What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

This is fuckin' nuts, where the hell do I buy this?

edit: shit just found this blog.......some nutty Made in Japan stuff!!!!!

edit2: oooooooooo Marcus Miller doing some TASTY shit on Kadomatsu's "Hatsu Koi"

kadomatsu and yamashita had some pretty good shit!

went nuts when i discovered them a year ago, and went on an ebay frenzy :D

just got 5 kadomatsu albums in the mail, after two months wait and constant emails to an ebay seller faking illness.

still "waiting" for the 7 yamashita and anri albums he was supposed to send before he and his mother "got ill" :palm:

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got 5 kadomatsu albums in the mail, after two months wait and constant emails to an ebay seller faking illness.

still "waiting" for the 7 yamashita and anri albums he was supposed to send before he and his mother "got ill" :palm:

yipes. yeah i have been scouring for places to buy this shit and it all looks super sketchy..... but holy cow, all the kadomatsu and yamashita stuff i've heard so far is awesome!

Funky music :) I don't listen much to this kinda stuff, but some of Kazumi Watanabe's production on the 80's CD remind me of this. Crisp and punchy sound :P

One of the very first all digital recordings... in fact I think the only one that preceded it was Ry Cooder's _Get Rhythm_. I've always felt my CD copy sounds... uh, interesting but weird. Killer performances from top session cats on this one... some pretty good tunes as well. Fagen's best solo, I feel... also I prefer this to the last two SD albums... how's that MFSL rip?

(edit: i fuggin' love WB's two solo outings)

I'd fuggin' love to hear them! :)
I suspect this can be arranged...

You know how people talk about albums that are "tough to get into"? I rarely experience said phenomena... however, WB's first, _11 Tracks of Whack_, took *years* of repeated attempts to finally really click for me.

His recent effort, _Curcus Money_, is mostly good but has a couple of relative duds.... FANTASTIC sound.

I actually listened to Kazumi Watanabe in the 80's and early 90's.

I still listen to Kazumi Watanabe, but got hooked on his 80's stuff in the 90's :) All I am missing now are the very early 70's albums, unfortunately they are hard to find and expensive.

n.p. Spring Heel Jack - 68 Million Shades

s33215.jpg

One of the very first all digital recordings... in fact I think the only one that preceded it was Ry Cooder's _Get Rhythm_. I've always felt my CD copy sounds... uh, interesting but weird. Killer performances from top session cats on this one... some pretty good tunes as well. Fagen's best solo, I feel... also I prefer this to the last two SD albums... how's that MFSL rip?

(edit: i fuggin' love WB's two solo outings)

The rip sounds great to my ears. I dont recall any clipping while watching my Duets' meters either.

I'm a little curious what bit rate it was originally recorded at, if it was an all-digital recording. It would still make sense to do a high rez rip of vinyl of the analog, but it would be sort of like transcoding in a way, if the original was only 16bit.

I liked Donald Fagen's recent release alot when it first came out, but when I go back to it now, its got too much bass for me to really get into (compared to NF). Especially having heard nightfly so many times in the past year or two.

I have circus monkey, but I have yet to give it a serious listen for whatever reason.

The rip sounds great to my ears. I dont recall any clipping while watching my Duets' meters either.

I'm a little curious what bit rate it was originally recorded at, if it was an all-digital recording. It would still make sense to do a high rez rip of vinyl of the analog, but it would be sort of like transcoding in a way, if the original was only 16bit.

16 bit indeed... with a curious 50khz sampling rate. Early 3M digital machines... and no such thing as a 16 bit A/D converter at the time according to Roger Nichols.... they used a 12 bit and 4 bits of an 8 bit with gain ranging to get the full 16.......
I liked Donald Fagen's recent release alot when it first came out, but when I go back to it now, its got too much bass for me to really get into (compared to NF). Especially having heard nightfly so many times in the past year or two.
I found the first few tracks of _Morph the Cat_ kinda neat at first but it really wore out fast... and I never could get into the rest of the album. Fagen goes too far into cheese land for my taste... (see _Kamakiriad_...) Way too much bass indeed, it's fucking ridiculous and not enjoyable.
I have circus monkey, but I have yet to give it a serious listen for whatever reason.
Suggest you do... and give 11ToW a go as well, it's awesome...