The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

• 3 weeks later...

I spent the week playing with this combination:

33yrjhj.jpg

There have been a few things that I have encountered that lived up to the hype that preceded them: Macallan 25 year (and 30 year!) scotch, Fuji Velvia 50, Chateu Margeaux '82, Biosphere's Substrata. I can add the Canon EF 85mm F/1.2L II USM to that list. It is 2 1/2 lbs of optical perfection, and at, oh, $750 a pound, it had damn well better be.

I haven't posted any shots here in a looong time, and I don't have time right now either. I have to pick up two rolls of film I had developed yesterday and then find out if I'm doing lights/taking photos at a nightclub tonight. Maybe later this weekend I'll post some of what I've been up to the last 3-4 months. In the mean time, if you're curious, go here.

EDIT: Okay, I lied. Here's one shot that shows off the amazing sharpness, dreamy bokeh (and razor-thin DoF) of the 85L:

3988772314_ae10ee695a.jpg

Pics from two weekends ago on a hike near Ward, CO. I was hoping for additional shooting opportunities of aspen trees this weekend but we got snow here yesterday so no more fall colors now. :(

I later saw ISO was at 1250 after I took these pics. Man I really need to start remembering to double-check ISO before taking pics.... :palm:

1/60 @ f/10, 38mm

ward_x1.jpg

1/80 @ f/9, 17mm

ward_x2.jpg

1/1250 @ f/4.5, 50mm

ward_x3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sup 'heads? Long time no 'case. I haven't had time for ...anything fun recently, and that includes H-C. I did manage to get out for a bit tonight and take a few shots of a local art installation, including this one:

4232094861_3295a90716_b.jpg

...and so we say good bye to 2009, and the decade that still never got a proper name with a shot of the final night of the "Shedding Light" art installation. I stood outside for for 2 1/2 hours taking long exposures of this barn and this was one of the last shots I took before I packed it in. No edits other than the removal of one dirt spot. I've got a bunch more shots to wade through, including some of a model standing in front of the barn, but right now it's time to go out and take pictures of the reveling drunks.

Yep, it's me, however fleetingly. A few more from the same series:

4236300963_761fd27a49_b.jpg

4237082094_0287e3d367_b.jpg

4235029117_1353a44a64_b.jpg

A somewhat gratuitous zoom burst, featuring the model who was present for some of the 2 1/2 hours I spent shooting the barn. I have a few more (normal) pictures with her in them that I'll get around to sifting and posting Real Soon Now. I used my camera's tungsten white balance preset, and found the results to be too yellow. I dug out my $4 Chinese Expodisc knockoff (one of the best invesments I've ever made TBH) and and exposed it in one of the beams of light. That's why the rest of the shots have such pure white light.

4235616513_0fa44ed40d_b.jpg

Not really an "art" shot, but it shows the barn, installation and sign describing it. The sky is that color because of the white balance setting I used and the massive amount of arc sodium light pollution courtesy of UMASS.

Of course, I have scores (if not hundreds) of other shots since I last visited H-C, but I don't have time to post any of them now. If'n you're curious, go here. Right now I have to go buy a bottle of Scotch for a party later.

knuckledragger-albums-smileys-picture232-happy-drunks.gif

I was wondering anyone here knows a good store/site/etc. for figuring out a resale value on used non-digital camera items (like A-gon for audio gears)? My wife's got a Canon EOS 3 with couple of lenses that she's thinking of selling since she hasn't used them in eons and we know very little about used camera market.

I was wondering anyone here knows a good store/site/etc. for figuring out a resale value on used non-digital camera items (like A-gon for audio gears)? My wife's got a Canon EOS 3 with couple of lenses that she's thinking of selling since she hasn't used them in eons and we know very little about used camera market.

Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

Used Equipment | B&H Photo Video

Here are some pics with the 70-200 2.8 IS. Some are with an old flash unit my brother lent me and some are without, shooting at 2.8 and 160, with an ISO of 1600. I probably mixed up some of them in terms of flash or not. I also used the sports setting for the pics with the flash and manual for those without flash (first time taking pics on M).

No flash and I was probably 100 feet away from the action:

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

Here are some more without flash, some of them I was significantly closer to the action:

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

These were closer, no flash:

IMG_3118.jpg

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

From the stands with flash:

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg