Anyone who can compare GS1000 to PS1000

Blackmore

I guess my question then is to who? Who is the audience that appreciates this piercing treble? Obviously they are out there somewhere.

It's a golden ears thing -- those of us who aren't super-sensitive to sibilance (yes, "us" means including me, meaning that I'm not sensitive to sibilance, not that I'm a golden-ears) like airiness and detail. And yes, I agree bright, and a shift towards treble can induce an illusion of air and detail, but think about the converse of that statement as well -- a pair of cans that do have gobs of air and detail will sound like they are shifted towards the bright and treble-y, too, although it won't necessarily be an illusion.

I for one like a bright~ish presentation. However I'm very picky because I am very sensitive to sibilance. To me there are cans that can do bright minus the sibilance (K1000) and then there are cans that are bright and bring sibilance from hell ('05 DT990). Yes, I use the term "sparkly" to describe the sound that I like. To me, "sparkly" means a nice extended top end that is both refined and articulate minus the sibilance + airiness and detail. Sibilance is a BIG NO NO to me. >:(

I love the K1000, and I consider it among the brighter cans; I love that it has soo much texture and detail in the treble region and also, it has awesome extension. I've yet to notice any ear piercing sibilance in the K1000. Then there is the '05 DT990. I really dislike this headphone, its treble is mostly unrefined and there was tons of sibilance that was immediately apparent to me in a matter of seconds after I put them on.

Then there is the CD3000. Now, this little bugger, was kinda like middle ground, the treble was largely dependent on the up stream gear. Maybe the GS1000 is something like this(CD3000) just as Blackmore said? I dunno, since I have no experience with the GS1k; I can only speak for the other three headphones mentioned above.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that bright headphones do not necessarily mean piercing treble. There are some bright~ish headphones that are well behaved. I guess, bass heads that want textured, clean and tight bass have to weed out the boomy crap (cough*darth*cough*) and treble heads that wants a nice extended top end that is both refined and articulate(minus the sibilance) has to weed out the sibilant crap (cough*DT990*cough)...

For each is his own, thats the rule of the game and nothing you can do to change that, me, not even trying either.

I have tried K1000 from some differ set ups, where they were everything but good, or shining like a sun. But if the set up are correct, man, you have to look real hard for something better, imo, especially on vinyl. When I had them, using with TrendsAudio T10.1 stock, I never have had any piercing issue, amp is simply tuby sounding, way tuby than any of my tube amps... The mids and low end were good, not great, but real good, but extention not real like, just there but nothing to get exciting about. After I have got Zana, came accross EAR, so, the something I never planned happened, K1000 and Zana were sold to finance EAR. I simply couldnt resist that to find myself out whats that was all about, gladly I did. Now I know and, just maybe, I am ready to get K1000 back, but then with something top level to drive them. Not sure why, I think, after a while, its kind of boring to not try something else. But first, want to try PS1000, hopefully can do that somewhere in April/Mei.

CD3000 are one I didnt like that much, you have to give them some time to get in to their presentation, which I did, but to get into re-cable thing and stuf like that was bit to much for me, so, I sold them. I didnt get any chance to hear them with anything else, but from my set up they didnt sound natural and I dont believe you can change that much.

This fellow is the first owner, I guess, of NR.3 PS1000. You can see his impressions on HF, which are pretty similar to what he wrote up here.

And guys, stop joking around about GS1k. I do appreciate every man opinion, but give me some credit up here, dont make such shity comments like bloated bass and stuff like that. Buy/try fucking good/matched source/amp and then talk, thanks...

I wasn't joking around, that's what I heard from the GS1k, I forget what the source was but I if I remember correctly a recent Headroom Max was the amplifier. If you don't like the comment too bad.

Sarcasm is a good thing, but not when the ego sticks on ears.

You need to get off your high horse before you earn yourself a vacation. I've heard the GS1K on top flight gear, alongside both the prototype GS1Ks and vintage brown-headband RS-1s. The production GS1K is by far the worst of the three, plain and simple, no amount of source/amp/fucking is going to make it something it's not unless you are using your source to aritifically color the sound to make up for the GS1K's faults. That, in my opinion, is an ass-backwards approach to building a rig. So kindly check your own ego before posting again, just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we're wrong. You are free to enjoy whatever you want but if you try to force feed it to me one more time you won't like how that sounds either.

To begin with, this thread wasnt about how good/bad GS1000 are, even more, he was already dead, when people start to use it to bitch in up GS1k. Whats the point? Just because you dont like the phones doesnt give you the right to say/write everything but what I have asked for, isnt? My response was just rigth there to the point, done.

