The Orthodynamic Thread

spritzer

Guest sacd lover
Other than the T50 v1 :P

The Yamaha YH-1 is awesome after the damping mod and being recabled. I liked the headphone so well I bought a YH-2. Currently the YH-2 is returning from Oregon after undegoing a similar damping mod and recable. I havent heard any good electrostats in so long I cant offer that comparison. But, I can tell you these old orthodynamics are very fast and resolving yet very musical. I bet these headphones would sound excellent with only the damping mod. But, since I got the recable done so inexpensively I did the recable too.

bce5_1.jpg

b05c_1.jpg

c340_1.jpg

b99c_1.jpg

adcf_1.jpg

Ahhh.... well then the YH/HP-1000 should be nice but there we are right at square one again.

The Yamaha YH-1 is awesome after the damping mod and being recabled. I liked the headphone so well I bought a YH-2. Currently the YH-2 is returning from Oregon after undegoing a similar damping mod and recable. I havent heard any good electrostats in so long I cant offer that comparison. But, I can tell you these old orthodynamics are very fast and resolving yet very musical. I bet these headphones would sound excellent with only the damping mod. But, since I got the recable done so inexpensively I did the recable too.

Thanks Yamaha was what I was thinking from everything I've read. Ebay prices are a bit much now though :-\

Guest sacd lover
Thanks Yamaha was what I was thinking from everything I've read. Ebay prices are a bit much now though :-\

I paid $107.50 for the YH-1 and $85.99 for the YH-2 around a month ago. I bought a nos YH-1 yesterday for $162.50. These headphone drivers will be around long after all the original Grado HP-1000 drivers are in a trash can. Moreover, these headphones are wayyyyyyyy more comfortable than the HP-1/2/3s. People spend $1200-2000 on HP-2s. I would love to compare the two .... modded YH-1 vs HP-2.

I've had a YH100 in my hands and I'd say it's not very comfortable at all. If the Grados are that much worse, I don't understand why anyone would want them.

If you want an ortho and can't afford a Yamaha for a now somewhat over-inflated price, I say go for some of the Fostexen, which are cheaper, much comfier, and with better chance of finding replacements for parts like pads and cables (obviously the newest generation Fostexen in particular).

From what I remember of my time with the PS-1, all of my orthos are more comfortable. Maybe one of the other Grados, possibly with different pads, would be a different story, but I just havnt had enough time with them to tell. Kinda doubt it though, as I have always hated the texture of the grado pads. For orthos, I have Yamaha HP-1, HP-50A, YH-3, 2x Fostex T20v2, and a Realistic Pro30

Who do I have to mug to get an ortho that sounds sort of like the SR-007? More politely what ortho should I be looking for ^-^

I'd have to say the Yamaha YH-1000 would be closest to the OII. The YH-1000 has better bass however, but it's all mute because a pair just sold on ebay for $1000.00. That's just looney IMO. I bought them new in '82 for $150.00.

I'm going to try this new Cashmere felt that I got from an Italian member in my YH-100 based Donut soon. I think I'll also try a reflex dot to bring the highs out a tad more.

I'll have to get Marc to let me try his OII pads on them, but I absolutely love the L3000 pads on them.

So in my recent trade with antonyfirst on HF, Tony sent me some extra felt to play with. He sent some really dense Purple felt and some Blue Cashmere felt that he'd had great success with in the NAD RP18. He sent other felt as well that I haven't tried yet.

Before damping the NADs I wanted to get really familiar with them, so instead tonight I redamped my Chocolate Donut MkII. I used the dense felt at the back of the cup followed by the Yamaha Yellow foam, then the Cashmere Blue felt next to the driver with a 1/2" paper reflex dot centered on the backside of the Blue felt.

Let me start by saying that I've always fealt that Skylab's YH-100 based Strawberry Donuts had a bit deeper bass than mine, and I was never quite sure why. Well now I've definitely picked up a little deeper bass with this redamp. From memory I'd say it's about the same as Rob's Donuts. But the surprise was the added sparkle in the upper register. I have to think the reflex dot is responsible for this.

I think this redamp is a raging success, but I was saddened that I had used too much of the Cashmere felt to be able to use it in the NAD redamping when the time comes. However after a quick search on the net I found a fabric store selling a yard of Cashmere felt for $5.95. Yes Cashmere felt! It's some closeout sale, but the good news is that I can't possibly use anywhere near that much myself. So once it arrives and I'm able to judge it, I'll have plenty to pass along.

The SR-007 pads gently caress your face so anything will be a step down comfort wise from them. I don't find Grados particularly comfortable either.

The SR-007 and SR-Ω are the only headphones I can wear for hours at a time without any discomfort. The older model has got the edge though as the pads are much bigger (the whole headphone is quite a bit bigger) so they are less claustrophobic.

I'd have to say the Yamaha YH-1000 would be closest to the OII. The YH-1000 has better bass however, but it's all mute because a pair just sold on ebay for $1000.00. That's just looney IMO. I bought them new in '82 for $150.00.

One set went for close to 100kYen recently so this has nothing to do with sound quality any more. :palm:

Btw. Do you remember what material was on the earpads when you bought them? There has been this debate on HF whether they were pleather or not.

I'll have to get Marc to let me try his OII pads on them, but I absolutely love the L3000 pads on them.

When I got my Chocolate set it came with Beyer leather pads and frankly sucked. The SR-007 pads brought much needed focus to the table along with a general upgrade in all areas.

