Group Build: Dynafet

luvdunhill

It would appear(if my eyes don't decieve me) that the two large caps(1000uF 50V on your Mouser BOM?), up next to the outputs, are connected across V+ and V-(potential 60V give or take) whereas the 4 large caps down next to the power entry are across V+ or V- and ground(approx. 30V). I think this one is the same just 63V.

Also it looks like the .1uF 50V caps for the opamp power bypassing have no holes to go into on the pcb? It would appear they have pads for a SMD cap maybe. The Mouser part could be soldered to the pads, or maybe you could use something like this. It is a MLCC device so the solder pads are on the short sides unlike the picture.

Of course the pcb could always be changed to accomadate a radial part, or modified to fit both.

The .47uF opamp bypassing cap on your list has a lead spacing of 5mm, the pcb spacing is 7.5mm. The same cap with 7.5mm lead spacing.

Finally, I get 4 little (5mm lead spacing) power supply bypassing caps per board. If these are the .01uF Wima's on your list then you'll need 4 more. If the .47's above are for this role then add 2 more to that list(in addition to two 7.5mm caps for the opamps).

I apologize in advance Marc if I mucked up something that is woefully evident to everyone else, my eyes are not all that good and lack a good IC to my brain sometimes;D

It would appear(if my eyes don't decieve me) that the two large caps(1000uF 50V on your Mouser BOM?), up next to the outputs, are connected across V+ and V-

oops, yes you are correct. I looked around at Mouser some more and decided to change to the PM series. I don't think we need much capacitance here really. I've decided on these to prototype with, and feel free to use larger ratings / larger sizes. The PM series is a very good performer by the way, and usually better than the HE series, if I recall. I'm choosing these values as there are equivalents in the Elna Silmic II line as well (my favorite electrolytic)

647-UPM1K221MHD6

647-UPM1V471MHD6

Also it looks like the .1uF 50V caps for the opamp power bypassing have no holes to go into on the pcb? It would appear they have pads for a SMD cap maybe.

good catch. The most recent version of the board was changed to a 0.1" pitch TH cap instead of the SMD pad.

The .47uF opamp bypassing cap on your list has a lead spacing of 5mm, the pcb spacing is 7.5mm. The same cap with 7.5mm lead spacing.

good catch again. I think 2.5mm, 5mm, and 7.5mm will all fit. Seems that the cap you recommended should fit fine, I'll add it, unless anyone sees something we don't ...

Finally, I get 4 little (5mm lead spacing) power supply bypassing caps per board. If these are the .01uF Wima's on your list then you'll need 4 more. If the .47's above are for this role then add 2 more to that list(in addition to two 7.5mm caps for the opamps).

yeah, I was thinking about using a pair of the 0.47uF for the larger caps and a pair of the 0.01uF for the smaller caps. I think I'll change all four to be the Wima FKP2 and while I'm at it increase them to 100V caps.

I apologize in advance Marc if I mucked up something that is woefully evident to everyone else, my eyes are not all that good and lack a good IC to my brain sometimes;D

no, you've been super helpful! I very much appreciate the feedback, and it goes without saying that the rest of the group buy members do too!

updated BOM:

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=69a573ab56

Pcb layout looks good to me compared to Jacob's and Kevin's schematics. Hat's off to Jacob for what I think is a great looking board.

There is the possibility that someone may want to use some electrolytics that may only be available with 5mm lead spacing. Rubycon ZL's would be one.

This would be a show stopper in red mask.

Pcb layout looks good to me compared to Jacob's and Kevin's schematics. Hat's off to Jacob for what I think is a great looking board.

+1

I've made a final change to the BOM and plan on order parts today for the PoC boards. I changed from the Xicon 2/5/10ohm resistors to the Vishay/BC, as it seems that we are not going to get the extra space we need for the above resistors. The BC are a very compact package (1W for the 5/10 and 2W for the 2R), but are 5% resistors. I think these will work fine for the time being.

Again, the BOM is at:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=69a573ab56

Okay looks like pending the last final change + double checking from j4cbo we are good to go on ordering prototype boards. I am going to do this and pay for it and have them sent to luvdunhill. He/KG and possibly Digger are going to prototype with parts that luvdunhill is supplying and pending that we are moving forward with the big order.

Luvdunhill and Digger have already prototyped the circuit with hacked up dynahi boards and it seems kosher so they anticipate no big issues with these prototype boards as its only to confirm lay out.

So the cost of the prototype boards and parts is going to be added to the cost of the big order and distributed across everybody. Does that sound fair?

Okay looks like pending the last final change + double checking from j4cbo we are good to go on ordering prototype boards. I am going to do this and pay for it and have them sent to luvdunhill. He/KG and possibly Digger are going to prototype with parts that luvdunhill is supplying and pending that we are moving forward with the big order.

Luvdunhill and Digger have already prototyped the circuit with hacked up dynahi boards and it seems kosher so they anticipate no big issues with these prototype boards as its only to confirm lay out.

So the cost of the prototype boards and parts is going to be added to the cost of the big order and distributed across everybody. Does that sound fair?

Sounds quite fine here :D Fingers crossed for the PCBs working as expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Another trick I've used in a pinch is to take the (in this case HS) to the hardware and find another pin that's loose in the hole to use to help give you some more "reach". I've also used a nail but they can be kinda soft. Lowes or Home Depot may have punches that are a bit longer than mine.