The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Well the T50RPs are in the house. Sonofabitch these things are hard to drive. The poor little Starving Student seems to be struggling.

In stock form, it shouldnt struggle thaat much...especially with a starving student.

I dont have the T50RP, but I have an older T50 style driver, and the Starving Student does a decent job.

Also does a great job with the much harder to drive Yamaha HP-3.

Yeah, but based on their specs they shouldn't be that hard to drive (98dB/mW, 50ohm).

Right now I'd swear the right channel is fading in and out periodically so it could be that I've just got a wonky pair. :(

And that's what fools so many. Based on specs the Donuts should also be easy to drive, but they're near as difficult as K1000s.

Glad to hear you got them in. Hopefully they'll open up a bit after a few hours of a strong signal stretching their legs.

Hey Nate, glad to see you joining us orthoists, hope the T50RP work out for you. Those are probably next on my list to buy.

Their's planars, of course they are hard to drive. :) The original T-50 makes most amps cry...

And burn...

And that's what fools so many. Based on specs the Donuts should also be easy to drive, but they're near as difficult as K1000s.

The Donuts had specs?

Nate, the fading in and out is a problem with the arecup connector, swiveling the connector a bit should help. Mine did the same, one reason mine are rewired. On the efficiency thing, I don't have trouble driving mine from a DAP or any of my amps.

I still can't say enough about getting them properly housed. they are just outstanding. Mine now have Omega1 pads and some internal epoxy putty molding inside the pads. They're fairly heavy but very solid and I love all aspects of them. I can't point to a single thing I would like to improve. For me they do just about everything perfect.

The driver is unbelievably hampered by the housing. Solidity and mass are the two keys to these things. Add them and the driver becomes a real eye opener.

Edited by Smeggy

They need a few days to loosen up, more than I was expecting. The diaphragm seem tight to start with and they went fairly low but not much power there, now... holy crap. I even said on H-F that these will never be bass monsters with that piddly little driver. Was I ever wrong. A week or so later and these completely outclass all the other orthos easily (with appropriate mods).

They need a few days to loosen up, more than I was expecting. The diaphragm seem tight to start with and they went fairly low but not much power there, now... holy crap. I even said on H-F that these will never be bass monsters with that piddly little driver. Was I ever wrong. A week or so later and these completely outclass all the other orthos easily (with appropriate mods).

If you keep talking like that smeggy I'm going to send her...

uglyladyii5.gif

to pluck your pubic hairs, one by one until you clone me a pair.

The intermittent channel on some T50RPs is due to manufacturing/storage crud on the removable cord. Wiggle it back and forth a few times, or, better, slobber some good contact cleaner on it and THEN wiggle it back and forth.

Good to hear your results with attempted breakin, Smeggy. I got violent with my original T50RP, as did HFer gerG, trying to eke even the tiniest bit more bass out of the damn things, and we both got nowhere. Of course, if your earpads are undercutting-- literally-- your efforts (and your bass), the changes won't be audible. With the v2 earpads, we can finally hear the results of our headphone torture.

Yay for another T50RPv2 owner! It should sound very good after modding. I might be overly sensitive to nasty enclosure resonances after owning the K340, but this thing seriously needs damping.

wualta, how did you remove your stock damping films? Mine are glued on very tight, I ended up just cutting the center holes out and might end up just cutting out the other holes if I can't figure out how to remove them.

Well the T50RPs are in the house. Sonofabitch these things are hard to drive. The poor little Starving Student seems to be struggling. Sound so far is pretty stuffy and congested, I'll let them run this afternoon and hope things improve. Tonight I'll subject them to some abuse at the hands of the Menace and see what's what.

Stuffy and congested because of the crappy resonances. They're probably the easiest to drive out of all my orthos. You want inefficient? Try a 120-ohm SFI driver.

V2 pads in the house!

And the T50s sound pretty good out of the Menace fed by the Buffalo DAC. I'm going to let the headphone rig pound on them for a while tonight to aid in the "loosening" process. :cool:

I blasted the shit out of mine over a few nights at very high volume off my power amp. The housings are very thin and if you tap the housing you see just how crappy they are. There's no padding of any kind inside to damp them. Even when damped it's still not solid enough to let the driver work well.

It's like a loudspeaker with a plasti case, no matter how much damping you apply it'll never sound as good as a solid/rigid box.

Are the 120ohm SFI drivers particularly hard to drive? :confused:

*Has just built Orthodome #4 with 120ohm SFI drivers*

Really? Yours aren't? Maybe I'm doing something wrong... What do you have your Orthodome hooked up to?

It's like a loudspeaker with a plasti case, no matter how much damping you apply it'll never sound as good as a solid/rigid box.

Aw, don't be like that. =(

I am, but no two of the builds are the same so a comparison wouldn't be fair. A change in the damping can make a huge difference to the efficiency even on the same driver. Each new build was basically taking what I learned from the previous one. I think I've got it just right this time.

I'll lay down the claim that this is the best circumnaural ortho in the world! Ha!

Gah, I'm stuck with this supraaural frame. At least it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, and it sounds pretty good, to boot. I'm close to getting the sound just the way I want it.

I'm glad you like your Orthodome #4! Gives me hope that I can yet make a good circumaural SFI with the right donor headphone. I still have a matched quad of drivers left, I was hoping to think up some crazy headphone implementation for them, but nothing yet.