The SR-007 and SR-Ω are the only headphones I can wear for hours at a time without any discomfort. The older model has got the edge though as the pads are much bigger (the whole headphone is quite a bit bigger) so they are less claustrophobic.

Where can I purchase a set of the new Black pads for the 007 MkII?

Btw. Do you remember what material was on the earpads when you bought them? There has been this debate on HF whether they were pleather or not.

Definitely pleather, just like the YH-100. Hardly anyone was doing leather back then.

When I got my Chocolate set it came with Beyer leather pads and frankly sucked. The SR-007 pads brought much needed focus to the table along with a general upgrade in all areas.

Yeah the Beyer pads left a lot to be desired. The L3000 get your ear closer to the driver, and are almost a cross between circumaural and supra-aural.

Where can I purchase a set of the new Black pads for the 007 MkII?

I usually buy my pads from Japanese retailers through deputy services so I'd drop Craig at KuboTen a line and see how much a set would cost. The Mk1 pads are around 5800-6000Yen but the new pads are more expensive despite being only partially made out of leather.

Definitely pleather, just like the YH-100. Hardly anyone was doing leather back then.

That's what I thought too. That guy from Poland is always saying that his set had cotton pads which makes less then no sense given the planar nature of the drivers.

I usually buy my pads from Japanese retailers through deputy services so I'd drop Craig at KuboTen a line and see how much a set would cost. The Mk1 pads are around 5800-6000Yen but the new pads are more expensive despite being only partially made out of leather.

I'll check into it. You know it would be fun to ship you the Donut MkII and have you try them. Then you could also compare the L3000 pad to the OII pad before I drop $140.00 on a set.

The MkII uses the YH-100 driver, and is now damped better IMO than the first gen. Donut. They're prettier too. :P

That's what I thought too. That guy from Poland is always saying that his set had cotton pads which makes less then no sense given the planar nature of the drivers.

Tomek? I've seen pics, and they do indeed seem to have some type of fabric pads. I assure you they are in no way original equipment, and I'm quite certain he'd get a big jump in SQ if he'd replace them with a suitable pleather/leather donor. He may be under the idea that they are stock pads, but as an original YH-1000 former owner I'm in the know. ;)

So I just reread this entire thread (a bit easier to do than the HF thread), and a few things I need to log down for posterity are...

1) Marc is a fickle bastard, and he's always moving on to new things. So if he sells the T50 V1 without giving me first dibs, I'm sending -= Germania =- to wreck his marriage.

2) I need to get off my ass and make an SFI woody. How would a Grado based headband mechanism and custom woody housing sound with the SFIs and the giant foam GS1000 pads? I have no idea how the foam pads would do with planars, but I'd like to try.

3) My penis is very respectable! In fact it's been stored away for 15 years now just to gain back said respectability.

With all the experimenting I've done with the SFI drivers, my biggest recommendation to you is to make sure to have a sealed earcup. You won't get that with the Grado Bagels. Unless you coat them in electrical tape or laminate them or something. With the same build on two Goldring headphones, the difference just between the DR100 velour pads and the DR50 pleather pads was vast. All down to the seal.

I'll check into it. You know it would be fun to ship you the Donut MkII and have you try them. Then you could also compare the L3000 pad to the OII pad before I drop $140.00 on a set.

The MkII uses the YH-100 driver, and is now damped better IMO than the first gen. Donut. They're prettier too. :P

Only one problem with that... I have no dynamic amps left. :'(

Tomek? I've seen pics, and they do indeed seem to have some type of fabric pads. I assure you they are in no way original equipment, and I'm quite certain he'd get a big jump in SQ if he'd replace them with a suitable pleather/leather donor. He may be under the idea that they are stock pads, but as an original YH-1000 former owner I'm in the know. ;)

Good to have that cleared up. When I got my first SR-X Mk3 I also thought that it used cotton pads with a vinyl back... :-[

With all the experimenting I've done with the SFI drivers, my biggest recommendation to you is to make sure to have a sealed earcup. You won't get that with the Grado Bagels. Unless you coat them in electrical tape or laminate them or something. With the same build on two Goldring headphones, the difference just between the DR100 velour pads and the DR50 pleather pads was vast. All down to the seal.

The seal is the key and so is the ability of the headband to provide enough tension. My Koss bastards I started off this thread with sound great when I push them towards the ears but the horrible headband can never do that on its own.

I agree that seal is key. The velour Beyer pads were terrible. I just wasn't sure how dense the Grado foam would be or how it would seal. I wonder if a rubber coating on the face of the foam pads would be worthwhile?

I guess it would just be easier to try a known quantity and go with pleather pads.

The Goldring frame fit me very well, but I have a small head. Good thing too, because the NADs just fit at the end of their adjustment. They must have been designed for toddlers?

Only one problem with that... I have no dynamic amps left. :'(

No more Beta22?

I suspect that the Goldring headband wouldn't extend enough for your head. It has to be right out for mine.

Very few do. :-[

I agree that seal is key. The velour Beyer pads were terrible. I just wasn't sure how dense the Grado foan would be or how it would seal. I wonder if a rubber coating on the face of the foam pads would be worthwhile?

I guess it would just be easier to try a known quantity and go with pleather pads.

The Goldring frame fit me very well, but I have a small head. Good thing too, because the NADs just fit at the end of their adjustment. They must have been designed for toddlers?

Putting some leather on top of the foam should work very well but you could just as well use something like the Stax SR-5 earpads or AKG.

No more Beta22?

There was no point in keeping it with no dynamic cans and it only pulling speaker duty.