The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Looks quite cool! Zero damping as well, I guess it works well due to the velour pads like that. Nicenice.

Id like to hear them, but too much for me to shell out. If anyone in London gets a pair please contact me, I have an LCD2 and would love to compare it.

My guess is they slightly increased trace density (but its still evidently thick) to increase ohmage, but still used the overall HE5/HE5LE methods. Plated the traces with gold (for some unknown reason.......), and slightly played with the thickness of the diaphragm/traces.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a Mini Meet this past weekend with Iron_Dreamer, Jasper994, LFF, Zippy2001, and I. They wanted to check out the HE-6 as well as catching up with old friends.

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_01.jpg

Gear line up.

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_02.jpg

Eddie Current Equilibrato.

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_03.jpg

LFF enjoying the HE-6 through a Stello DA220 to the Grace m902.

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_04.jpg

Trying the HE-6 through the Lavry DA11 to the Eddie Current Equilibrato

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_05.jpg

Zippy2001 and LFF listening to the HifiMan HM-801 at the same time. (GAME Amp module and line out to Pico Slim)

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_06.jpg

HM-801 ate a Sansa Clip+

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_07.jpg

The hazards of wearing universal IEM's. Zippy2001 got silicone ear tips stuck deep inside his ears, LFF delicately removed them successfully.

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_08.jpg

Dinner at Five Guys afterwards. I shouldn't have ordered the regular double burger...

Edwood_HifiMan_HE-6_MiniMeet_09.jpg

-Ed

Peter tipped me off to that one, along with Pizzeria Bianco, but there's no fucking way I'm waiting 3 hours in line for pizza.

We're visiting my wife's father who's very ill with heart related problems, so I'm thinking the chances of a family outing to Heart Attack Grill might not be the best idea. That is unless we want to give him a final send off immediately this weekend.

Oh, and on a remotely on topic post, I've been looking for a pair of high end open headphones, and I think the HE-6 is going to be it.

-Ed

so you have a definite preference for those over the LCD? Madness!! ;)

I hope to get listen one day, they'd need to be friggin spectabulous to beat the LCD for me. As nice as the tweaked HE5LE is, it's no match for the LCD. Given the huge price difference between the 5 and 6 I'd expect a significant improvement. Especially in the bass and overall balance. I still prefer my TPs to the HE5, and the LCD to the TP unless I can come up with something that takes the Fostex drivers to a new and probably impossible level. Now, if fostex ever gets around to making an oversize driver with a metal frame...

I can dream :) I'd love to get my sticky mitts on a set of LCD drivers to play with.

Well to my ears it was no contest, the LCD2 whiped it's ass with the HE6, HE5LE and HE5. I also didn't think the HE6 was a significant upgrade from the HE5. Tyll's measurements help to support that, but that's not saying the HE6 is a bad headphone, it most certainly isn't, but the LCD2 is THAT good.

IMO the TPs bested the HE6.

The LCD-2 I heard at CanJam had horrible soundstage and imaging. Huge hole in the middle of the soundstage. Very separated left and right channels, like it was in dire need of crossfeed. Aude'ze and ALO both swear up and down that there was nothing wrong with it, so if that's how the LCD-2 is supposed to sound, no thanks.

I'd definitely like to hear a different LCD-2 sometime. But even if it didn't have those sound quality problems, it still doesn't fix the part that it is very uncomfortable to wear.

The LCD-2 I heard at CanJam had horrible soundstage and imaging. Huge hole in the middle of the soundstage. Very separated left and right channels, like it was in dire need of crossfeed. Aude'ze and ALO both swear up and down that there was nothing wrong with it, so if that's how the LCD-2 is supposed to sound, no thanks.

I'd definitely like to hear a different LCD-2 sometime. But even if it didn't have those sound quality problems, it still doesn't fix the part that it is very uncomfortable to wear.

Veryyy strange. The LCD2 has the most 3D soundstage iv heard, giving me an impression of a "whole" sound compared to most headphones iv heard :S.

Maybe im used to a MUCH more L/R seperated kinda sound then hmm...but doesnt seem likely. Somethings off.

As for comfort, Im thinking maybe that varies person to person?

The headband is THE most comfortable headband iv ever felt on a headphone due to the foam.

The weight is fairly weighty, but it doesnt mother me due to the way it is spread out evenly.

The clamp did annoy me a bit when I got it, but after a little stretching, and softening the pads with a bit of massaging, I have zero gripe with the comfort. And all 3 people who tried it at my house also felt the comfort complaints on HF were way ott.

So because of this I think the confort issue is fixable. The sound issue on the other hand, if your ears hear another LCD2 like that too, then its unfixable for your tastes, and rightly so it's not the can for you.

Two big fit and comfort issues that will never be resolved without modding the LCD-2.

1. Leather Ear pads = sweaty nasty in warmer weather

2. Open foam headband pad will deteriorate/shred over time. Seriously? Could some form of cloth/vinyl/leather material not have been used to cover the headband?

I thought the LCD-2 was somewhat mediocre, both in sound and comfort. The sound part might be changed with a different amp and damping, though. The design is sturdy but a bit clunky. There does need to be something done about the foam headpad, as made obvious to me by Jecklins which use a prodigious amount of foam.

Very curious about the HE-5LE and HE-6.