Pass Pearl PCBs and related parts

luvdunhill

One thing I don't understand, does one channel use a positive powe supply and the other a negative one or do both use (and if so can they share?) a positive supply?

Also, where can I find these boards? I read that you got them from someone in Europe, are more available?

THanks in advance!

Manuel

One thing I don't understand, does one channel use a positive powe supply and the other a negative one or do both use (and if so can they share?) a positive supply?

Also, where can I find these boards? I read that you got them from someone in Europe, are more available?

THanks in advance!

Manuel

each board has it's own single rail supply.

THanks in advance!

Manuel

Try here:

DIY Audio Projects

• 4 weeks later...

I thought about a ZYX cart, the Bloom, but went with the Denon DL-S1 since I got a fantastic price on it about 40% below retail and really like the DL-110 sound plus think Denon carts drastically outperform their asking price. Based only on my research, a cart with something around .20mv should need a phono stage with something like 60 to 70db of gain.

Edited by 909

No opinion (or knowledge) on the Zyx->Candela. Just wanted to ask you how you like your Odyssey toys?

The Candela Pre and Stratos+ SE amp sound gorgeous, really woke up my speakers.

I had to return the Candela (used unit) for service due to a bad ground in the HT bypass inputs, and what I thought was a too loud hiss level when the unit is on (I could hear it from 6-7 feet away).

Do you think the Pearl along with 12db gain in my Candela preamp, is sufficient for the 0.24mv output Zyx carts?

can you measure output voltage at the speakers when playing at what you'd consider a reasonable volume? You could calculate the gain required to get that voltage from 0.24mV.

Remember, with 60dB gain and 0.24mV source you have .240 V at the input to your preamp.

My guess is you need more gain.

can you measure output voltage at the speakers when playing at what you'd consider a reasonable volume? You could calculate the gain required to get that voltage from 0.24mV.

Remember, with 60dB gain and 0.24mV source you have .240 V at the input to your preamp.

My guess is you need more gain.

Apparently Zyx rates output voltage using a different standard, which equates to like 0.37mv when converted to the normal standard.

Now my Candela preamp has another 12db of gain, so does that get into the reasonable range?

wow, that's similar to the old Airy3 I had. Get ready to start questioning your tonearm :) Did you get the SB/GB weight? You might have issues, as these cartridges are so light.. Same with mating the compliance of the cart with the effective mass of the tonearm.

The pic is off the internet. No idea if the actual unit still looks like this.

I did get the SB weight. Per the calculator I should be fine for arm/cart resonance at around 10hz.

Did you ever do a comparo between your XONO and Pearl? Does the XONO have more gain?

The pic is off the internet. No idea if the actual unit still looks like this.

I did get the SB weight. Per the calculator I should be fine for arm/cart resonance at around 10hz.

Did you ever do a comparo between your XONO and Pearl? Does the XONO have more gain?

well, that depends on how the XONO is configured. I cannot speak to the commercial version. Since it mine has a balanced output, the maximum gain is ~75dB and -6dB from this in SE mode. I have both a -10dB and -4dB gain reduction jumpers on my unit, so can can reduce the balanced gain down to 61dB. I've also customized the gain of the MM stage as well in a similar fashion. At this point, the gain is roughly the same as the Pearl, hence my judgment that the quoted spec of 60dB is pretty close, if not dead on. With my 0.24mV Bloom, I listen with the balanced outputs and the -4dB switch enabled, as this is just the right amount of gain for me (currently).

well, that depends on how the XONO is configured. I cannot speak to the commercial version. Since it mine has a balanced output, the maximum gain is ~75dB and -6dB from this in SE mode. I have both a -10dB and -4dB gain reduction jumpers on my unit, so can can reduce the balanced gain down to 61dB. I've also customized the gain of the MM stage as well in a similar fashion. At this point, the gain is roughly the same as the Pearl, hence my judgment that the quoted spec of 60dB is pretty close, if not dead on. With my 0.24mV Bloom, I listen with the balanced outputs and the -4dB switch enabled, as this is just the right amount of gain for me (currently).

How would you rate the sound quality between the XONO and Pearl?