Sourceless

Yikes

Are they going to reimburse all the shipping costs that you've laid out?!?!?

You're kidding right?

The Denon authorized repair shop did not find the problem, exemplar audio did. I seriously doubt that they will take someone else?s word for it. This week (After the player has been running for awhile with no problems) I?m going to call the manager/owner to express my displeasure.

I?m just looking forward to having my player back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my player back on Wednesday. I left work early to rush home and hook it up?

It still has the exact same problem. I shipped it back again, for the last time. To say that I am discouraged is an understatement. This is the 7th or possibly the 8th time in for repair. A couple of times it went express, the rest it shipped ground. At this point I am up to around $400 for shipping alone, plus the $200 the initial ?repair? cost. 7 months, Fuck!

JT at Exemplar thinks that there must be a crack in a circuit board that periodically causes the problem. It?s definitely the Denon circuitry that?s malfunctioning. The Denon repair shop has one last chance to fix the problem. If I get the unit back and it still has a problem the unit will be replaced. We are discussing that option right now.

At this point I sort of feel about my player the way I have always felt about a car or motorcycle that has been in an accident. It may be ?repaired?, but I don?t want to drive/ride it any longer. The truth is that I am numb concerning the entire experience. I?m beyond being mad or disappointed, I just want it to be over.

• 1 month later...

As the source turns. After many weeks on the bench and several issues ?repaired? my player is on its way back to me. This will be the last trip, either it?s fixed or I?ll be given a new player.

Either way it?ll be over. It?s been an eight-month horror story. The problems that were repaired were in the Denon portion of the player. John Tucker has been nothing but professional. He has spent countless hours on problems that weren?t his fault. I cannot imagine any other company that modifies player exerting the same effort.

The same cannot be said of the Denon authorized repair shop. They basically blamed Exemplar Audio for the problems. Between delays for parts, installing defective parts, and failing to locate problems and returning the player stating ?No Trouble Found? they were grossly incompetent. I?ll be attempting to get some form of compensation from them, but I don?t hold out much hope of succeeding. At least I?ll write to Denon USA to complain.

My player will be here Wednesday. My fingers are crossed.

Ethan,

I'm sorry to hear about your experiece with Denon Service, but after the experience with my DVM-3700 I wish I could say I was surprised. I was without mine for over 8 months, and the icing on the cake was after sending it out for the 3rd time, it came back with "No Problem Found." The store manager felt bad and cut me a deal on a DVD-2910, but I sold it quickly. It's truely disappointing for me because their players truely hit a sweet spot to my ear. I love their ALPHA processor, but I will likely never buy another Denon piece.

I hope things come back in good working order for you...

Ian

This is actually my fourth or fifth Denon player. I?ve only needed service once before, and it was painless. This is my first service since D&M holdings acquired Denon. To be fair it was not Denon that performed the service but a Denon ?Authorized? service center. I sent the player to a service center that was rumored to be good with and experienced with modified units.

I believe that it was primarily bad luck. The transport failed. I shipped it out (1). They replaced the transport (long delay for parts) and shipped it back (2). The replacement transport was defective, so I shipped it back (3). After another parts delay they replaced the transport and shipped the unit back to me (4). I received the unit back and the transport worked, but it had developed a new problem, back it went (5). The DAS (Denon Authorized Service) claims ?no problem found?. I had them ship the unit to Exemplar (6). Exemplar tested the unit and also found NPF, and shipped it back to me (7). With the first disc it had the exact same problem. I then ship the player back to the DAS ( 8 ) Not surprisingly this time a transformer broke free and damaged the Exemplar circuits. The DAS claims to find no problem with the Denon circuitry. I have them ship the player to Exemplar (9). Exemplar repairs their circuitry and finds one problem with the Denon section (A misaligned ribbon cable). They then run the player for over a week with no problems observed. Exemplar ships it back to me (10). I get the player and it immediately has the same problem. I purchase high quality foam and boxes to replace the trashed factory box and packing. I ship the unit to Exemplar (11). It?s been on their bench for three weeks. They found several components where it appears that all of the vibrations from shipping damaged solder joints and component leads. They have repaired the problems. They have burned the player and shaken it in an effort to assure no further problems. Exemplar shipped it back to me (12). I?ll report if it?s fixed.

FYI ? I believe that the above account has omitted one trip to the DAS, but I?m not positive.

