The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From July 4th 2009.

#1 taken @ dusk, waiting for the oncoming show; 2 seconds at f/8.

#2-#5 taken of the fireworks show. All at varying exposures (ranging from 2 to 8 secs) at f/8.

#6 taken straight into the moon; 30 seconds at f/8.

Focal length on all at 50mm (maxed out my Tamron 17-50). Next time I'll have to either get closer to the action or have a zoom lens by then. ;)

Shooting location in Chautauqua Park overlooking Boulder, CO. Fireworks coming from Folsom Stadium at the local university CU-Boulder.

post-903-12951154064901_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951154065692_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951154066306_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951154066656_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951154067086_thumb.jpg

post-903-12951154067452_thumb.jpg

I have a quick question for you DSLR enthusiasts. I'm looking to purchase a DSLR in the near future. I have no experience with them other than playing around with a friend's D80, and another friend's 5D; however, I would like to buy something that will last me for a long time and not be wasted in the hands of a newbie. Should I purchase the D90 or wait for a cheaper Nikon full frame to be released and buy that? Full frame seems like something that I would want in a camera.

I have a quick question for you DSLR enthusiasts. I'm looking to purchase a DSLR in the near future. I have no experience with them other than playing around with a friend's D80, and another friend's 5D; however, I would like to buy something that will last me for a long time and not be wasted in the hands of a newbie. Should I purchase the D90 or wait for a cheaper Nikon full frame to be released and buy that? Full frame seems like something that I would want in a camera.

Whatever you buy, it will be replaced by something cheaper and better before you're ready for that to happen.

I adore my D90. It's comfortable and takes fantastic pictures. I'd sooner get a camera today and start shooting immediately than wait for something better to come out.

You'll be a better photographer by the time your inexpensive full frame comes out, and you can sell the D90 along if you so choose.

Thanks! I love the experience of using the D700, that the pictures come out better is a bonus at this point. I never thought I'd like live view, but I guess it is easy to say that about things you haven't tried.

But between the live view, larger viewfinder, vastly better screen, improved menu and playback/editing system, more ergonomic and useful vertical grip, and viewfinder shutter, the camera is just a joy to use. Add in the wicked ISO performance, and 8FPS, and shoot howdy what a camera!

Fantastic as usual Peter. Someday I hope to be as good as you. ;)

Test shot with Sigma 50-150mm from today. 150mm focal length, 1/40 at f/22. Shot was overexposed, corrected in Photoshop. (And later saw that the ISO was at 250, doh!) Target is the NCAR facility in Boulder. Not sure how far away I was, maybe about 0.75 mi?

th_ncar_x1.jpg

And a shot back from 6/23. 50mm, 1/4 at f/4.5, and ISO at 125. (Taken with my Tamron 17-50.)

th_sst062309.jpg

(click for larger, of course)

I'll bet ID doesn't :)

What I mean by that is many of the pros I read about, and all of the ones I know, shoot most of the time in A priority. You should shoot in whatever gives you the pictures you enjoy the most. For me, that's A priority 90% of the time. You might enjoy it.

I'll bet ID doesn't :)

What I mean by that is many of the pros I read about, and all of the ones I know, shoot most of the time in A priority. You should shoot in whatever gives you the pictures you enjoy the most. For me, that's A priority 90% of the time. You might enjoy it.

My camera sucks anus at A. Terribly over exposes everything. I really wish I could afford a new one.

Yeah, I generally use A mode most of the time, with some exposure compensation when needed. The cameras I've used (D70s, D200, N80, D700), have had good enough metering that compensation usually only comes in on highly unbalanced scenes like the lake above. M mode usually comes out for flash shooting. P mode & S mode, never touched 'em.

• 4 weeks later...