What Do You Think Of My Sculptures?

Chekhonte

I like them, and if you had enough of them mounted on a wall they'd deaden a room quite effectively too.

That's an interesting point. Next quarter I'm going to make around 300 more so I'll have enough for a real installation. I'll take some SPL readings of the space before and after the installation goes up. Ceramic resonate quite a bit so I wonder if that will factor in to what wavelengths it deadens. When you tap them, they sound like a combination of metal and glass.

I'm applying for grants to afford enough clay for this project and I'm going to see how large I can make them. I have got the OK from the school to use their hydraulic hoist to lift up a few hundred pounds of clay to drop not to mention loading them into the kiln.

Have you a final title for your work?

Amicalement

As generic as it sounds I think it would be best to leave it untitled. I think that what the individual brings into it themselves is what makes them interesting. I don't want to taint that with a title that may influence them by shifting the focus away from what they make of it to what they think I am trying to say.

Knowing full well that it is your work, your expression, and your project I can't recommend naming it strongly enough.

Before I understood your intention, they were formless elephant buttholes. After I understood your intention they were something else entirely. I think I speak for most of us here when I say that a hint of your intention goes a long way.

Further out of field than whats been said thus far but when I saw them my thought was of old leather sofas that had imploded.

A curious texture effect, but I can't say that I find it aesthetically pleasing. A shot of it in some kind of context might change my mind. I also advocate a title. I'm often just as interested by the titles of artworks as in the piece itself.

they uncomfortably wed forms reminiscent of flesh and earth.

EDIT: they are non-representational.

This isn't bad for a title. I think a lot of people "got it" as soon as they read this. Contracted for correctness, but that's it: The uncomfortably wed non-representational forms reminiscent of flesh and earth -- I like the apparent contradiction.

Oh, and if you have any leftovers with bigger and rounder holes, I'd like to order two.

-- I like the apparent contradiction.

Oh, and if you have any leftovers with bigger and rounder holes, I'd like to order two.

I'm glad you caught that the two concepts are contradictory. What's even more interesting that they coexist in a single form but contradict each other. This is something that can only exist in art and music (namely scott walker)--in fact you can't even say it in words with out contradicting yourself yet they exist harmoniously not side by side or in the same work but in a single form. It really starts to ask questions about how we see. Questions that I haven't yet been able see clearly enough to ask.

As for your second statement, I'll give you a PM when I make more.