And if you want to say something say in full, otherwise its to confusing. I dont see anything, from my side, which shows my EGO on such way you described, so my way to post things will not change by anyhow, no matter what you or anybody else thinks, regarding this matter.

You need to get off your high horse before you earn yourself a vacation. I've heard the GS1K on top flight gear, alongside both the prototype GS1Ks and vintage brown-headband RS-1s. The production GS1K is by far the worst of the three, plain and simple, no amount of source/amp/fucking is going to make it something it's not unless you are using your source to aritifically color the sound to make up for the GS1K's faults. That, in my opinion, is an ass-backwards approach to building a rig. So kindly check your own ego before posting again, just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we're wrong. You are free to enjoy whatever you want but if you try to force feed it to me one more time you won't like how that sounds either.

Just because you dont like the phones doesnt give you the right to say/write everything but what I have asked for, isnt? My response was just rigth there to the point, done.

I don't think you get this place as well as you think you do.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard the PS1000 the other day at Todd Green's home. He also had the GS1000 (recabled with balanced Equinox) on hand to compare to. The amp, of course, was the TTVJ Millett 307A, and the source was a Meridian G8 (I believe). I got to listen to both headphones and make some comparisons, although I must admit that the listening was FAR too brief. And by the way, he also had a pair of PS1's to compare to, which was interesting.

The soundstage of the PS1000 was very good, and was equal to the GS1000 (even with its inherant advantage of being balanced). The bass was a little tighter, punchier, and better defined. Not by huge margins, but musically significant. The midrange on female vocals seemed a little more neutral, with the GS1000 seeming a little colored by comparison. I did not perceive much difference in the treble, but again, the listening session was short.

Differences worth the extra outlay of cash? Only you can decide. I have never been a big fan of the GS1000, but the refinements made to the PS1000 make me pause and consider getting one.

And for the PS1? Nice sound, punchy bass, very constricted (nonexistant?) soundstage...basically what I have heard with the HP1's and the HP2's, but with a little better bass. I liked the PS1000 far more.

Thanks for update, hmmm, so my guess would be that the midrange and low end, slightly, make them differ/better than GS1k, isnt?

Well, I would say it again, not that such thing would make any difference up here, but I never have had any midrange issues with my GS1k if the record quality were at good level. EAR HP4 is the best thing I tried them with and maybe the last I ever will.

Hopefully more folks will get PS1000 soon to make the picture bit complete. And I did like GS1000 more than any other Grado, include PS1...

THX

I heard the PS1000 the other day at Todd Green's home. He also had the GS1000 (recabled with balanced Equinox) on hand to compare to. The amp, of course, was the TTVJ Millett 307A, and the source was a Meridian G8 (I believe). I got to listen to both headphones and make some comparisons, although I must admit that the listening was FAR too brief. And by the way, he also had a pair of PS1's to compare to, which was interesting.

The soundstage of the PS1000 was very good, and was equal to the GS1000 (even with its inherant advantage of being balanced). The bass was a little tighter, punchier, and better defined. Not by huge margins, but musically significant. The midrange on female vocals seemed a little more neutral, with the GS1000 seeming a little colored by comparison. I did not perceive much difference in the treble, but again, the listening session was short.

Differences worth the extra outlay of cash? Only you can decide. I have never been a big fan of the GS1000, but the refinements made to the PS1000 make me pause and consider getting one.

And for the PS1? Nice sound, punchy bass, very constricted (nonexistant?) soundstage...basically what I have heard with the HP1's and the HP2's, but with a little better bass. I liked the PS1000 far more.

4N6, how would you describe the overall frequency balance of the PS1K vs the GS1K - darker? About the same? Brighter? More mid-range? (As the female vocal range doesn't cover the entire mid-range.) I'm sure you got at least a vague sense of how the PS1K sonically tilts in relation to the GS1K, right?

not so wildly speculating here, I'm gleaning that the PS1000 is more GS1000 then PS1. I was really hoping for the elusive combination of RS1/PS1 midrange with GS1000 soundstage and bass. but it sounds like the midrange will still be dry and sucked out.

that's an... interesting perspective.

It is what it is...and for the comparison I has relying on memory of what a pair of HP1's sounded like that I heard two weeks ago.

not so wildly speculating here, I'm gleaning that the PS1000 is more GS1000 then PS1. I was really hoping for the elusive combination of RS1/PS1 midrange with GS1000 soundstage and bass. but it sounds like the midrange will still be dry and sucked out.

Yes, the PS1000 that I listened to was still tilted towards the bass, but at least the bass was a little tighter and better defined. It is also COMPLETELY different that the PS1, yet somewhat similar to the GS1000, especially in regards to the soundstage.

I blame the inadequate amplification.

You only WISH your amplifier was that inadaquate! :D