Long USB cable for Pico

elnero

I'd like to get a longer USB cable for my Pico so that I can sit on a couch probably about 10 to 15 feet away from where my computer is. I know I could get a headphone extension cable but I like to be able to control the volume and a longer USB cable would minimize the extra connections an extension would add to the mix. So my questions are, is there a maximum length for USB? If a longer cable is possible does anyone know where to get them in such a length because they're not available round these parts?

USB Mini-B to be exact. ;) So you'll still need an A to Mini-B cable/adapter if using those extenders/repeaters. Course the Pico comes with one.

180px-Types-usb.svg.png

As for sound quality issues I doubt it as it's just transporting/repeating a digital signal (which should be better than long analog cables). Something could go wrong along the way, but it should be a bit-perfect transmission (they are for computer files after all). There are of course bling-bling USB cables for audiophiles with too much disposable income.

Did you get a cable with it? If so it's an A-Mini B cable. If not you should be able to pick one up from a local computer shop. Or put another way - did you ever connect the Pico to a computer? If so you have one somewhere. ;)

I thought you meant an adapter not the cable itself. :P

I was thinking of it in terms of the extender plugging on to the end of cable therefore I'd need a standard USB cable for the initial cable, then the extension with mini end but they don't seem to make those.

will it make my printer work better?

Makes it print moar!!!! On a more serious note I do like the RSA :eek: cables and while this seems simply an idiotic cable they are just responding to market demands. We all know how audiophiles are with their stock cables and it can't be good unless it has an external PSU and a zebra pattern on the techflex. :rolleyes:

Increases the microDPI previously hidden from you. Just wtf on that usb cable...

I wonder if using a 20-25ft usb cable was the cause of some printer issues I had in the past. Can't really be sure since every one of my HP printers pretty much die after 1-2 years. Though this 3rd or 4th one has been going for a bit.

I've successfully extended my Pico by over 50 feet using a Cat5 USB extender. It didn't work unless I used a Cat5e rated cable though, I guess the signal degrades too much otherwise. Cat5 USB extenders work quite far, most can go up to 100-150 feet without amplification, but I'm not sure if it would work with the Pico at that length, unless you use very high quality cable. My home is wired up with Belden Cat6e cabling, which is total overkill, but I don't have to worry about any significant signal loss.

-Ed