Looking at the number of times the units has been shipped is it really surprising that it has had problems? The truth is that factory packing is designed to protect the units for at most 3 or 4 shipping iterations. Factory to warehouse (1), Warehouse to dealer (Exemplar) (2), Dealer to Me (3), Me to DAS (4), DAS to Me (5) (Bad replacement part), Me to DAS (6), DAS to me (with working transport) (7) ? And it?s shocking :o that by this point the player had developed additional issues?

Sorry about the long post. I wonder if anyone even reads the entire thing ;D

The great thing is that my player has now earned a free trip anywhere with UPS frequent shipping points :dance:

Guest sacd lover

This is actually my fourth or fifth Denon player. I?ve only needed service once before, and it was painless. This is my first service since D&M holdings acquired Denon. To be fair it was not Denon that performed the service but a Denon ?Authorized? service center. I sent the player to a service center that was rumored to be good with and experienced with modified units.

I believe that it was primarily bad luck. The transport failed. I shipped it out (1). They replaced the transport (long delay for parts) and shipped it back (2). The replacement transport was defective, so I shipped it back (3). After another parts delay they replaced the transport and shipped the unit back to me (4). I received the unit back and the transport worked, but it had developed a new problem, back it went (5). The DAS (Denon Authorized Service) claims ?no problem found?. I had them ship the unit to Exemplar (6). Exemplar tested the unit and also found NPF, and shipped it back to me (7). With the first disc it had the exact same problem. I then ship the player back to the DAS ( 8 ) Not surprisingly this time a transformer broke free and damaged the Exemplar circuits. The DAS claims to find no problem with the Denon circuitry. I have them ship the player to Exemplar (9). Exemplar repairs their circuitry and finds one problem with the Denon section (A misaligned ribbon cable). They then run the player for over a week with no problems observed. Exemplar ships it back to me (10). I get the player and it immediately has the same problem. I purchase high quality foam and boxes to replace the trashed factory box and packing. I ship the unit to Exemplar (11). It?s been on their bench for three weeks. They found several components where it appears that all of the vibrations from shipping damaged solder joints and component leads. They have repaired the problems. They have burned the player and shaken it in an effort to assure no further problems. Exemplar shipped it back to me (12). I?ll report if it?s fixed.

FYI ? I believe that the above account has omitted one trip to the DAS, but I?m not positive.

Looking at the number of times the units has been shipped is it really surprising that it has had problems? The truth is that factory packing is designed to protect the units for at most 3 or 4 shipping iterations. Factory to warehouse (1), Warehouse to dealer (Exemplar) (2), Dealer to Me (3), Me to DAS (4), DAS to Me (5) (Bad replacement part), Me to DAS (6), DAS to me (with working transport) (7) ? And it?s shocking :o that by this point the player had developed additional issues?

Sorry about the long post. I wonder if anyone even reads the entire thing ;D

The great thing is that my player has now earned a free trip anywhere with UPS frequent shipping points :dance:

You are far more patient man than I. Is there an audio "lemon law" ?

You are far more patient man than I. Is there an audio "lemon law" ?

I believe that Lemon laws tend to be State Regulated. This means that if you purchased in another State enforcement and using such laws are problematic. The other thing is that Denon does not warranty modified units. Denon?s warranty clearly excludes modified units. I question the veracity of those claiming to have forced major manufacturers into honoring warranties after modifications have been performed (If said warranties are written as Denon?s is). Federal warranty law allows such exclusions if they are specifically stated in the published warranty, which is the case with the Denon warranty.

If I threatened Denon with a lawsuit they may have given me a new unit. If they did so they would be doing it to avoid a nuisance lawsuit, not because my threat had legal merit.

Exemplar provides the warranty. My unit had just passed the warranty period when the problem cropped up. At what point do you give up with a $6000 player?

I just wonder why you didn't get a new player and have exemplar transfer all of their parts over to the new player? If you factor in all the shipping you've done it would have saved you money by now.

Not really. I've paid for shipping it 7 or 8 times, twice overnight @ $70 each and lets say 6 times @ $40 each = $380 in shipping. Plus the DAS repair price of $160 means that I am out about $540 at the outside I'm out maybe $600. It's not the money that bothers me, it's the 8+ months without my primary source.

God Damn! It?s fucking great to have my reference system back up and running. The player appears to be working flawlessly. I had also sent in my amp for upgrading. So my Exemplar OTL/32 has been upgraded with new Caps and my 3910 has also received new caps. The combination sounds so fucking good, I?m amazed.

I?m ecstatic with the sound. My fingers are crossed.