Sourceless

Yikes

I shipped the player UPS ground last Wednesday, so the repair facility will not receive it until this Wednesday. I got tired of paying for express shipping. I?m up to well over two hundred dollars in shipping alone. At this point I?m not terribly optimistic. :'(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My temporary digital source is:

Redbook - Pioneer DV-563a digital out via Siltech Golden Ridge SPDIF to my EAD DSP-7000 MKII

SACD and DVD-A ? Just the 563a. It depends on the disc whether I listen to the SACD layer or the CD layer.

The EAD is still a decent sounding DAC. It basically does little to offend.

I have no idea what I?ll do if my Exemplar 3910 can?t be fixed. I have a lot of SACD?s and I have over 30 DVD-A?s, so really want a combi-player, I suppose that I could loose DVD-A playback, since it is essentially a dead format.

To top it off I don?t have the money for a new budget player, much less a high-end/high-performance player.

I wouldn't have much faith in them to get it fixed this time either, I really think there must be something else wrong with the player. Is there any chance you get John to take out all the parts/mods that he does? At least if thats possible you could harrass Denon into giving you a brand new 3910 and then let John do his work on that. Given I have no idea how much John would charge for that. But it seems like a better option than just hoping they'll get the player fixed this time.

The repair facility called. They said the transport checks out fine. They claimed to hear distortion from the tubed output, but the Denon output is unaffected. Fuck I?m so pissed that I forgot about the Denon output section :mikey1:. The ultimate troubleshooting technique, if the Denon output is good then it has to be the Exemplar output section. My forgetting to test this is almost as bad as when someone sends in a piece for being dead when in reality it was just the mute button.

So the player is now on its way to Exemplar audio. I?ve begun to shop for a replacement player. The list of possibilities is limited by my need for a universal player. I could loose the DVD-A, but I must have SACD, CD and DVD playback.

We?ll see, but I should know what?s going to happen within a couple of weeks.

I?ve begun to shop for a replacement player. The list of possibilities is limited by my need for a universal player. I could loose the DVD-A, but I must have SACD, CD and DVD playback.
I've been tempted to try this, as one of the guys is local. They also do a Toshiba-based universal, but play it down. They like the Sony better. Try searching on "JLTi".

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm your anguish sustains me. :P

Biggie.

Biggie, Bad news dude, I got my player back, and it is working wonderfully. Sounds better than ever. John at Exemplar installed all the latest updates.

So my system is rocking. Work also is progressing on my Custom Exemplar headphone amp.

That's a great news, Ethan. Glad to hear you finally have your player back and running.

On a unrelated note, my mechanic did me a favor and we did eventually work out a deal - which means I probably didn't have to sell the 701's. I hate my car. Oh well, I'll probably grab some IEM's with the 701 sale money.

• 3 weeks later...

My Exemplar 3910 lasted thru the Boston meet, however it is now going back again. From everybody that I have spoken to the Exemplar modded Denon 3910 has been a very reliable design. Mine is really the only problem that anyone has heard of. I don?t know whether I should feel good or bad about that.

To say that I am disheartened is an extreme understatement.

:( :( :(

Really weird symptoms, a loud hiss (Almost like tube rush) starts as soon as an SACD initializes, however this hiss is not present on Redbook discs.

I?m now waiting on some foam that I ordered. The stock box is trash, and the stock Styrofoam is long since useless. I tried pricing professional travel/shipping cases, but they start at well over $200 including foam. The pro case that I?d get if I had the funds sells for close to $400. So I ordered appropriately sized boxes and foam so that I can ship safely.

This will be the last time in for service. If it comes back broken I?ll be giving it a Viking funeral.

Really weird symptoms, a loud hiss (Almost like tube rush) starts as soon as an SACD initializes, however this hiss is not present on Redbook discs.

Hmmm... do you have the latest firmware 6609-E installed?

Not sure if you have the same problem I noticed, but I seem to recall some SACD hiss when connecting via D-Link to my 3805 receiver when I first upgraded to 6609-B firmware, but have not heard that lately, (I have the 6609-E region free).

Original firmware. I use the player exclusively for music playback and wouldn't use the iLink.

From what I have read firmware updates have been for the iLink and some DVD movie playback issues. With what little DVD movies use the player sees there has not been an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I got word today that a problem was finally found with my player. The problem was repeatable. I have been told that the problem has been fixed. It was not the Exemplar mods causing the problem. Apparently when the Denon repair shop installed the new drive they damaged (Folded a corner) of a ribbon cable. The player is burning in over the weekend.

Next week the player will be upgraded with Mr. Tuckers latest and greatest updates.

I?m sorry, but it looks like those of you looking forward to a Viking funeral are going to be disappointed. :dance:

Apparently when the Denon repair shop installed the new drive they damaged (Folded a corner) of a ribbon cable. The player is burning in over the weekend.

Are they going to reimburse all the shipping costs that you've laid out?!?!?

I'm glad to hear that a problem was found and looking forward to only hearing good things about this source in the future.