can you share your knowledge of Grado PS1?

shinichi

I'll take a stab at this. I have limited experience with the RS1s which is what I think you meant, but the two amps I liked with the RS1s were the EC/SS and the Gilmore Lite.

That's it, you have exceeded the limit of my RS1 experience. Good luck Shin and welcome to Head Case.

気違いへようこそ

thanks for your sharing experience

after trying to compare between the bowl and flat earpad for ps1

i can tell that the flat will make the sound become wider . However, the bass become stronger

for the bowl, the sound become less wide and smaller

i try to listen to ps1 without using any earpad and was impressed at the sound.

Nice soundstage and bass. Maybe from now , i should use a naked ps1 ;D;D

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, flats and bowls have their role on the PS-1, but I like better the bowls. I find tonality more accurate and bass a bit less prominent with the bowls. Also the stage for my ears is a bit wider than with flats. However metal and any hard rock sounds so much "you're there and we're shaking your guts" that I can understand metal fans prefer them.

Rgrds

I swapped between bowls and flats on the PS1 at a recent meet off the Zana Deux. I preferred the flats myself but could see how some might prefer bowls. The flats made the bass thicker and more fun. :)

But for the cost of either pads, you owe it to yourself to own both of course. It's like an ultra-cheap way to get two sounds out of almost any Grado.

I have almost no amp experience with the PS1, having heard it only two times (first out of the Cayin HA-1A in 2006, and last month out of the Zana Deux) but matching should definitely be done carefully. I think it'd be more cost effective to pair with a tube amp since tubes can be easily rolled to tweak the sound, unless you have the time & budget necessary to experiment with solid-states.

I use a PS-1 with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with a Zana Deux. I prefer bowl pads. Using flat pads can be good with some types of music such as fast-paced dance music or electronica, but I think the flats have a bit too much bass slam and thump. Bass quantity using the bowl pads is not exactly lacking.

I've found that tube rolling the 6SL7 for the PS-1 can be a bit tricky. I generally like a more fuller-bodied and warmer sound for the PS-1 as well as other Grados, but some tubes that have good body and warmth such as the Mullard CV569 can also make it seem too bass-heavy. I've settled on using Sylvania VT229 for the PS-1.

My PS-1 is balanced but I don't have a balanced amp yet.