 'real' sounding to me compared to the HE-6 that might have a bump in the highs. I pretty much have no interest in purchasing the HE-6 and don't feel that they are anything other than a retrofit of the HE-5LE with a gold plated diaphragm. It also doesn't feel like a finished product either and not tested as thoroughly as the LCD-2, which was good enough for the Village recording studio in Santa Monica to snag 50-100 pairs to be used in house. Sorry to be pessimistic about the HE-6 but I was frankly expecting more....

Hello,

I dont usually post but, just to clarify in case there was a misunderstanding. The Village did not purchase 50-100 pairs.There a handful of recording and post studios in LA that have purchased LCD-2's.

Also I just wanted to say it was nice to meet some new faces and see some old friends at Can Jam. So many amazing rigs to drool over. Thank you all for listening and your honesty.

How did it sound vs the LCD2? I understand there were two HE6 versions there right.

I have the poorest audio memory known to man. I had the HD-800s, T-1, and the O2's nearby to A/B. I heard the LCD-2 about 3 hours later in the Woo room so I really can't make a decent comparison and I won't try to guess.

Stax bitches!!!!!! ;D

I did like the LCD-2 and the Thunderpants but the HE-5 was a massive letdown.

Everyone on HF (read: a single person or two) is now going around saying that all Stax people (read: you) hate orthos now after your comments there. :palm:

I think though that Nankai is shooting himself in the foot pricing the HE-6s so high, especially with the LCD-2 attracting so much attention now. They need to be $995 I reckon, and he needs to stop with the conspiracy theories when someone says something nice about his competitor.

Everyone on HF (read: a single person or two) is now going around saying that all Stax people (read: you) hate orthos now after your comments there. :palm:

I think though that Nankai is shooting himself in the foot pricing the HE-6s so high, especially with the LCD-2 attracting so much attention now. They need to be $995 I reckon, and he needs to stop with the conspiracy theories when someone says something nice about his competitor.

Heh the electrostat hate from the ortho crew (cough NoNoNoNoNoNo) is funny sometimes. Compensating is a bitch ^-^

edit: see the -> ^-^ (I like orthos) and I vaguely remember trying to explain to Al (while drunk) at DanJam why we like them :P

Edited by deepak

HE-5LE was really a letdown at the show and didn't really do much for me even on a great Eric Clapton unplugged recording. I was quite excited about the HE-6 until I saw them at the show and felt they were kind of a let down too. The look exactly the same as the HE-5LE except they have a pseudo leather coating on the plastic cups and the diaphragm is different. In other words, it doesn't really feel like a 1300-1600 headphone in the least bit to me. The amplification worried me too since he had it running off a 100W amp and I even asked fang about my 10W Woo 5 amp and he wasn't sure if it was enough!! Listening to the same Eric Clapton album fared better on the HE-6 than HE-5LE and they seemed to have quite good imaging and highs, but nowhere near the detail retrieval of the LCD-2. The LCD-2 felt a whole lot more linear and 'real' sounding to me compared to the HE-6 that might have a bump in the highs. I pretty much have no interest in purchasing the HE-6 and don't feel that they are anything other than a retrofit of the HE-5LE with a gold plated diaphragm. It also doesn't feel like a finished product either and not tested as thoroughly as the LCD-2, which was good enough for the Village recording studio in Santa Monica to snag 50-100 pairs to be used in house. Sorry to be pessimistic about the HE-6 but I was frankly expecting more....

The cups are actually covered with real leather if that really matters to you. Looks, feels, and smells like it too.

Anyone have pics of the HE-5LE diaphram?

The HE-6 not feeling like a finished product? No shit, Sherlock, it's not the final product. But overall build quality of the prototypes feel pretty finished to me.

-Ed

Me hating ortho's couldn't be further from the truth. Hell I started the ortho thread here... :palm: The HE-5 is far from acceptable so let's not count that but Colon's TP's were just awesome from Scott's Dynamight. Not perfect but like so many truly great headphones, more good then bad and the "bad" just gives them character and doesn't detract from the overall experience. That can't be said about HE-5's...

The LCD-2's need work and if they won't fix potential issues such as with the height system and the shitty cable (how hard is it to get 4 strand braided 24awg wire and cover it in multi filament) it could blow up in their face and I for one don't want that. The bass also needed taming but some people do like a little bit of bloat...

Sorry Duggeh, this had me in stitches.

Tyll :

But the ultimate experience was Duggeh's Orthos that managed a spectacular showing: possibly the highest ever recorded percentage of total harmonic distortion. In fact, I would say the his Orthodome weren't burdened with a simple percentage of THD but were the living breathing embodiment of Total Harmonic Distortion. Well done Doug. Cut the cord, frame them, and hang them up on the wall for display, your work is done.

and methinks the Baker likes his bass lightly roasted ;-)

..dB

This is what makes headphone recommendations in general so flawed, we all have variations in headsize, hear differently besides having different points of reference and fortunately don't all like the same thing. I personally don't care how well something measures it is all about how it sounds to me and I would love to hear Doug's orthodome at some point. I just had a good laugh at Tyll's comments, he must be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with.

..dB

The LCD-2's need work and if they won't fix potential issues such as with the height system and the shitty cable (how hard is it to get 4 strand braided 24awg wire and cover it in multi filament) it could blow up in their face and I for one don't want that. The bass also needed taming but some people do like a little bit of bloat...

Whats the issue with the stock cable? Seems to be a decent starquad copper cable?

Birgir, I noticed that bit of bass bloat as well which is rampant among stock vintage orthos (and even much more severe, in some cases). Of course it could be fixed by damping which would also bring up the treble a little but I'm wondering if it might have also been because of the Cavalli amp it was hooked up to.

Hello,

I dont usually post but, just to clarify in case there was a misunderstanding. The Village did not purchase 50-100 pairs.There a handful of recording and post studios in LA that have purchased LCD-2's.

Also I just wanted to say it was nice to meet some new faces and see some old friends at Can Jam. So many amazing rigs to drool over. Thank you all for listening and your honesty.

Hey there, we definitely wouldn't mind if you would post more. I'm that tall skinny Asian dude with the vintage electrostats. If you would try slapping a layer of felt over the backs of the LCD2 drivers like I think you did with the LCD1, you might find things sound even better. But of course I wouldn't ask you to modify them in the production LCD2s since there would be different "versions" since people are lazy and can't be bothered to put it in themselves. Just a random suggestion from a weirdo, you don't have to try or change anything since it's clear many people are very enamored with them already.

Meanwhile, I'm so loving the fact that I have another T40v1. They aren't the best at any one thing and they are closed but damn, something with them just jives with me. I'll take my sweet time really tuning them in the next couple of months.

This is what makes headphone recommendations in general so flawed, we all have variations in headsize, hear differently besides having different points of reference and fortunately don't all like the same thing.
...as well as listening at different levels -- the amp/headphone interaction is going to be different for each amp/headphone pair, and depending on the level at which you listen, things can sound different.

I suspect that's why I don't find the bass so overwhelming on, for example, the DT770's -- I don't listen to them that loud.