Monsoon Computer Speakers

jinp6301

Actually, NXT almost exclusively licensed their technology as far as I know (maybe they were some sort of subsidiary to one or the other? I dono):

Sonic Impact: link link

NEC: link

Toyota: link

Logitech: link

Lots more: link google

Obviously, they would come in a variety of qualities with that sort of (quantity) output. I don't have high hopes for the speakers built into the CD cases to sound any good, so the question was more along the lines of the higher end ones -- the $300 ones disguised as works of art, etc. Or if there were any manifestations that were any good.

I'm very curious about the Cyrus ones. (And I actually wrote to the company to find out who made that rack in that one picture.)

• 8 months later...

The only price I've seen is $900 MSRP, which is kind of a completely different price-range than the Monsoons/what I'm looking for.:P There's also very little info on them and it's hard to find a place to audition them. I'd probably shoehorn an MMG in my room at that point, even if it ended up sounding like crap. Thanks for the info, though.

The only price I've seen is $900 MSRP, which is kind of a completely different price-range than the Monsoons/what I'm looking for.:P There's also very little info on them and it's hard to find a place to audition them. I'd probably shoehorn an MMG in my room at that point, even if it ended up sounding like crap. Thanks for the info, though.

From the rumors the mini Maggies and sub weren't going to be budget pricing.

Yay, won me a pair of Monsoon MM-1000s on the bay (local). The seller mentions that one of the speakers distorts at "certain frequencies and volumes" - so what sort of repairs should I be prepared to do?

Sounds like it may be related to the adhesive problem mentioned in the threads, though I dunno what you can use to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the speakers, and the problem is a bit worse than I had anticipated. But then again it should be repairable; it looks like the problem is caused by the coating on the magnets peeling off, so all I need now is some L shaped wire to scrape the magnets... I hope.

The hiss is quite annoying though, but I can't complain since I got it for $30.

Little update, I've gotten rid of the buzzing after 2 hours of scraping and picking at the magnets with a pair of tweezers and a bent staple bullet, and they sound pretty good... once I ditched the amp that came with it at least (yes I would rather listen to the sats without any bass than to wire the sats to that POS).

Now I have a little problem; I like my bass but I don't like the sub. How do I replace it? The sats are supposed to be flat to 1000 Hz but they roll off quite quickly beyond that (Monsoon made it flat-ish to 250 Hz with EQ).

• 7 months later...
Anyone know any more info on the Magnepan desktop speakers? All news about them seems to have dropped off since CES.

+1 bump, no sign of them on the Magnepan website even today.

Just found this

Nearly unnoticed at the other end of the room were the mini-Maggies that JA wrote about in our 2009 CES report, finally ready to be shipped. These are essentially miniature MG3.6s, with a true ribbon tweeter and quasi-ribbon midrange and bass drivers, combined with a Magnepan woofer/subwoofer module to create a very compact three-piece system. I listened to both as a computer speaker and as a satellite/subwoofer system in a normal room layout. It works beautifully in both applications and will likely be priced in the $2k/pair region as well, which makes for an interesting question; in a smallish listening room like mine, which is the better approach, the quasi-ribbon 1.7 or the mini-Maggie 3-piece system?
Edited by LarsMarkelson