sandal-case

guzziguy

Here's something new for HC. I love to wear sandals. For the last 10 years or so, I've been very happy with Birkenstocks. Recently though, I've started suffering from shin splints even though I've been wearing Birkenstock sandals. This is a basic version with no cushioning and I think that the lack of cushioning is the problem.

So can anybody recommend nice, supportive (I have a high arch) sandals? There are enough geeks (like me) here so I'm hoping to get some excellent responses. :cool:

Here's something new for HC. I love to wear sandals. For the last 10 years or so, I've been very happy with Birkenstocks. Recently though, I've started suffering from shin splints even though I've been wearing Birkenstock sandals. This is a basic version with no cushioning and I think that the lack of cushioning is the problem.

So can anybody recommend nice, supportive (I have a high arch) sandals? There are enough geeks (like me) here so I'm hoping to get some excellent responses. :cool:

ya mean sandal-case?

thread title appropriately changed.

I was just about to ask someone to change it to "sandal-fi" when I read your message. Thanks, but I still see "sandal-case". Could you check it again please?

I used to wear Teva's almost exclusively. About 4 years ago I switched to these:

Gear-Shoes.jpg

Keen Newport H2's and haven't looked back since.

I'll look into these. I prefer not to have a heel strap, but they probably make a model without one.

birks are pretty cushioned. Birk insoles are how I made it through drill sergeant school

Actually, the basic birks have almost no cushioning at all, just the cork and it really doesn't give much. They now have a cushioned version and, I just saw, a version for high arches. I hope to check both of these out.

I liked the cork, always felt appropriately cushioned to me

It used to feel OK to me, if slightly hard. It's possible that my Birks are too old and have compressed. Of course, it just may be that my joints are too old and also have compressed. :( Unfortunately, there is no longer a store in SB that stocks Birks so it will be hard for me to test a different pair.

I used to wear Teva's almost exclusively. About 4 years ago I switched to these:

Gear-Shoes.jpg

Keen Newport H2's and haven't looked back since.

I was out trying various Teva, Merrill, Keen, Mephisto and other sandals. I liked the Keen sandals the best. So I'll probably buy a pair. Unfortunately, nobody has any Keen sliders to try. So I'll either go with the Newport H2 or Venice H2. The Venice appears to have more open uppers on the same soul. Has anybody tried the Venice? Jim?

I found a cheap Keen slider, if they have your size. REI is selling certain sizes and colors of Keen Arubas for an incredible price. My size is 9. They have 8.5 and 9.5. For the price, I figured I could take a chance on a 9.5.

REI Keen Aruba sale

Thanks Ken, just snagged myself a pair. Reksy they have them in 11.5 which might work, or you could step-up to the 14s :eek:

Thanks Ken, just snagged myself a pair. Reksy they have them in 11.5 which might work, or you could step-up to the 14s :eek:

You're welcome. How do you find the fit of the Newports? Is the specified smaller, correct or larger than what you expect? I went .5 size higher. Should I have gone .5 lower?

You're welcome. How do you find the fit of the Newports? Is the specified smaller, correct or larger than what you expect? I went .5 size higher. Should I have gone .5 lower?

The Newports seem to be right on target. I have them in a 10 and they fit just fine if slightly on the big side (which most size 10's are on me). I ordered the slides in 9.5 as that was the only size close to what I needed so we will see how that works out. For the price, it seemed well worth the risk.

After trying on several brands and models from each, I decided that I liked the Keen sandals the best. Since I shopped locally and was helped in all the stores, I bought locally. If I really like them, next time I can shop online and save some money. Anyway, here's what I got:

newporth2madderbrn.jpg

The color is called "madder brown". It's definitely a love it or hate it color. :P

After trying on several brands and models from each, I decided that I liked the Keen sandals the best. Since I shopped locally and was helped in all the stores, I bought locally. If I really like them, next time I can shop online and save some money. Anyway, here's what I got:

newporth2madderbrn.jpg

The color is called "madder brown". It's definitely a love it or hate it color. :P

Good choice. I like the color.