Graduation Day - The Tubelab Simple SE project begins...

n_maher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work! Since this project looks to be done for now, how does a Red Light District sound for your next project?;D

Thanks guys!

The Red Light does indeed look interesting but I'm not sure where I'm headed with my next project. I've got at least one big casework job to do (Buffalo DAC) before I really should be thinking about anything new. And then there is the pile of beta22 boards and parts that I should probably do something with...

• 1 month later...

Alan,

I think that I posted the part number for those grommets in this thread, I'll look. Otherwise they are from McMaster Carr and can be found by searching for "vibration control grommets". I use them for mounting trafos and chokes because I don't care for metal to metal connections but they really are only required for the PS iron (if you're concerned about vibes). I realize that they end up requiring a bit more wiring (safety grounds for all the isolated components) but hey, you can't get something for nothing. And I use the standard black grommets to provide protection for wires that run through the chassis so anywhere you see one of those there's a wire chase from the component to the circuit below.

And thanks for the kind words, I'm enjoying the SimpleSE right now. :)

• 2 months later...

Since I had to break down the speaker rig anyway I decided it was time to update this thread with the tweaks that I'd done to the SImple chassis. Basically I finally managed to make some "feet" for the bottom of the chassis. They are semi-temporary but certainly do the job for now.

111896879.jpg

111896881.jpg

111896883.jpg

111896885.jpg

Why is that? They certainly look good enough to be permanant, or do you have other plans?
My drill press is out on loan so the counter sinks are not done very well and the boards were slightly damaged so I'll probably replace them at some point. The clamping mechanism that holds them in place could be better implemented as well. I just wanted something to finish it off for now.

Mmmmm, Cherry!

Mmmmm indeed, even with a mediocre finishing job they look pretty tasty.

There's a nice drill press locally for sale this weekend for $200. I'm tempted. The problem is, if I go out there, I'm going to buy his $1200 table saw too.

How is that a problem? I mean a man can't have too many power tools, it's impossible.