The death of fidelity.

Tyll Hertsens

I read a commend on Slashdot comparing it to the distortion inherent of vacuum tubes. I hope no one argues in favor of mp3s someday like they argue in favor of the distortion of vacuum tubes. I'm firmly in the soft clipping camp without "sizzle". Those don't even seem comparable.

Well it is Slashdot after all. I've been lurking Slashdot for over a decade now (without an account no less), and there's plenty of off-the-wall comments like that. Whenever someone there claims it's possible for something to sound better than MP3s they get jumped on because it goes against the house groupthink. Actually seeing someone admit MP3 is not perfect is a surprising step in the right direction for the place I'd say.

I'd be amused to see a scientific argument suggesting that the brain filters out MP3 sizzle though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone remember the "fuzz" fad that was on head-fi a while ago? Don't know if it's still going on, might be, for all I know. Is that the same thing (as the "sizzle" mentioned in the article)?

Yep Fuzzy's Fuzzbox or something of that nature, I think I had that in my sig for a while. And yeah it generally referred to a preference for tubes, vinyl, Senn headphones, or some similar lush sound. Grados were the anti-fuzz, if I remember the definition right.

Original thread in its' original glory. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/noobs-faq-about-fuzz-128819/

But then, it looks like Dusty's already seen it.

Edited by NightWoundsTime