question about sony qualia 010

d_rayman

Hi Everyone

I need everyone's opinions. Right now I am considering the sony Qualia 010 and saw one popped up for sale on Head-Fi.org: Headphones, iPod earphones, portable audio, MP3 players, high-end audio . However, I really dont know how much the headphone is worth nowadays because it is really rarely appeared on the used market.

The trick is that the owner also wants to sell his M size headband .

Any opinions?

Many thanks

-3500-4500+ dollars. Last pair I know of that changed hands went for 3.8k and that is a medium size and not small size which is guaranteed to fit more people better (Thus be in higher demand) plus all those extras the seller wants to offload.

Of course the economy is in a rough patch and it is holiday season so a lot of people might be more interested in spending that money elsewhere. Good luck if you do go for it!

I have to caution against buying an 010 blindly because of how critical the fit is. If the fit is only slightly off, then all bets are off sonically, and you'll get the echoey, cavernous sound that has been described in many negative comments.

So, I'd say actually get your hands on a few pairs at a meet and listen firsthand. Then, you can see what size you'll need. It's an awful lot of money to gamble with in hopes that the size will be right (but then again maybe not so much money for you).

It sure is a nice headphone when everything is right, though.

in this economy cash is king I'd offer 3500 while these are great headphones prices north of 3000 pass my personal threshold for their value to me. I know other disagree and feel their value is higher, look out folks deflation is on the horizon. Also sometimes even with a good size fit headshape may be off as well I've seen people do odd things to get a good seal with these.

The SP headband while ridiculous in price (IMHO) fixes most fit issues.

of all the headphones out there, i'd really recommend listening to it first or at least don't pay so much that you have problems reselling it in case u don't like the sound.

Think face shape might also play a factor...depending on if you're round or angular, there can be gaps because the pads are leather with no cusioning.

I'd say that the Qualia is the most polarizing high-end headphone around. People either love it or hate it. It's definitely risky to buy a pair without listening first. BTW, what amplifier and source are you going to use with them? It's pretty much a waste of money unless the quality of the source and amp match the Qualias.

The Qualia 010 is the best damn headphone I've ever heard, ever since I first heard it last year. Now that I own one (and have finally achieved a proper fit too), I love it even more. It's the best combo of treble and speed that I've ever heard, nothing comes close. The AD2000 is almost as fast but its treble has nothing on the Qualia's. The treble is just so delicious on it, I'm practically feeding on it. It can be a bit harsh without proper fit on metallic sounds but once you have fit, it really is like everything snaps into place.

The one complaint I have about the Qualia is the general lack of bass quantity, at least in comparison to the AD2000. If the bass opens up in balanced mode (which I'm waiting to hear until my amp arrives), I definitely see myself selling off all my other dynamics - K701, AD2000, W5000, as the reasons I own all three of those would be negated by the balanced Qualia. (Well I still might want a full-size closed headphone tho...)

The Qualia 010 is the best damn headphone I've ever heard, ever since I first heard it last year. Now that I own one (and have finally achieved a proper fit too), I love it even more. It's the best combo of treble and speed that I've ever heard, nothing comes close. The AD2000 is almost as fast but its treble has nothing on the Qualia's. The treble is just so delicious on it, I'm practically feeding on it. It can be a bit harsh without proper fit on metallic sounds but once you have fit, it really is like everything snaps into place.

The one complaint I have about the Qualia is the general lack of bass quantity, at least in comparison to the AD2000. If the bass opens up in balanced mode (which I'm waiting to hear until my amp arrives), I definitely see myself selling off all my other dynamics - K701, AD2000, W5000, as the reasons I own all three of those would be negated by the balanced Qualia. (Well I still might want a full-size closed headphone tho...)

I've got $5 on the AD2k. And $3 on the W5k ;)