What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title track with Mike Oldfield is one of my all-time favorites. Just hearing the word "downwind" gets that ...what is it, a xylophone? vibraphone? ...anyway, it gets that vibraphone riff stuck in my head.

I love the instrumental parts, but singing on this albums is just distracting. With this taken into account, as much as I love original Gong I have to admit this is very good stuff as well. Expresso II is a great more jazzy album in the same vibe that I like a lot. All these Glockenspiels, Timbales, Xylophones, Bells, Vibraphones and other percussions are way cool. :D

FNG (Fucken New Guy) here. Hope you folks don't mind me posting- I did read the warning for new registrees advising us to just lurk for awhile.

I've been getting into some recent reissues of 70's Afro-Jazz/Funk, from a fertile period of music development there as they incorporated US influences such as James Brown. E.g:

screamamazon_.jpg

And:

psychclassics_.jpg

Edited by howdydude
added another image

Various artists (Belle & Sebastian related) -- God Help the Girl

1705149_500x500.jpg

Amazon: "After the success of the most recent Belle And Sebastian album, "The Life Pursuit", band leader/singer/songwriter Stuart Murdoch decided to pursue his dream of writing a rock musical scored for female singers. After auditioning vocalists via Internet contests, he made his choices and, with all members of Belle And Sebastian backing him up, recorded this breathtaking record. It combines the strengths and feel of early Belle And Sebastian records in a broader musical palette, which draws equally on musicals, 60s girl groups, 80s indie, and most of all, classic pop."

Well, yeah...if you're going to ween us unto your presence by posting weird-ass shit...I think that'll be just fine...

Not sure if that refers to my recent music selections...I can say that African Scream Contest isn't quite what the title implies- there are some James Brownian screams here and there but that's about it..

Taking a broader view of "weird-ass shit" I could start submitting stuff like this, at the risk of wearing out my welcome before I even have my coat off

fatelvis.jpg

No, don't do that. Go back and read the welcome PM, this is one of the few places where it's not actually boiler-plate, and we actually expect you to read it.

OK DC no more pics like that one, sorry if you didn't find it entertaining. I obviously misinterpreted "weird ass shit".

Voltron: You think you know me well enough to call me a "failure" on the basis of two posts? You don't, but the fact that you think you do and feel entitled to pass judgment is intriguing. How old are you?

Anyway, I'm genuinely sorry if I walked on toes here. All I can say it that I did read the "welcome" PM. I've lurked and surfed around here for awhile. People have posted a huge range of different music in this thread, just trying to add something constructive to that. And I actually searched the FAQs for "inappropriate" before posting the pic. Based on the kind of humor I thought I detected here, I concluded it would be received in the spirit it was posted. As a joke. Guess not, I stand corrected...

Back on topic, here's an obscure but excellent later period Blakey & JM session, if anyone digs this sort of thing- band includes Woody Shaw:

buhainacoverbiggterart.jpg