kirkwall

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@lostonetr

Which one?

Or both? ;D

If I were living near you, I'd let you test mine out for a few days, but unfortunately I live 1/2 way around the world from where you are... so... :palm:

@kirkwall, I'm listening to my JPNs now, and I was messing around with Foobar, I just updated from the previous version to .9.9.5 and turned Kernel Streaming on as well as activated the resampler in Ultra mode @ 96000Hz. Made an audible difference. Certainly clears up the "congestion" and adds more energy/separation in the upper regions. Give it a try. :D

Yeah, mess about with the resampler and KS. Its easy to use KS with the latest version of Foobar. See if it makes a difference in your system.

I messed with these options a long time ago with my lower end cans, I didn't notice any difference before, so I left it at default. But with my W11jpns, I do notice a difference. Its gonna be Ultra mode @ 96000Hz with KS from now on for me. It might slow your PC down a little though if the CPU ain't up to the task. ;)

That was the main reason I didn't use it with my laptop. It used to get very hot and the fan would sing along too... :o

Now that I do most of my listening from the desktop, it not a problem anymore. ;)

I leave it on Asio usually (though it might be the fake asio that is really just KS) with my M-Audio Transit. Need to look into a different way though...every now and then I get a little blip in sound-- If I jump back a few seconds and replay, it ain't there. So it isn't the music, something's happening elsewhere, and I believe it's the Transit.

@kirkwall, I'm listening to my JPNs now, and I was messing around with Foobar, I just updated from the previous version to .9.9.5 and turned Kernel Streaming on as well as activated the resampler in Ultra mode @ 96000Hz. Made an audible difference. Certainly clears up the "congestion" and adds more energy/separation in the upper regions. Give it a try. :D

Thanks very much for the tip. I use a MacBook w/ iTunes but will set it to 24/96 and see how that works. Even through the iPod these are incredibly musical. I have found over the past day or so that I'm spending less time thinking about the presentational oddities, the various roll-offs and what seems to be a bit of extra decay round the notes, and more time just listening. I have a pair of the first Quad dynamics, the 10Ls, and these W10s remind me of those. You don't get every last nuance of the recording but you get all of the music. They're great fun.

best,

k

@lostonetr, I used to have a similar blip problem with my D1. Turned out to be the USB cable. It was very screwy. I changed to the one that came with my Canon camera and it solved the problem. :palm:

I dunno if the problem you're having is the same problem or not, but I thought I'd just mention that anyway, just in case. ;)

Maybe increasing the fubar buffer might help? :confused:

@kirkwal, your welcome. Do post back if changing the settings makes any difference since you're using a macbook.

You don't get every last nuance of the recording but you get all of the music. They're great fun.

Exactly the reason why I love my ES7 and W11jpn. That pretty much sums it up. :cool:

@lostonetr, I used to have a similar blip problem with my D1. Turned out to be the USB cable. It was very screwy. I changed to the one that came with my Canon camera and it solved the problem. :palm:

I dunno if the problem you're having is the same problem or not, but I thought I'd just mention that anyway, just in case. ;)

Hey wrecked, I'll definitely check on that. Thanks for the tip. The blip is quite hard to describe..almost like a pop...always happens on the right side of the audio for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey wrecked, I'll definitely check on that. Thanks for the tip. The blip is quite hard to describe..almost like a pop...always happens on the right side of the audio for me.

It's weird that it's always on the right side. :confused:

Do you use wireless (802.11a/b/g)? I used to have a Transit, and I have a Emu 0404 USB now. For both of them, I got the blips/pops when I have my laptop wireless card activated. Both worked fine if I disabled my wireless card.

I had the same problem, but to a lesser degree, with the Apogee MiniDAC USB. The only USB soundcards/DACs/transports I've used that are completely blip-free all use the PCM2704 for the USB interface.

Either way, increasing Foobar and Transit ASIO buffers might help a little bit.