want to upgrade my source??

shinichi

hi,

right now my main source is a PC

I want to buy a good used CD player which can play mp3 disks because most of my song are mp3 files. I know you may recommend me to use flossless files but I mainly download music from internet so flossless files are hard to find

cables i have had so far are virtual dynamics digital RCA and analog RCA

my budget will be around 4k

when you recommend me the player, can you also give me a good price tag for it? which brand should i consider?

thanks for your time

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's under 4k, innit? Shinichi -- does your computer have a digital out, or do you need to get that, too? I wonder how bad a mismatch a M-Audio Transit would be with an Audio Aero Capitole?

Or is there another reason you'd prefer to separate it from your listening rig? Which is fine, just trying to get some details so we can give good advice.

*cough* squeezebox *cough*

Or you can do what a friend of mine did. He found an old abandoned beverage refrigerator and kept his computer in it. It didn't overheat and you couldn't hear the fans.

Never be in the same room with the computer, it makes life much easier.

I guess that the reefer solution qualifies as not being in the same room.

Or you can do what a friend of mine did. He found an old abandoned beverage refrigerator and kept his computer in it. It didn't overheat and you couldn't hear the fans.

Well, you would hear the refrigerator instead.

Never be in the same room with the computer, it makes life much easier.

I wish I had that option =P

well, the AA Prima SE i linked is basically a Capitole Mk II SE without the CD transport (and the pretty Capitole faceplate), and that is a smoking, smoking deal. it would be slightly better than my standard Mk II, in theory (never heard an SE).

i bet the M-Audio would be just fine, as long as it gives a pit perfect output. the Prima DAC would be a great match with the active speakers he seems to want, as it also includes a very nice preamp.

is this DAC better than the bel canto DAC3 or benchmark DAC1?

if i buy this one, then i will connect it to my digital output on my soundcard???.

It seems like my soundcard will degrade the sound of the DAC, RIGHT?

No, the refrigerator was dead and not running. It was just an insulated box, i.e. just a small room in which to put the computer.

Cool :D

if i buy this one, then i will connect it to my digital output on my soundcard.

It seems like my soundcard will degrade the sound of the DAC, RIGHT?

You have a decent soundcard there, so it should make for a half-decent transport at least, especially if you use it with an external DAC which has a wordclock output.

That soundcard could be competitive with CD players in the same price range.

If you are not going to play anything better than downloaded MP3's (Almost always low bitrate) then you are wasting your money. They sound like shit so all you're going to end up with is better sounding shit.

MP3s are by no means the end all of music formats but they aren't THAT bad =P But getting a CDP just for MP3s doesn't make any sense at all.

MP3s are by no means the end all of music formats but they aren't THAT bad ...

Well they do not have to be that bad but ...

.... I know you may recommend me to use flossless files but I mainly download music from internet so flossless files are hard to find

Most of the dreck "available for download on the internet" is that bad. If the expectation is that the music should be free and quality doesn't matter then just download a CDP.

That sounds like a terrible idea -- you do know that heat is bad for computer's internals, right? Erm... I mean, your friend knows this, right?

Yes, he's a computer nerd's computer nerd. I don't remember if the door was open or not. However, he measured temperatures and heat was never a problem.

Before he went this route, he mounted his motherboard on his wall. That made it easy to access boards, etc. so he could change/hack them. He's the brightest engineer I've ever met.

Edipis you are getting a little bit militant with the Audio Aero gear. I mean what reasoning are you using that the Prima is a better value than the Cambridge 840c?

The ANAGRAM tech that you are so frothy over has a better and more modern implementation in the Cambridge as it has a dac chip that is actually designed for that shit.

Whoo tubed output stage?

The Audio Aero stuff sounds good and is a solid recommendation, but there is other good stuff out there and AA isn't always going to be hands down best in all price brackets.

Don't be the Trose of Audio Aero or even the Jamato.