Graduation Day - The Tubelab Simple SE project begins...

n_maher

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't say the winner is better really, just a bit more subdued so it made a better card. I love that picture and lobbied for it to be the card. There's a whole series of them with some pretty funny ones in it. I'll upload more, assuming the power stays on, the lights just started dancing again. And not in a "damn that was some good whiskey" type of way.

You guys are too much, between the Lily and amp compliments it's enough to make a guy blush. :-[

Last night I got the last of the chassis mounted parts installed. The lights only dimmed 3 times. Given the steady-state of the power last night I'll probably shelve the Simple until at least the weekend to concentrate on other things that need immediate attention, namely a couple of beta22's. :)

I had a profoundly crappy day at work and as such when I got home it seemed ill-advised to work on a project for someone else that could end up being thrown and relative high speed into a wall. So, with those qualifications the Simple was about the only thing heavy enough to prevent hurling. I set about wiring it up in simple triode mode which took about 2hrs. About 10 minutes ago I flicked the switch and it's still here, I'm still here, and Joanna Newsome sounds pretty outstanding. Pics tomorrow, although they're pretty boring unless you like internal wiring shots.

I had a profoundly crappy day at work and as such when I got home it seemed ill-advised to work on a project for someone else that could end up being thrown and relative high speed into a wall. So, with those qualifications the Simple was about the only thing heavy enough to prevent hurling. I set about wiring it up in simple triode mode which took about 2hrs. About 10 minutes ago I flicked the switch and it's still here, I'm still here, and Joanna Newsome sounds pretty outstanding. Pics tomorrow, although they're pretty boring unless you like internal wiring shots.

I fucking LOVE internal wiring shots, post away!

You are becoming a god of DIY round hole cutter techs, dood.

FIFY

Semi Finished Overall

107264486.jpg

Upskirt Overall

107264487.jpg

Ground Central

107264488.jpg

Shielded Input Wiring

107264489.jpg

The "No Electrolytics Zone"

107264490.jpg

Still need to wire up the pot but that can wait. Also, need to figure out if I'm just going to set it and forget it on the recommended output setting (cathode feedback, ultralinear mode) or if I want the hassle of switched settings for both. That too can wait until next year.

Wow that is beautiful! I have no idea what I am looking at but I certainly appreciate well laid out and clean work. Perhaps if you hadn't become a DIY fiend you could have become a thoracic surgeon, in another life. Then instead of drilling holes though metal cases you could be ..... oh never mind

I like the gray/black contrast - does the paint you're using give you hammered feel as well as the looks?

Only if applied in a non-ventilated space. Honestly, I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to paint it unless I decide to temporarily heat one side of the garage so the paint can cure. I'm not really upset with the way it looks right now, I just wished I'd taken a bit more care during fabrication so that I could have just left it as it sits with no concerns.

Thanks Haj, nothing like a tripod and 13 second exposure to make tube glow shots properly. And yes, it is essentially an integrated amp with an alps RK27 on the front end. I was originally going to use the PEK potentiometer that I had for this project but it didn't fit in the chassis after I'd installed the pcb. Woops!