The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I have a longtime friend who lives in Vancouver. He used to make techno and do a "live PA" (that's techno-speak for dragging his synths and drum machines to the gig, vs. DJing with records or CDs.) Now he lives on a catamaran and plays the mandolin. Last week he got woken up by a hovercraft going past his cat, and took this pic:

dysi89.jpg

Sometimes I'm glad I know people as crazy as him. ;D

No, I did NOT ask him if it was full of eels.

Knuckledragger ... the IR shots are beautiful. Amazing how seeing familiar scenes though a different filter gives new, interesting perspective. Almost makes me want to pick up an old body and convert it to IR just for the fun of it. Or I guess I could get some IR film for the old Spotmatic or Nikon F I have sitting in my drawer.

I have a new stove arriving @ 0900 tomorrow, so I should be sleeping right now. Instead, I'm editing a few photos. FML.

4419447398_246a4f2347_b.jpg

That laser in the center is the one that hit me in the eye.

4418588527_b66ae2a9f6_b.jpg

DJ Redshift at 10 after 8 the following morning, having just disgorged a fresh bottle of Grey Goose from his freezer.

4418688931_881e2c487a_b.jpg

Katherine, the resident dancer for the local dnb night. She was a resident at the Limelight, in 1992. Yep, she's 41.

More later. Probably.

Friends, I need some inspiration. My wonderful camera has just sat in its case for weeks on end now, as I'm having a hard time hauling myself away from work and life to enjoy something beautiful.

What do you guys do when you're in a creative rut, aside from psychotropic chemicals?

Friends, I need some inspiration. My wonderful camera has just sat in its case for weeks on end now, as I'm having a hard time hauling myself away from work and life to enjoy something beautiful.

What do you guys do when you're in a creative rut, aside from psychotropic chemicals?

Go for a walk. Pick a place you haven't been but have heard about, a trail you've been meaning to explore, or just one that you haven't been on in a while. Bring the camera and probably some kind of inspiration will strike, but if it doesn't, fresh air and scenery will go a long way to helping you out of that in-a-rut feeling.

#1 Never listen to aerius. #2, this may not apply to you, but the weather here is gorgeous today, and I'm about to take a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 out of the fridge and load it into my Rebel K2. If you don't have V50 and a film SLR lying around, get a cheap point & shoot (the dollar store me sells truly horrid film cameras, I've had a lot of fun with them) and whatever cheap print film you can find. Leave your digital camera at home. Film is much more demanding than digital, and much more rewarding. This is hardly the only technique for vitalizing one's creativity, but it works for me. Conversely, my friend Eddy has been shooting 4x5" large format B&W film for years, and just got a PowerShot G11. He's having a blast with the near infinite depth of field it provides (what large format photographers have to go through to get decent DoF is insane.)

Unrelated:

29y156h.jpg

WAT.

Thanks. The first cat is mine while the dog and the white cat are my family's - took their pics while visiting them this past weekend. I've been wanting to take the camera out and about but the weather around here hasn't cooperated of late, and when it's been nice enough, I've been stuck inside for one reason or another. :(